flying, film and X-rays

Old February 3rd 04, 05:03 AM
JRF

Default flying, film and X-rays OT - Bob

"Lester Higgins" wrote in message
ink.net...
Bob-
Interesting input older x-ray machines, specifically the user's

ability
to "adjust" them. Can you be more specific?
I've worked on a number of early 80's vintage PerkinElmer x-ray machines

in
airports, but have never seen one that was adjustable
"on-the-fly".

Over the years there have been security x-rays by Perkin-Elmer, Pickering,
and others (even General Electric long ago), and the features were not the
same on all these gizmos. Some had a rheostat for adjusting voltage to the
x-ray tube, which allowed the operator to increase the energy of the x-rays,
and that is the characteristic that determines how well the x-rays
penetrate. Unfortunately, when the powered-up x-rays were penetrating the
bag more effectively, they were also penetrating thru the shielding around
the machine, too. The traveling public wasn't really affected - none were
present around the machines long enough to get a meaningful exposure. But
the guards who were there 40 hours a week got higher doses than planned.

There was another effect. Ramping up the voltage (and those tubes run in
the 70,000 to 100,000 volt range) also ramped up the heat generated and thus
the wear and tear on the tube. Turning it up too fast also strained the
tube and tended to shorten its life expectancy.

The adjustable machines weren't used everywhere - there was no effort in
those days to standardize the hardware or the detection capability. And
your experience is probably more typical of what was available in the more
significant airports. The adjustable machines I saw were only in
backwater-types - Muscle Shoals, Alabama and Rapid City, South Dakota are
the two I remember specifically.

And I suppose you can say they are "pulsed", in that items are x-rayed in
"slices" and the images are assembled by
video boards ( or nowadays, the computer inside ), and the image moves
across the monitor to coincide with the movement of the belt.

The gate security machines used by the TSA now are powered by a capacitive
discharge-type tube that is truly a pulsed device. The flash duration is in
the same neighborhood as an average electronic flash. The operator can take
images in rapid succession, but there isn't a true continuous display of a
moving image.

The slices you talk of are the CT scan technology used for checked luggage.
The narrowly focused x-rays pass thru the bag in slices that generate planar
images that are assembled in a computer to approximate a three-dimensional
image of the contents without opening the bag. Pretty cool way to do
business, IMHO.

I have to deal with these devices routinely because I run a radiation
dosimetry program. The dosimeters are used to measure work-related dose
from radiation like x-rays, among others. I have people who take dosimeters
with them when they travel, and I'm constantly reminding them to take them
in their carry-on because the exposure of the dosimeter is unmeasurably
small, while the CT scan of checked luggage blows them away (not in the
sense of damaging the dosimeter but delivering a dose so large that the
dosimeter becomes useless for determining that person's occupational dose).

Probably more than anyone want to know (TMI).

Bob in Las Vegas

Old February 3rd 04, 05:54 PM
Lisa Horton

Default flying, film and X-rays

Out of the cans, in a clear ziplock bag, presented with a good attitude.

Lisa

Craig wrote:

Hello...I know this topic has been hashed before (I've been going over the
old Google archives), but it seems that the opinions are all over the map.
I'm going to be making a trip from Cincinnati to Manila via Taipei and Los
Angeles and will be bringing a fair amount of film (35mm, 25 rolls with ASA
range from 64 to 400 all of it slide film and about 50 rolls of APS print
film with an ASA range of 100 to 800). I would prefer to have the film hand
inspected, given the number of security machines I will encounter round
trip. What would be the best way to present the film in order to make the
TSA more likely to agree to hand inspection. Is it okay to leave the film
in the sealed cardboard boxes? (I would rather travel with it that way, but
it would be a mess to have to open every package in security). I also plan
on putting the film into clear ziploc bags. Should I then put the ziploc
bag into a lead pouch (for use after leaving the U.S) and hand them the
entire package, or simply hand them the clear ziploc? What I'm looking for
is a consenus...what have others found to be the most likely way to get hand
inspection of film while making it as painless as possible.
Craig

Old February 4th 04, 12:52 AM
Bob

Lisa Horton wrote:

Out of the cans, in a clear ziplock bag, presented with a good attitude.

Lisa

You're right Lisa. A good attitude goes a long way. I forgot to
mention that .

Bob

Old February 4th 04, 01:07 AM
Jim Davis Sr.

"Shawn "Me" Hearn" wrote in message
"Craig" wrote:

Hello...I know this topic has been hashed before (I've been going over

the
old Google archives), but it seems that the opinions are all over the

map.

Leave the film at home (or don't even buy it) and travel with a digital
camera.

I have to agree, Digital is the way to go. No matter how careful you
are, you won't know anything until the film is developed. Then it's too
late.

Old February 4th 04, 06:32 AM
F. D. Lewis

"Craig" wrote in message ...
What would be the best way to present the film in order to make the
TSA more likely to agree to hand inspection. ... leave the film
in the sealed cardboard boxes? ... clear ziploc bags ... lead pouch

why not check with the experts. can you spell google? I knew you
could!!!!!

from: http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?co...0005198006eedf

Other Tips and Precautions:

If you plan to request a hand inspection of your film, you should
consider carrying your film in clear canisters, or taking the film out
of solid colored canisters and putting it into clear plastic bags, to
expedite the screening process.

If you are going to be traveling through multiple X-ray examinations
with the same rolls of undeveloped film, you may want to request a
hand-inspection of your film. However, non-U.S. airports may not honor
this request.

If you plan to hand-carry undeveloped film on an airplane at an
international airport, contact the airport security office at that
airport to request a manual inspection.

Consider having your exposed film processed locally before passing
through airport security on your return trip.

We recommend that you do not place your film in lead-lined bags since
the lead bag will have to be hand-inspected. If you have concerns
about the impact of the X-ray machine on your undeveloped film, you
can request a hand inspection.

You may still consider bringing a lead-lined bag if you are traveling
through airports in other countries as their policies may vary. Check
with your airline or travel agent for more information on foreign
airports.

from: http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/su...l/xray4P.shtml

HAND-CARRIED BAGGAGE

Carry-on baggage inspection conveyors using low intensity x-rays, used
at security checkpoints in US airports, usually do not affect film.
However, these machines may now be supplemented in some cases by high
intensity machines that will fog all unprocessed film. Travelers
should be wary of all scanners at foreign airports.

Travelers should politely insist on hand-inspection of their film.
Carry a changing bag for use by the inspector. Demonstrate how it is
used, with a can of fogged film as an example. However, there is no
guarantee that your request will be granted by local inspectors, who
may insist on x-ray inspection. Hand inspection may not be permitted
in some airports outside the US.

2. US MAIL STERILIZATION
The United States Postal Service is installing new equipment to
sterilize items sent through the mail. For security reasons, they are
not disclosing whether this process will be limited to letters, or if
parcels and other packages will also be included.

Until further tests are conducted, it would be wise to assume that the
high energy beams used in the sterilization equipment will fog or
damage all film - processed or unprocessed, exposed or unexposed,
negative or print. In addition, photographic prints, slides, DVDs,
picture CDs, CD-ROMs, video tapes and even the CCD sensors in video
cameras and other products may be affected. Because those materials
often contain valuable - and sometimes, irreplaceable, images - Kodak
recommends that you err on the side of caution until more information
is available.
Old February 16th 04, 08:20 PM
Lisa Horton

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote:

I agree with Lisa. Attitude goes a long, long way.

I might go so far as to say that attitude is THE KEY. These people are
not rocket scientists, proper handling can go a LONG way towards
accomplishing your goal, to put it in a discreet way

Lisa