[SI] New Mandate: B&W

Old December 3rd 08, 01:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bõwser

Default [SI] New Mandate: B&W

By popular demand, the new mandate is B&W. While I'm sure that the posters
meant Black and White, I see no reason to restrict it to only black and
white photos. If you can come up with another interpretation of "B&W,"
please feel free to do so. Of course, if you want to submit three photos
that showcase what truly constitutes a successful black and white photo,
like composition, texture, and lighting, that's OK too. The shoot-in is
he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin

I'll update the Rulz pages sometime today or tomorrow, so be patient.
Lastly, the deadline for this mandate is January 4th, 2009. I went an extra
week to allow people to recover from New Year's Eve. Please try to submit
your photos by 6PM Eastern Time (USA).

Please limit your submissions to 300K each, three submissions per person.

Fire at will!

Old December 3rd 08, 02:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
TylerRights

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 07:28:41 -0500, BÔwser wrote:

[...]

Just out of curiosity, what about duo-tones and other 2-color effects that came
from historical B&W processing? Such as sepias, gold tone (chrysotype),
cyanotype, polysulfides, kallitype, tetenal copper processing, etc. These were,
after all, standard B&W methods.

Old December 3rd 08, 10:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 07:28:41 -0500, BÔwser wrote:

By popular demand, the new mandate is B&W. While I'm sure that the posters
meant Black and White, I see no reason to restrict it to only black and
white photos.

Here is a B&W photograph of a B&W engine on test. It seems to qualify
on two counts.

I'm not going to enter it as it's not my photograph.

Old December 3rd 08, 11:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

BÔwser wrote:
By popular demand, the new mandate is B&W. While I'm sure that the
posters meant Black and White, I see no reason to restrict it to only
black and white photos. If you can come up with another interpretation
of "B&W," please feel free to do so.

Given many of the characters around here,

the B&W mandate could be "B!tching & Whining."

Perhaps we could interpret "Beatings & Whippings"?

Or "Beaches & Wenches" ?

"Bratz & Whores"

"Booze & Wine"

"Bikes & Wheels"

"Boron & Tungsten"

"Bimbos & Wackos"

"Brickbats and Wombats"

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

Old December 4th 08, 01:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bõwser

"Eric Stevens" wrote in message
On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 07:28:41 -0500, BÔwser wrote:

By popular demand, the new mandate is B&W. While I'm sure that the posters
meant Black and White, I see no reason to restrict it to only black and
white photos.

Here is a B&W photograph of a B&W engine on test. It seems to qualify
on two counts.

I'm not going to enter it as it's not my photograph.

Sounds nice. Where is it?

Old December 4th 08, 01:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bõwser

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
BÔwser wrote:
By popular demand, the new mandate is B&W. While I'm sure that the posters
meant Black and White, I see no reason to restrict it to only black and
white photos. If you can come up with another interpretation of "B&W,"
please feel free to do so.

Given many of the characters around here,

the B&W mandate could be "B!tching & Whining."

Perhaps we could interpret "Beatings & Whippings"?

Or "Beaches & Wenches" ?

"Bratz & Whores"

"Booze & Wine"

"Bikes & Wheels"

"Boron & Tungsten"

"Bimbos & Wackos"

"Brickbats and Wombats"

Beaches and Wenches! Yes! Does Brett live near a beach? I do , but they're
kinda cold right now.

All these sub-themes are fully acceptable. Even some brand names, like
Bowers & Wilkens or Babcock & Wilcox qualify.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

Old December 4th 08, 11:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 19:01:25 -0500, BÔwser wrote:

"Eric Stevens" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 07:28:41 -0500, BÔwser wrote:

By popular demand, the new mandate is B&W. While I'm sure that the posters
meant Black and White, I see no reason to restrict it to only black and
white photos.

Here is a B&W photograph of a B&W engine on test. It seems to qualify
on two counts.

I'm not going to enter it as it's not my photograph.

Sounds nice. Where is it?

Damn!

Perhaps I was trying to keep it secret. :-)

Here it is
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2128/...ae71f4.jpg?v=0

Old December 4th 08, 11:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
PaytonT

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 23:05:55 +1300, Eric Stevens wrote:

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 19:01:25 -0500, BÔwser wrote:

"Eric Stevens" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 07:28:41 -0500, BÔwser wrote:

By popular demand, the new mandate is B&W. While I'm sure that the posters
meant Black and White, I see no reason to restrict it to only black and
white photos.

Here is a B&W photograph of a B&W engine on test. It seems to qualify
on two counts.

I'm not going to enter it as it's not my photograph.

Sounds nice. Where is it?

Damn!

Perhaps I was trying to keep it secret. :-)

Here it is
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2128/...ae71f4.jpg?v=0

Methinks you should have kept it a "secret". No POI, ergo no interesting
composition.

If I was that company I'd even have a difficult time selecting that for a
monthly flier. It says nothing, conveys nothing, is nothing.

I don't think I've seen a more boring photo.

Sorry, dem's da fac's.

Oh wait, I take that back. On an outing to Yerkes Observatory (the largest
refracting telescope in the world, even today) when I was 7 years old and had my
Brownie Box Camera, I took a photo similar to yours. (true) I still have a print
from that photo to remind myself of what to never do again.

Old December 4th 08, 03:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
George Kerby

wrote:

[...]

You should have kept that camera. I don't think too many Brownies had view
camera rising standards like the one that made this image. Probably be a
collector's item today. Too bad you were too dumb to let it go.

Just the facts, Jack...