Macro wide open - ??

Old June 4th 18, 03:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default Macro wide open - ??

On 6/3/2018 7:42 AM, Paul Carmichael wrote:
On 03/06/18 06:01, android wrote:
On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 10:01:22 +0200, Paul Carmichael
wrote in :

On 01/06/18 19:09, android wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 18:33:36 +0200, Paul Carmichael
wrote in
:

On 01/06/18 17:39, android wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jun 2018 11:30:25 -0400, nospam
wrote in
lid:

In article , android
wrote:

Why does my macro lens (Tamron SP90) open up to 2.5?

Does it ? as it seems to state f2.8 on the web.

It could be that the firmware of the camera has access to the lense
T value in its database. PC uses a fairly modern EOS 6D mark II,
IIRC. There is according to DxO Mark two different Tammies 90SP one
T/3.0 and the other, newer T/3.3. The latter would be more like 2.5
rather than 2.8 if the former is used for reference... HTH!

or it could actually be f/2.5
http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/52B.html

Sure. But that would not be reported from lense to camera.

I chipped the adaptall. So yes, it is.

Then you would need to program the chip to report that that you want it
to report...

Well obviously. And knowing that the lens is 2.5-22, that's what I
programmed it as.

You were kind enough to post a link to a picture with the full exif, and
it does not seem to be programmed at all:

I don't get your point. Do you know how these chips work? The chip tells
the camera that it's a 90mm lens. I have to tell the camera the aperture
setting. It won't let me go below 2.5 or over 22 (I "programmed" the
chip to know it's a 90mm lens with aperture between 2.5 and 22). What I
tell the camera is what's reported in the exif. Obviously the chip can't
know what I've set the aperture to. Also, the chip enables focus
confirmation. They are generally sold as "focus confirmation chips".

Exif:

Â*Max Aperture Value - 2.5

Could something similar to this be your problem
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2248343

--
PeterN
Old June 4th 18, 03:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 6/4/2018 5:35 AM, Paul Carmichael wrote:

snip

Could something similar to this be your problem
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2248343

No. I don't have a problem (well, that would interest anyone here). This
thread seems to have gone a bit wonky. I simply asked a question about
the usability of large apertures on a macro lens. No problems, no
complaints, just curiosity.

BTW, it's a manual lens.

I us MF on a lot of my macro shots. I also use high speed sync; i set
manual mode for shutter speed and exposure, to black out the background,
and make it blurry. I have to keep adjusting for lighting conditions.
Here is a test shot from yesterday. it is a RAW file so anyone who
downloads the file has a non-exclusive right to analyze it and play to
your hearts content. I must add, that use of this file is for personal
use in learning, only. I retain all right of copyright ownership. If you
want to use the image, or any derivation, for any purpose, other than
personal learning, you must ask for my permission.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k35yio67hkcd7uy/20180603_cars%20antique%20flowers_6824.NEF?dl=0

--
PeterN
Old June 4th 18, 03:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jun 4, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

I actually like what you have done with this shot with regard to the shallow
DoF and OoF background. My only beef is the bud and stem on the left seem to
be in sharper focus than the actual flower with its stamens, which is great
if that ws what you intended. If I intended to have the entire flower, stem,
and buds in focus I might have considered focus stacking/bracketing.

Savageduck

Old June 4th 18, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 6/4/2018 10:54 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jun 4, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Thanks for your comment. You have pointed out one of the issues with
hand held MF. I posted that image only for the purpose of illustrating
the use of high speed sync. Note that HSS only works with cameras that
support it, and does not work with the built in flash on my D800. If and
when I trade in my D800 for an 850, I will try focus stacking.

--
PeterN
Old June 5th 18, 12:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jun 4, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k35yio67hk...tique%20flower
s_6824.NEF?dl=0

I actually like what you have done with this shot with regard to the shallow
DoF and OoF background. My only beef is the bud and stem on the left seem to
be in sharper focus than the actual flower with its stamens, which is great
if that ws what you intended. If I intended to have the entire flower, stem,
and buds in focus I might have considered focus stacking/bracketing.

Thanks for your comment. You have pointed out one of the issues with
hand held MF. I posted that image only for the purpose of illustrating
the use of high speed sync. Note that HSS only works with cameras that
support it, and does not work with the built in flash on my D800. If and
when I trade in my D800 for an 850, I will try focus stacking.

I got focus bracketing/stacking with the latest firmware update for my X-T2,
it wasn’t included in the new FW for the X-E3. For focus stacking a tripod
is a must. I have done a few experimental 24 frame stacks processed with
Photoshop CC so that I can hone a workflow for focus stacking.

What speedlight are you using?

For my Nikon I have an SB-800 which has served me well for 15 years.

For my Fujifilm cameras I have gone for a smaller Godox TT350f, and I have
Godox X1T-F wireless trigger for off camera lighting. With that setup I can
also use the TT350f, and/or the SB-800 as off camera slaves.

http://www.godox.com/EN/Products_Mini_Camera_Flash_TT350F.html

http://www.godox.com/EN/Products_Rem..._Flash_Tr igg
er.html

Savageduck

Old June 7th 18, 05:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 6/4/2018 7:20 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jun 4, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

I have 2 SB800s. I recently bought the 2nd one used, for $200. It cost
me a little less than a Nikon commander, and serves as a flash on my
D500. The guy I bought it from took very good care of his equipment, and
did not use it a lot.

For my Nikon I have an SB-800 which has served me well for 15 years.

Mine has served me very well too, even after I dropped it, Nikon fixed
the problem for about a hundred bucks.

For my Fujifilm cameras I have gone for a smaller Godox TT350f, and I have
Godox X1T-F wireless trigger for off camera lighting. With that setup I can
also use the TT350f, and/or the SB-800 as off camera slaves.

http://www.godox.com/EN/Products_Mini_Camera_Flash_TT350F.html

http://www.godox.com/EN/Products_Rem..._Flash_Tr igg
er.html

I just picked up the LED to play with. I has a lot of potential for
backlighting and light painting small areas.

https://www.adorama.com/ltt22bubk.html

--
PeterN