Push, pull, contrast etc.

Old June 2nd 04, 07:49 PM
Michael Scarpitti

Default Push, pull, contrast etc.

"Tomas Daniska" wrote in message ...
post.usenet.com does not seem to spread my messages any longer so i'm trying
repost via something else

Alan Browne" wrote in message

Okay? Well no. It turns out that the 1 to 1 pushing for underexposed
film is not quite right for all films.

EliteChrome 200 for example. Pushes very nice, but the EI (exposure
Index) should not be one to one with the processing... rate it at 320
and push 1 (eg: under expose by 2/3, but push 1).

...rate it at 640 and push 2.

A common practice with Portra 160 is to over
expose it by 2/3... EI at 100. But no 'pull' processing is required.
It just looks best this way (of course taking advantage of the
overexposure tolerance of the film).

Many shoot Velvia at 40 'stead of 50... they want the saturation lowered
a bit (slide film here) and the slide 'thinned out'. No 'pull' during
processing is applied.

[BTW: It is best, where equipment allows it, to use the ISO setting to
EI the film, leaving EXP COMP for those individual frames where the
meter needs compensation due to scene reflectivity...]

lots of thanks to you Alan, and also Richard Knoppow and others for your
brilliant answers - I think I now have an idea to "ping" my favorite lab
with test shoots and find out how to take shoots so I can get the most bang
from them.

If I could start one more flamewar here (c'mon Michael!), the question would
be:

How about time-based vs. temperature-based pushing?

Don't do either. Pushing does not work.