QUALEX SAID THEY DON'T.....

Old December 4th 04, 04:19 PM
Rod Smith

In article . net,
"Jeremy" writes:

"aclg" wrote in message
news:1101771953.QHIoPXpqSKFOiLLiX9I+fw@teranews...

The representative said, "(qualex) does not have the ability to honor
special requests for processing.

As unsettling as their response was, it makes perfect sense. You require
the services of a custom lab, and Qualex does not offer the level of service
you desire.

Rather than try to convince us all to get mad at them, why don't you just
find yourself an appropriate lab?

I think the problem is that Qualex, like most photofinishers, provides a
space on their mailers (and presumably their retail partners' film
envelopes) marked "special instructions" or some such. (I don't recall
the precise wording offhand.) By providing that space, they're strongly
implying that they actually read that space and follow those
instructions. If they just ignore those instructions, they shouldn't have
that box. If it's meant for something other than obvious special
processing requests (push or pull processing, leaving slides unmounted,
etc.), then they should provide explicit text saying what types of
requests they can and cannot honor, or replace the box with more explicit
options you could check. Providing an unexplained space for free-form
"special instructions" is opening the door to complaints like the OP's.

--
Rod Smith,
http://www.rodsbooks.com

Old December 13th 04, 03:19 PM
Mike King

What type of film? If it is C-41 negative film you should be aware that
C-41 print film is incapable of pushing and that the type of equipment that
photofinishers use would not be able to push film (even if it were indeed
pushable) since all the rolls are spliced together before developing.
(There are some C-41 films that are hyped as pushable but are not pushable
in reality.)

I have worked both sides of the counter and know that if you had just asked
(or even read their price list) before sending off your film you would have
realized this.

And you sent a "negative of high value" to Qualex through Target and then
bitch about their service. Too funny. Qualex is for amateur pics or
parties and such, not once in a lifetime or mission critical work. And I
don't know about the store in question but if the tone of your complaint to
this NG was anything like your in person episode in the store I would have
called the police to ask you to leave. (And I suspect it was a lot
stronger.)

And if you are selling posters made by Qualex to the public at shows or
galleries, do you tell them where you get your prints and that there might
be some longevity issues 25-35 years down the road?

If you feel you are being treated unfairly talk, calmly!, to the department
manager and then the store's general manager, put it in writing, get their
response in writing (and don't put anything in writing that's the least bit
slanderous or libelous or threatening because they might sue you, just the
facts!) You might also want to state what your expectations a time for
a response, what you feel would be an appropriate response, etc. I know
that Target also has an area manager and a district manager (not sure of the
exact titles) and that the plant where your work was sent will have a plant
manager, etc.

Now you are addressing your problem in a forum where the Q will not have a
chance to reply, I use Qualex for Qualex-type pics, and I use Walmart (Love
the digital Frontier!), and a local one hour when I'm in a hurry, BUT, if I
were shooting for exhibit or when it's stuff I am being paid for, I use a
custom lab. More expensive? Sure, but how much does it cost to treat an
ulcer?
--
darkroommike

----------
"aclg" wrote in message
> [...]

Kevin Wrote:
Called Qualex on Friday. I sent the 3 rolls that I needed pushed 1
stop. I received them back, developed, and not pushed at all. I
called thinking maybe they did not see the not on the envelope, or the
one enclosed inside, or written on the canister of each. The answer I
received from them shocked me.

The representative said, "(qualex) does not have the ability to honor
special requests for processing. they come in and we process them in
groups. If we were to actually pay attention to processing requests
we would never be able to process the volume that we do here."

He then advised me that if I didn't like the way my film was
processed, I should consider finding a local mini lab, and pay twice
as much.

So I did....

While we are on the subject of QUALEX...here's my beef, and out of it
i'd like to get an email contact for them.
Long story short, they've been giving my wife and I the runaround for a
month, they screwed up a bunch of my enlargements for an upcoming show,
and we finally went back to get target to call and complain. QUALEX
(which I hope doesn't stand for quality exposure) has been lying to us
for over a month saying that our request to find out about a missing
poster size and negative of high value, was sent through to lab...it
wasn't because apparently we were too aggressive on the phone. BOYCOTT
QUALEX and shut them down.

--
aclg

Old December 13th 04, 05:01 PM
DaveHodge

If it is C-41 negative film you should be aware that
C-41 print film is incapable of pushing

Without trying to be a resident carmugeon, you need to do a lot of reading and
study on the characteristics of the materials you are using. (I did my own
color developing and printing in the 1970's and that was invaluable experience
in understanding the medium.)

When you are dealing with three or more color sensitive emulsion layers on the
film, and you tried to change the manufacturer's development recommendations,
you can screw up one or more color layers and the final result will be
horrendous.

Black & white films can be pushed, sometimes. E-6 films can be pushed,
sometimes, by strictly following the manufactuers's recommendations. But, as
someone has wisely pointed out, C-41 cannot be pushed. It might possibly be
pushed if you were doing it yourself in your own lab, but the commercial labs
are set up for one approach only and that's what you get.

Best regards and Merry Christmas. David Hodge at the top of the Chesapeake
Bay.

Old December 13th 04, 05:46 PM
dooey

"DaveHodge" wrote in message
If it is C-41 negative film you should be aware that
C-41 print film is incapable of pushing

Black & white films can be pushed, sometimes. E-6 films can be pushed,
sometimes, by strictly following the manufactuers's recommendations. But,

as
someone has wisely pointed out, C-41 cannot be pushed. It might possibly

be
pushed if you were doing it yourself in your own lab, but the commercial

labs
are set up for one approach only and that's what you get.

Best regards and Merry Christmas. David Hodge at the top of the

Chesapeake
Bay.

I know of a few pro places with push kits fitted to their film pros.

A push kit enables the machines transport to be slowed in order to increase
dev time. It is rare, but it is possible and there are labs out there.

--
Dooey.

Old December 15th 04, 01:29 AM
Kevin

Funny thing is I think I posted this about 6 months ago...

I have since moved on to getting my film developed elsewhere.

someone in this thread said pushing film was not possible??? what
film do you use? I have pushed Kodak supra 400 up to 2 stops with
good results (your opinion may vary)

I have since had several rolls developed by qualex, and the quality is
lacking. I have never seen anyone make really bland dull color prints
from Kodak 400UC, by they have it down to a pat. they can even do it
lately to Supra 400.

Well have fun all