I'm guessing that Kodak will kill Kodachrome within the next 24 months

Old November 22nd 03, 02:15 AM
Michael A. Covington

Default I'm guessing that Kodak will kill Kodachrome within the next 24 months

"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message
om...
"John Horner" wrote in message

That you can't see. Kodachrome kills all E-6 films. EASILY.

Really. Have you done any of your own side by side comparisons lately?

John

Yes, really. The E-6 films still look fuzzy and the colr's always off,
compared to Kdachrome. the only adavantage is a little finer grain
with some of them, but the sharpness still is NOTICEABLY lower.

Which E-6 films have you tried lately, and what seems wrong about the color?

The color rendering of E-6 films -- that is, mapping real-world images onto
E-6 color dyes -- has gotten a lot better in the past decade.

But another factor may be at work.

There is lots of individual variation in human color vision. Besides severe
forms of color blindness, there are numerous, common, slight anomalies of
color vision. The most common anomaly is for the red-sensitive cells to
have their maximum sensitivity to a slightly different wavelength than the
usual one. This is called "anomalous trichromatic" vision.

Since color film does not reproduce the actual spectrum of the subject, it
has to rely on human color vision. People with anomalous vision may find
that some films (and paints) look very wrong to them, when other people
can't see the problem. And vice versa.

There is speculation that if you inherit a normal trichromatic system from
one parent and an anomalous one from the other parent, you might end up with
a working four-color system (red, orange, green, blue). Do a Google search
for "tetrachromat" to find out the state of the question. I seem to recall
that only females can end up tetrachromatic, and that there is some doubt
whether tetrachromats actually exist.

Getting back to my point -- Kodachrome dyes are different from Ektachrome
dyes (which, in turn, are all the same, throughout Process E-6, as far as I
know). Someone whose eyes don't match E-6 dyes might well find that
Kodachrome has considerably better color. I'm the other way around;
apparently my eyes match the E-6 dyes a lot better than the K-14 dyes,
because the way it looks to me, there are a lot of colors that Kodachrome
doesn't reproduce very well.

And if you're tetrachromatic, the world will seem to be *full* of paints
that don't match, color pictures that are unrealistic, and so forth!

Old November 22nd 03, 06:00 AM
Michael A. Covington

And if you're tetrachromatic, the world will seem to be *full* of paints
that don't match, color pictures that are unrealistic, and so forth!

I should add one more thing. An awful lot of men are color-blind without
knowing it. If it's a case of anomalous trichromatic vision (the most
common kind), you will still be able to distinguish *bright* colors and put
the right names to them. In fact, anomalous trichromats sometimes think
they have unusually keen color vision. And some of them work in the paint
industry, because they can distinguish some subtle differences that ordinary
people can't (and, conversely, cannot make some distinctions that ordinary
people can).

If the colors in Kodachrome 25 look a *lot* better to you than the colors
in, say, Elite Chrome 100, I'd start wondering about anomalous color vision.
Kodak has done their best to get them to look the same, to people with
normal color vision.

(I'm worried about myself because, to me, Kodachrome doesn't look very good;
other people don't see that much of a difference between Kodachrome and
Ektachrome.)

Old November 22nd 03, 11:36 PM
Michael Scarpitti

"Michael A. Covington" wrote in message ...
[...]

I compared PKR, E100s, and Velvia in 1997, on some flowers. The E-6
films cannot reproduce reds. They're magenta. The PKR was NOTICEABLY
sharper than the Velvia and E100S.
Old December 2nd 03, 07:12 AM
zhihong

Default free film

http://www.tv8848.com/index_big5.html?user=brandu

Old December 21st 03, 01:16 PM
Frank Pittel

Michael A. Covington wrote:
[...]

In the case of scarpitti it's more likely that he's suffering a case
of troll vision.

-------------------

Old December 21st 03, 08:04 PM
Michael Scarpitti

[...]

I have taken the test for color blindness several times, and always
come out normal. My father is slightly color blind.

E-6 films do not look the same to me in the reds. The reds look
magenta.
Old December 21st 03, 09:15 PM
Michael A. Covington

"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message
om...

I have taken the test for color blindness several times, and always
come out normal. My father is slightly color blind.

E-6 films do not look the same to me in the reds. The reds look
magenta.

Hmmm, for me it's the opposite! Kodachrome reds are cherry-ish and E-6 reds
are, if anything, a bit to the orange side of red.