Camera Backpack for Hiking

Old February 1st 08, 05:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
syzygy.sounds

Default Camera Backpack for Hiking

I'm an avid hiker and I'd like to find a backpack for my camera and
lenses. Typically, I carry a body together with four somewhat large
lenses (Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 50mm f/1.2 L, 16-35mm f/2.8L, 180mm
f/3.5L macro) and a tripod. Since I'll often hike 10-20 miles, I like
to have room for a camelbak bladder and some food. Are there other
hikers out there that might have a recommendation for a backpack? The
weight doesn't bother me as long as the backpack is comfortable.
Old February 1st 08, 12:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charlie Choc

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:55:30 -0800 (PST), "syzygy.sounds"
wrote:

I'm an avid hiker and I'd like to find a backpack for my camera and
lenses.

It's not a camera backpack, but I like the North Face Solaris 40
(http://tinyurl.com/28wmpz) for that sort of thing. I put my lenses in neoprene
bags and have a neoprene 'square' to wrap the camera boy in, and use the ice axe
loop and side strap for my tripod. The pack is very comfortable.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com
Old February 1st 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
syzygy.sounds

On Feb 1, 4:41 am, Charlie Choc
wrote:

It's not a camera backpack, but I like the North Face Solaris 40
(http://tinyurl.com/28wmpz) for that sort of thing. I put my lenses in neoprene
bags and have a neoprene 'square' to wrap the camera boy in, and use the ice axe
loop and side strap for my tripod. The pack is very comfortable.

Where do you find an assortment of neoprene bags to suit your needs?
Do you find them in camera shops, outdoor shops, or stores that sell
computer equipment? It seems like you've got to purchase those items
in person to make sure they fit your lenses and other gear.
Old February 1st 08, 04:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charlie Choc

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 07:16:17 -0800 (PST), "syzygy.sounds"
wrote:

Where do you find an assortment of neoprene bags to suit your needs?

I use Snoot Boots in various sizes, and mostly get them mail order from B&H
(http://tinyurl.com/yowgao), although camera shops carry them too.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com
Old February 5th 08, 12:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Shawn Hirn

In article
,
"syzygy.sounds" wrote:

On Feb 1, 4:41 am, Charlie Choc
wrote:

It's not a camera backpack, but I like the North Face Solaris 40
(http://tinyurl.com/28wmpz) for that sort of thing. I put my lenses in
neoprene
bags and have a neoprene 'square' to wrap the camera boy in, and use the
ice axe
loop and side strap for my tripod. The pack is very comfortable.

Where do you find an assortment of neoprene bags to suit your needs?
Do you find them in camera shops, outdoor shops, or stores that sell
computer equipment? It seems like you've got to purchase those items
in person to make sure they fit your lenses and other gear.

Where you you live? I am fortunate enough to live within a reasonable
driving distance of B&H Camera and Video in NYC, so when I was shopping
for a backpack style camera bag, that's where I went. I have a Lowepro
bag that serves me well. I have worn it all day walking around NYC and
not had any problems. Selecting a camera bag is a personal decision
though, especially one that you wear so google for camera stores in your
area and see what you can find there.
Old February 7th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
syzygy.sounds

On Feb 5, 4:40 am, Shawn Hirn wrote:
Where you you live? I am fortunate enough to live within a reasonable
driving distance of B&H Camera and Video in NYC, so when I was shopping
for abackpackstyle camera bag, that's where I went. I have a Lowepro
bag that serves me well. I have worn it all day walking around NYC and
not had any problems. Selecting a camera bag is a personal decision
though, especially one that you wear so google for camera stores in your
area and see what you can find there.

You're right about it being a particularly personal decision. I live
in Los Angeles, which has a number of good camera shops with large
selections (most notably, Samy's). I've ordered most of my equipment
through B&H, though I probably need to "try out" any bag or backpack
that I plan to carry for 10 hours at a time. Do you find that your
can access lenses out of your Lowepro fairly quickly?
Old February 7th 08, 12:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charlie Choc

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 18:26:31 -0800 (PST), "syzygy.sounds"
wrote:

Do you find that your
can access lenses out of your Lowepro fairly quickly?

FWIW, I have a couple of LowePro bags (Rover AW II, and Photo Trekker AW II),
and they are OK as packs and OK as camera bags, but not great at either. That's
why I opted for the North Face for long hikes since it is much more comfortable
to carry. Pretty much any bag large enough for day hiking will need to be taken
off to access camera and lenses, anyway. LowePro has quite a line of bags,
though, so you may be able to find one that is comfortable enough.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com
Old February 7th 08, 03:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
syzygy.sounds

On Feb 7, 4:37 am, Charlie Choc
wrote:

FWIW, I have a couple of LowePro bags (Rover AW II, and Photo Trekker AW II),
and they are OK as packs and OK as camera bags, but not great at either. That's
why I opted for the North Face for long hikes since it is much more comfortable
to carry. Pretty much any bag large enough for day hiking will need to be taken
off to access camera and lenses, anyway. LowePro has quite a line of bags,
though, so you may be able to find one that is comfortable enough.

Maybe it's hard to describe, but why do you find the Solaris 40 more
comfortable? (If it's just an answer of the sort "it's just feels
better on my back," then fair enough.) One of my concerns is that
I'll see some wildlife and want to switch to a telephoto lense.
Currently, my lenses are in a pile (protected with cases) in my
backpack and it takes a bit of time scrambling through them. On the
surface, the compartments/partitions I see in some the LowePro bags
looks appealing from that standpoint. However, if it doesn't feel
right, then it's probably not a great idea for a series of 20 mile
hikes.
Old February 7th 08, 03:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charlie Choc

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 07:10:05 -0800 (PST), "syzygy.sounds"
wrote:

Maybe it's hard to describe, but why do you find the Solaris 40 more
comfortable?

Better padding on the shoulder straps, better hip support, the "Verti-Cool" back
on the North Face makes it more comfortable in hot weather...

One of my concerns is that
I'll see some wildlife and want to switch to a telephoto lense.
Currently, my lenses are in a pile (protected with cases) in my
backpack and it takes a bit of time scrambling through them. On the
surface, the compartments/partitions I see in some the LowePro bags
looks appealing from that standpoint. However, if it doesn't feel
right, then it's probably not a great idea for a series of 20 mile
hikes.

If I'm in an area where I expect wildlife I usually keep my telephoto lens on
the camera when I'm walking and switch to/from my landscape lenses as needed
when I stop. I also have LowePro Topload Zoom AW (http://tinyurl.com/224ljr)
that I use sometimes with the chest harness so my camera is always handy. The
only downside of this is that it blocks the view of your feet, so if you are on
a trail with a lot of vertical exposure you have to be extra careful.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com