Dektol formula?

Old August 14th 08, 12:16 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Michael[_6_]

Default Dektol formula?

On 2008-08-12 17:23:09 -0400, Larry said:

Does anyone have a formula for Kodak Dektol. thanks once again in
advance

Larry Kriese

This is, I trust, a largely intellectual exercise. Last I checked
Dektol was neither hard to find nor expensive. And it comes neatly
packaged.
--
Michael

Old August 14th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 8/13/2008 4:16 PM Michael spake thus:

On 2008-08-12 17:23:09 -0400, Larry said:

Does anyone have a formula for Kodak Dektol. thanks once again in
advance

This is, I trust, a largely intellectual exercise. Last I checked
Dektol was neither hard to find nor expensive. And it comes neatly
packaged.

Yes; I've always wondered why people are after such information as this.
I can see wanting formulas for pyro developers and other exotic stuff,
but Dektol? Just go out and buy it. Do people actually mix their own?

It drags itself out of the dark abyss of pish, and crawls insanely up
the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and
doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken
Old August 14th 08, 06:04 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Michael wrote:

This is, I trust, a largely intellectual exercise. Last I checked
Dektol was neither hard to find nor expensive. And it comes neatly
packaged.

Maybe for you. Outside of the U.S., and maybe Canada, it is not easy to find.
Besides the fact that black and white developing products and film have all
but disapeared from stores (a sad comment, not the start of a debate),
on this side of the world Kodak products were never popular.

They were available, and Kodak color film and digital cameras are common,
but there was a lot more Ilford, Agfa and Tetnal than Kodak.

You can't mail order it. Since 9/11 it can't be shipped air mail, and
international surface mail has all but disapeared.

The only way I could get my hands on anything less than a container load
would be to convince someone moving here to stuff a few cans in their
container of household goods. Now that the boat portion of international
shipping has almost doubled in price, that's almost impossible.

I am lucky in a way because there is an art school here that considers itself
"world class", and insists that their students learn film photgraphy. This
supports a single camera store's ability to stock things like 120 film,
Holga's (at $75 each for the one without flash), and a few bottles
of liquid developing chemicals.

The day they drop film photography completely, there will be no supplies
sold in the entire country. :-(

Geoff.

Old August 14th 08, 10:56 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Jean-David Beyer

On 2008-08-12 17:23:09 -0400, Larry said:

Does anyone have a formula for Kodak Dektol. thanks once again in
advance

This is, I trust, a largely intellectual exercise. Last I checked
Dektol was neither hard to find nor expensive. And it comes neatly
packaged.

Yes; I've always wondered why people are after such information as this.
I can see wanting formulas for pyro developers and other exotic stuff,
but Dektol? Just go out and buy it. Do people actually mix their own?

Possibly if they live in places where you cannot buy Dektol. But in such
places, I would wonder if you could get all the components. Sulphite might
be OK, as might the carbonate. But the paramethylaminosulphate and the
hydroquinone?

^^-^^ 05:55:01 up 7 days, 12:01, 4 users, load average: 4.08, 4.34, 4.27
Old August 14th 08, 11:24 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Jean-David Beyer wrote:

Possibly if they live in places where you cannot buy Dektol. But in such
places, I would wonder if you could get all the components. Sulphite might
be OK, as might the carbonate. But the paramethylaminosulphate and the
hydroquinone?

Sulphite can be bought at a pool supply. From my experience, several
people have heard of one near here, but no one actually knows where it
is, what it is called, and how it is listed (if it is listed at all)
in the phone book.

Carbonate is not available here as washing soda, but someone who makes
soap gave me the name of a company that sells sodium hydroxide and may
sell carbonate too.

Paramethylaminosulphate and hydroquinone, would have to be imported in
someone's luggage, but you might be able to get it if it can be sent
via airmail and the customs people don't get upset. My guess is that
by the time you paid for postage, taxes, customs clearing, etc, it
would cost over $100 for the equivalent of 1 liter of developer.

As an aside, I once tried to make "tylenol" developer, and gave up because
of the price. Although the world's largest manufacturer of generic drugs
is located here, the price of them over the counter is too high to make it
worth it. Due to socialized medicine, I can get a bottle of 50 with a
prescription for about $3-$4, but enough to make developer out of
would be too expensive. There is no equivalent of Sam's Club or Costco
selling bottles of 500. :-(

Someday when I have time to spend, I may experiment with a coffee developer.
The ingredients are easy to find and if I give up, I can drink the
unused main ingredient.

Geoff.

Old August 14th 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 8/14/2008 2:56 AM Jean-David Beyer spake thus:

On 2008-08-12 17:23:09 -0400, Larry said:

Does anyone have a formula for Kodak Dektol. thanks once again in
advance

This is, I trust, a largely intellectual exercise. Last I checked
Dektol was neither hard to find nor expensive. And it comes neatly
packaged.

Yes; I've always wondered why people are after such information as this.
I can see wanting formulas for pyro developers and other exotic stuff,
but Dektol? Just go out and buy it. Do people actually mix their own?

Possibly if they live in places where you cannot buy Dektol. But in such
places, I would wonder if you could get all the components. Sulphite might
be OK, as might the carbonate. But the paramethylaminosulphate and the
hydroquinone?

So where in the world besides Israel can one *not* readily obtain Dektol
(or Ilford's equivalent)? Geoff Mendelson's travails notwithstanding,
I'm pretty sure it's easily available in most places in the U.S., in
Yurp, and in the rest of the UK.

Old August 14th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Starr

On 2008-08-12 17:23:09 -0400, Larry said:

Does anyone have a formula for Kodak Dektol. thanks once again in
advance

This is, I trust, a largely intellectual exercise. Last I checked
Dektol was neither hard to find nor expensive. And it comes neatly
packaged.

Yes; I've always wondered why people are after such information as this.
I can see wanting formulas for pyro developers and other exotic stuff,
but Dektol? Just go out and buy it. Do people actually mix their own?

I don't mix Dektol - D-72 - because I use a modified Ansco 130 for prints. You
don't really need a huge assortment of chemicals on hand to mix just about any
developer, film or print, that you may want to try. As far as going out &
buying it, the closest place to me that MIGHT have it in stock is 50 miles away.

Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant.
Speak softly and carry a loaded .45
Lifetime member; Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
Web Site: www.destarr.com
Old August 15th 08, 07:29 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 8/14/2008 2:44 PM David Starr spake thus:

On 2008-08-12 17:23:09 -0400, Larry said:

Does anyone have a formula for Kodak Dektol. thanks once again in
advance

This is, I trust, a largely intellectual exercise. Last I checked
Dektol was neither hard to find nor expensive. And it comes neatly
packaged.

Yes; I've always wondered why people are after such information as this.
I can see wanting formulas for pyro developers and other exotic stuff,
but Dektol? Just go out and buy it. Do people actually mix their own?

I don't mix Dektol - D-72 - because I use a modified Ansco 130 for prints. You
don't really need a huge assortment of chemicals on hand to mix just about any
developer, film or print, that you may want to try. As far as going out &
buying it, the closest place to me that MIGHT have it in stock is 50 miles away.

Whereas the places you buy the chemicals to mix it are how far away?

--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
population into concentration camps and turn the country into a

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority".

Dektol formula? jch In The Darkroom 9 August 14th 08 04:27 AM
Dektol formula? Richard Knoppow In The Darkroom 0 August 12th 08 11:18 PM
Dektol formula? jch In The Darkroom 0 August 12th 08 11:14 PM
Cooler than Dektol? lew In The Darkroom 8 December 18th 05 07:16 PM
Old Dektol 10x@_telus.net In The Darkroom 4 February 22nd 04 07:58 AM