Slides for Garden Photograpjy

Old May 13th 04, 05:21 PM
Sander Vesik

Default Slides for Garden Photograpjy

In rec.photo.film+labs Peter Eisenburger wrote:
Thank you guys for your help. Here are the first impressions of the garden:

http://www.eisenburger.de/Projekte/Schulz/index.html

I'm not yet satisfied with the koi, of course, though these koi pictures
are bitmap edited already. I will test one or two other techniques
including pol filter and will let you know.

Did you consider a warm-up filter? Some of the pictures have a lot of blue
- I have the same problem my self quite often.

I too noticed that my Nikkor zoom is not sharp enough at 28mm. So I'm
trying to get the 28/2.8 at ebay right now

Peter

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Old May 15th 04, 01:54 PM
Javi

Sander Vesik wrote:

Did you consider a warm-up filter? Some of the pictures have a lot of blue
- I have the same problem my self quite often.

It could also be a trouble with the scanner, or a mixture of both.
Old May 16th 04, 08:28 PM
Peter Eisenburger

Javi wrote:
Sander Vesik wrote:

Did you consider a warm-up filter? Some of the pictures have a lot of
blue
- I have the same problem my self quite often.

It could also be a trouble with the scanner, or a mixture of both.

It was the scanner. Scanning Velvia 50 can be cruel. Have not yet any
experience with Velvia 100. Just received my first 25 rolls

But yes I have to correct it by adjusting the blue channel in the
scanning process or the colour balance in my bitmap editing software.

Thank you two for having a close look. I worship it because I probably
will order some digital prints from the scans for my customer.

Peter

Old May 18th 04, 09:41 PM
Alan Browne

Peter Eisenburger wrote:

Javi wrote:

Sander Vesik wrote:

Did you consider a warm-up filter? Some of the pictures have a lot of
blue
- I have the same problem my self quite often.

It could also be a trouble with the scanner, or a mixture of both.

It was the scanner. Scanning Velvia 50 can be cruel. Have not yet any
experience with Velvia 100. Just received my first 25 rolls

I've rarely had trouble scanning Velvia (50) and the new 100F has
scanned well too (only a couple rolls to date). (Minolta Dimage Scan
Dual and DSE 5400). Some people thin their slides out (EI 40) and this
also helps scanning.

As the poster above says, a warming filter (in the shade on a sunny day)
will help control those blues enormously.

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

Old May 21st 04, 01:56 PM
Peter Eisenburger

I use the Nikon Coolscan III and found that - at least with the factory
settings - greens in Velvia 50 turn to blue easily. But it can be
corrected in a bitmap editing program easily. I use Corel PhotoPaint.

See the two pictures. One is as you saw it, the other with colour
balance correction and a lot like the original slide.

http://www.eisenburger.de/jpgs/Kiefer_und_Azalee.jpg

http://www.eisenburger.de/jpgs/Kiefe...zalee_korr.jpg

But I will consider the filter nevertheless. Thank you.

Peter

Alan Browne wrote:

http://www.petereisenburger.de

Old May 22nd 04, 10:18 AM
Javi

Jim Davis wrote:
On Wed, 12 May 2004 21:34:19 +0200, Peter Eisenburger
wrote/replied to:

Thank you guys for your help. Here are the first impressions of the garden:

http://www.eisenburger.de/Projekte/Schulz/index.html

I'm not yet satisfied with the koi, of course, though these koi pictures
are bitmap edited already. I will test one or two other techniques
including pol filter and will let you know.

I hate to say it, but the colour from my 10D would blow away all those
slide films :-)

Is this a flame or just an off topic?
Old May 22nd 04, 08:02 PM
Alan Browne

wrote/replied to:

Thank you guys for your help. Here are the first impressions of the garden:

http://www.eisenburger.de/Projekte/Schulz/index.html

I'm not yet satisfied with the koi, of course, though these koi pictures
are bitmap edited already. I will test one or two other techniques
including pol filter and will let you know.

I hate to say it, but the colour from my 10D would blow away all those
slide films :-)

chuckle.

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

Old May 23rd 04, 07:58 AM
Peter Eisenburger

I beg your pardon. These pictures on the link are only quickly scanned
previews for the customer - which I also showed to the newsgroup and a
thread on photo.net. -

I think you know that if you really want to compare the capabilities of
35 mm Velvia to a digital camera you can start with a camera in the
price range of 8,000 $. Not speaking of middle format.

Peter

Old May 29th 04, 05:02 PM
Peter Eisenburger

Oh boy. Doing a resume of your last posts in this thread here would be:
"Why do you post and ask here at all when your pictures aren't perfect
already?"

Yes, the scans were done quick - if you feel scared about it, don't look
at them. As you can easily read in my first message the background of
posting the link was getting advice in a special situation - I didn't
post saying "Look at these great photos!"

Further on I took a look at _your_ portfolio. Only one page - that was
enough. I chose a page also showing a garden:

http://jimdavis.oberro.com/galleries/sumpu/sumpu.html

The pictures there and your statement say it all:

"Note: Showing off the fine quality of these photos on the Web is
impossible. Fine details are lost, colours faded, and lovely tonal
ranges are gone. Please appreciate that these images are sharp and have
excellent quality that is only obvious in a real print. If you like an
image, please go here for a print."

Want me to comment in the same way _you_ did?

Please take a look at my web site at the bottom of the message and
compare. Then make a last post which I leave to you and our conversation
will be ended.

Peter

wrote/replied to:

Thank you guys for your help. Here are the first impressions of the garden:

http://www.eisenburger.de/Projekte/Schulz/index.html

I'm not yet satisfied with the koi, of course, though these koi pictures
are bitmap edited already. I will test one or two other techniques
including pol filter and will let you know.

I too noticed that my Nikkor zoom is not sharp enough at 28mm. So I'm
trying to get the 28/2.8 at ebay right now

I went back and looked more closely at those 'previews'. They all look
quite bluish, with some blown out highlights, muddy shadows, and
generally poor snap. Not to mention there is nothing inspiring in the
actual image content.

Since you insist on using a very fine grain film and a zoom is not
sharp enough for you, I am assuming these images will be destined to a
two page spread in Better Homes and Gardens? I think not, if you even
have to post here asking about which film to use. Oh well.

Hey, do yourself a real favour. Rent or borrow a 6 megapixel DSLR for
a day and then come back and tell me what you think.

--
http://www.petereisenburger.de