[SI] Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!

Old September 15th 11, 01:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

Default [SI] Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 13:17:18 -0700 (PDT), DanP wrote:
: Bowser
: 1 Looks a bit overexposed but I am saying it is something bad. Great wide shot, cannot see any distortion at 11mm full frame.
: 2 Not bad, I would crop and loose 20% on the left side and top.
: 3 The clouds, bridge and boats somehow work together.
:
: Irwell
: 1 Nice colours, not sure about framing.
: 2 I like the shot, subject and background belong together.
: 3 Good attempt, maybe lose the leaves.
:
: Eric S
: 1 Nope. Shot in 2004?
:
: Peter A
: 1 Post processing not overdone, I like it.
: 2 Has a good structure, wish it did not have the big ship crane.
: 3 That's it, ditch number 2.
:
: Bob Coe
: 1 Too much asphalt for me.
: 2 Boost the red and I will say I like it.
: 3 Hard to find a subject, nothing close or not wide enough.
:
: Martha Coe
: 1 Overexposed, try editing the curves.
: 2 Why have noisy ISO 1600 when exposure time is 1/800s? The subject is too small, lose the bottom and a bit of top and switch to landscape.
: 3 OKish
:
: Eric S
: 2 Crop the shadows, pure black
: 3 I think if you took more shots during the sunrise you would have had a better one. This one is too plain, sea takes too much space and is tilted a bit.
:
: Tim Conway
: 1 Yes
:
: Paul Furman
: 1 B/W, good choice
:
: Otter
: 1 Sky, land, water, all about the same size. Nice tint too.
:
: Savageduck
: 1 Nice. Is it HDR?
: 2 Too much fog and subject too far away.
: 3 Love it.
:
: Alan B
: 1 I like the ground covering the frame. Shame about the barbed wire.
: 2 So hard to stay away from these sunsets. I went for one too, played safe.
:
: Peter Chant
: 1 Crop the bottom only.
: 2 Good one.
:
: Peter Newman
: 1 Smart one, Sun hidden a bit, great exposure.
: 2 I believe you.
: 3 I like it.
:
: A lot of
:
: DanP

I don't agree with you on everything, but I like your terse comments. Some of
us, including me, tend to be a bit verbose.

Bob
Old September 15th 11, 02:40 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Cooper

On 14 Sep 2011 20:03:58 GMT, Stuffed Crust
wrote:

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm Bowser wrote:
The Dusk or Dawn gallery is posted, and it's a very healthy gallery,
too. Some nice shots in there. Take a look, and offer a friendly
critique, if you dare.

/delurk

I have a thing for dawn/dusk shots, but during this mandate I didn't
take anything new that I cared to submit. But I have a huge pile of
suitable archived shots to draw upon.

Ugh, need to participate more..

First one I've missed in a long time, but my one sunset shot would
have been far out-classed in this group. I don't do sunrise.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 15th 11, 02:50 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Pete A

On 2011-09-14 18:36:29 +0100, Savageduck said:

[...]
PeterA:
Alpha; I know it was dawn, but this one doesn't really do it. There is
something about the color, contrast, and exposure which doesn't seem
right.

Well, it is my abstract of early Mars when the planet had water, so it
isn't *supposed* to seem quite right

Industry; This is the type of shot you have perfected. In this case
you have everything right the sense of time and fitting your theme just
works.
Omega; Three lightships in a row. I like it, and like "Industry" you
have everything right. BTW, how common is the use of lightships today?

Thanks for that.

For some reason, lightships are now called "ligtvessels" or "light
vessels" (UK term), which are confusing beasts because their name
signifies a location; there can be two or more vessels sharing the same
name; and not all of them have a light.

Some of the vessels only gather meteorological data for both shipping
and domestic weather forecasting.

I'm not sure why there have been 2 or 3 laying dormant in my neck of
the woods for many years. I think one of them has been converted from
diesel to solar power enabled by the installation of LED lighting. It
seems to have gone missing recently. I'm sure nobody nicked it so it's
either in the shipyard or has been put into service.

Old September 15th 11, 11:20 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

On 9/14/2011 7:11 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 17:39:49 -0400, wrote:
:
: Pretty funny, nobody seems to like the "bridge" shot. Oh, well. And
: the bokeh on the mushroom shot is, well, the product of a zoom. But I
: liked the color of the mushrooms. This one makes really nice wallpaper.
: Luckily I got this shot before my dog ate them.

Can a dog eat a white amanita and live to bark about it? IIRC, a human's
tolerance for same is usually less than one bite.

Bob

I guess. He's outside barking now. Besides, he didn't eat the whole thing.
Old September 15th 11, 01:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Stuffed Crust[_2_]

In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Bowser wrote:
And I need to get down to Charlie and Jakes more often.

I haven't been in a long time. Is it still there?

It was the last time I drove up to Viera, but that was months ago.

- Solomon [Never actually been there though]
--
Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet dot org
Melbourne, FL ^^ (mail/jabber/gtalk) ^^
Old September 15th 11, 01:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Stuffed Crust[_2_]

In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Robert Coe wrote:
Yeah, where the hell you been? You've submitted some really good stuff over
the years.

It's been a dry spell for me, unfortunately. I'm working on changing
that, but the project pipeline needs to drain a bit more so I have the
energy to play and/or be sociable.

This time around, I only had a couple of shots suitable for the mandate,
but I didn't think there was anything special about them -- and my
favorite was technically awful.

It just didn't seem right to submit a pile of archive shots this time.

- Solomon
Old September 15th 11, 08:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Elliott Roper

Default Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!

In article
,
otter wrote:

On Sep 14, 4:39*pm, Bowser wrote:
On 9/14/2011 2:01 PM, Pete A wrote:

snip
Pretty funny, nobody seems to like the "bridge" shot. Oh, well. And the
bokeh on the mushroom shot is, well, the product of a zoom. But I liked
the color of the mushrooms. This one makes really nice wallpaper.
Luckily I got this shot before my dog ate them.

I liked the Bridge shot, but just not one of my favorites of this
collection. I liked the colors, but it was a little busy.

The bridge shot was my favourite! So French Impressionist!
Savageduck's "San Simeon State Beach at dusk/Sunset, through the marine
layer fog" had the same lovely mood.

What is it with water and sunset/rise? No-fail subject or what?

Which brings me to your "SI_dusk_Otter_eye_in_sky.jpg". I loved the way
the boat's bow wave connected the flat distant stuff with the warm
light coming from the houses on the bottom right. The illusion of depth
in that area was so different from the rest of the picture that it kept
drawing my eyes back for another peep. I didn't like the purple sky
much, it turned it into a theatre set backdrop. I tried brushing a heap
of desaturation into the sky area. It certainly hurt less, but the
picture looked a lot less magical.
Mine was going to be this old one:-
http://gallery.me.com/elliott_roper#100080/_MG_8298_2&bgcolor=black
but when I went to Google to remind myself how to spell "Merzouga"
there were about 1000 almost identical pictures and I chickened out of
offering the SI the ultimate tourist camel cliché.

--
To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248
Old September 15th 11, 10:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter Chant[_5_]

tony cooper wrote:
First one I've missed in a long time, but my one sunset shot would
have been far out-classed in this group. I don't do sunrise.

Try not going to bed...

:-)

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old September 16th 11, 04:34 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

wrote:

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm wrote:
The Dusk or Dawn gallery is posted, and it's a very healthy gallery,
too. Some nice shots in there. Take a look, and offer a friendly
critique, if you dare.

/delurk

I have a thing for dawn/dusk shots, but during this mandate I didn't
take anything new that I cared to submit. But I have a huge pile of
suitable archived shots to draw upon.

Ugh, need to participate more..

First one I've missed in a long time, but my one sunset shot would
have been far out-classed in this group. I don't do sunrise.

We'll still welcome your pithy comments.

--
Peter
Old September 16th 11, 04:38 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On 9/14/2011 11:10 PM, otter wrote:
On Sep 14, 2:31 pm, wrote:

Otter:
Eye in Sky; Nice. The evening light is just right to demonstrate the
time and yet have the foreground structures identifiable, without having
the stereotypical "golden" or "red" sunset.

I like the overall composition. Just to pic a nit, the boat light in the
river is a mild distraction. I would have toned it down a smidge.

The light on the boat, and the light on the horizon "the eye in the
sky" are the whole point of the picture, at least in my mind. I was
going for some kind of metaphysical statement. But I can see how you
might think they are just a boat and a football field.

They certainly contribute a lot to your composition. For my taste the
river light is just too bright. However, if you as the maker feel
otherwise, that is the ultimate decision.

--
Peter