Advice on Wisner vs Zone VI...

Old August 9th 04, 12:58 PM
jjs

Default Advice on Wisner vs Zone VI...

Mark, if I may diverge: do you really need such a long bellows draw? There
are some fine tele lenses for LF which use shorter bellows extension. What
lenses would you use in the field that require such long extensions?

TIA!

Old August 9th 04, 03:01 PM
CamArtsMag

Mark, if I may diverge: do you really need such a long bellows draw? There
are some fine tele lenses for LF which use shorter bellows extension. What
lenses would you use in the field that require such long
extensions?

I have long suggested that people be less concerned about brand names and more
concerned about features. Some cameras are better suited to long lenses, and
some for shorter lenses. I agree that there are several good tele lenses out
there but they can be more expensive. Thje older ones such as the Tele Rotelar
and Tele Xenar are not very good by today's standards.

steve simmons
www.viewcamera.com

Old August 9th 04, 06:02 PM
Mark Baylin

"jjs" ) writes:
Mark, if I may diverge: do you really need such a long bellows draw? There
are some fine tele lenses for LF which use shorter bellows extension. What
lenses would you use in the field that require such long extensions?

TIA!

That's a very good question!! At the moment, I will be using
135mm and 210mm lens... My work does occasionally get close
up, but nothing in the realm of even 1:2... Really, what I'm
looking for is a camera that could deal with a 300mm lens at
the most, and a 90mm at the very least... I'm even more
concerned that the camera be made well and sturdy, with
a full range of front and back swing and tilt... I do not
wish to compromise the lock down capability of the camera at
all, and that's why I'd prefer not to go to an Osaka or
Tachahasi camera (no offence to these cameras at all...)

Thanks for your help!!

Mark

PS - Of course, the rise feature on the front is very
importand as well...

Old August 9th 04, 06:17 PM
jjs

"Mark Baylin" wrote in message

"jjs" ) writes:
Mark, if I may diverge: do you really need such a long bellows draw?

There
are some fine tele lenses for LF which use shorter bellows extension.

What
lenses would you use in the field that require such long extensions?

That's a very good question!! At the moment, I will be using
135mm and 210mm lens... My work does occasionally get close
up, but nothing in the realm of even 1:2... Really, what I'm
looking for is a camera that could deal with a 300mm lens at
the most, and a 90mm at the very least...

We are each looking for long lenses for 4x5, so perhaps we should trade
notes.

I'm even more
concerned that the camera be made well and sturdy, with
a full range of front and back swing and tilt... I do not
wish to compromise the lock down capability of the camera at
all, and that's why I'd prefer not to go to an Osaka or
Tachahasi camera (no offence to these cameras at all...)

Have you considered the Linhof Technika IV or V? It is a very robust camera
with a particularly strong front standard. One would have to consider its
range of movements, of course. See this for extensible bellows as standard:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/linhof/t10.jpeg