Playing .MOV files on iPad

Old September 17th 11, 06:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.ipad
George Kerby

Default Playing .MOV files on iPad

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but does anyone have a
recommendation for playing .MOV video files (with audio included) on a first
generation iPad? They import OK into the photo folder but I cannot figure
how to make them play. Thanks in advance for all constructive advice!

Old September 17th 11, 07:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.ipad
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-09-17 10:43:34 -0700, George Kerby said:

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but does anyone have a
recommendation for playing .MOV video files (with audio included) on a first
generation iPad? They import OK into the photo folder but I cannot figure
how to make them play. Thanks in advance for all constructive advice!

From what I understand the iPad does not support .MOV files, so you
need to convert to H.264, mpeg-4, or M-jpeg.

You might try Handbrake, it has always worked for making appropriate
conversions for me. (though I have yet to get an iPad)
http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php
https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/BuiltInPresets

Savageduck

Old September 17th 11, 09:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.ipad
George Kerby

On 9/17/11 1:51 PM, in article
2011091711513925228-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"

On 2011-09-17 10:43:34 -0700, George Kerby said:

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but does anyone have a
recommendation for playing .MOV video files (with audio included) on a first
generation iPad? They import OK into the photo folder but I cannot figure
how to make them play. Thanks in advance for all constructive advice!

From what I understand the iPad does not support .MOV files, so you
need to convert to H.264, mpeg-4, or M-jpeg.

You might try Handbrake, it has always worked for making appropriate
conversions for me. (though I have yet to get an iPad)
http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php
https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/BuiltInPresets

I guess what I need is something like QuickTime in IOS format, Duck.

I'm trying to avoid hauling a Laptop to a shoot that will pretty much 'Run
'n Gun' and trying to keep from hauling too much extra stuff around, what
with camera, tripod, mikes, mixers, fishpoles, etc.

The playback audio on the EOS7 speaker is just awful, so conversion is not
really an option for checking as we go. This is a test to see if video shot
with a DSLR could really be a low budget alternative to a pro video camera.

Thanks for the info, BTW!

Old September 17th 11, 10:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.ipad
nospam

In article , George Kerby
wrote:

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but does anyone have a
recommendation for playing .MOV video files (with audio included) on a first
generation iPad? They import OK into the photo folder but I cannot figure
how to make them play. Thanks in advance for all constructive advice!

..mov is just a container, which could be anything. the ipad only plays
h.264 and mpeg, so unless the .mov file uses either of those (which it
does not appear to), you will have to convert it.

the easiest way to do that is with handbrake. pick the apple universal
profile.
Old September 17th 11, 11:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.ipad
George Kerby

On 9/17/11 4:20 PM, in article ,
"nospam" wrote:

In article , George Kerby
wrote:

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but does anyone have a
recommendation for playing .MOV video files (with audio included) on a first
generation iPad? They import OK into the photo folder but I cannot figure
how to make them play. Thanks in advance for all constructive advice!

.mov is just a container, which could be anything. the ipad only plays

h.264 and mpeg, so unless the .mov file uses either of those (which it
does not appear to), you will have to convert it.

the easiest way to do that is with handbrake. pick the apple universal
profile.

If I have to convert it, then I have to take along a MacBook Pro to run the
handbrake software anyway, since I haven't found any converter for the iPad
OS. So it's a moot point since I'm trying to reduce bulk. But thanks for the
information anyway!

Old September 18th 11, 03:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.ipad
Lu Powell

"George Kerby" wrote in message

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but does anyone have a
recommendation for playing .MOV video files (with audio included) on a
first
generation iPad? They import OK into the photo folder but I cannot figure
how to make them play. Thanks in advance for all constructive advice!

Here's a link to a convertor:
http://www.snowfoxsoft.com/tutorial/...v-on-ipad.html

I have not used it, and have no recommendation.

Old September 18th 11, 05:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Michael[_6_]

On 2011-09-17 13:43:34 -0400, George Kerby said:

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but does anyone have a
recommendation for playing .MOV video files (with audio included) on a first
generation iPad? They import OK into the photo folder but I cannot figure
how to make them play. Thanks in advance for all constructive advice!

I think, but am not sure, that iTunes will import .MOV files and
convert them to video that then syncs with the iPad. If it does not,
QuickTime should do that conversion for you. I have to admit that like
many Mac users, I don't pay attention to which of the built in programs
is doing what at any particular moment.
--
Michael

Old September 18th 11, 07:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

"George Kerby" wrote in message
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but does anyone have a
recommendation for playing .MOV video files (with audio included) on a
first
generation iPad? They import OK into the photo folder but I cannot
figure
how to make them play. Thanks in advance for all constructive advice!

You could try the VLC Media Player:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ios.html

although it seems to have been withdrawn from the App Store.

David

Old September 18th 11, 08:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-09-17 23:48:24 -0700, "David J Taylor"
said:

"George Kerby" wrote in message
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but does anyone have a
recommendation for playing .MOV video files (with audio included) on a first
generation iPad? They import OK into the photo folder but I cannot figure
how to make them play. Thanks in advance for all constructive advice!

You could try the VLC Media Player:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ios.html

although it seems to have been withdrawn from the App Store.

David

Yup!
That should work for George.

Savageduck