Do you ever share/upload raw shots?

Old June 5th 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sachin Garg[_2_]

Default Do you ever share/upload raw shots?

Do you ever need to (or want to) share or upload raw shots?

My understanding of how raw is used is that it is best suited for
post-processing to create a jpeg/tiff/png which looks like what the
photographer wants and then that is what we share with friends and upload to
albums. The raw files end up being in the local storage, or in the online
backups.

I was exploring sharing/album websites and noticed a few which allow
uploading of raw shots and it got me wondering why would someone want to do
that.

Sachin Garg [India]
www.sachingarg.com | www.imagecompression.info

Old June 5th 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
just bob[_2_]

Very rarely do I give others my raw file. I mean I would rather people do
not see how poorly I expose. :-)

But upon request I will give to corporate customers because I trust them to
use it within the license agreement.

Old June 6th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sachin Garg[_2_]

Ah yes, I can see an occasional need to share raw with others, like asking
for help with edits, or as you said, when they want to edit it the way they
want.

Old June 6th 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sachin Garg[_2_]

"bucky3" wrote in message
On Jun 5, 1:12 pm, "Sachin Garg" wrote:
I was exploring sharing/album websites and noticed a few which allow
uploading of raw shots and it got me wondering why would someone want to
do
that.

I haven't them yet, but I heard about those sites. What kind of
functionality does the sharing site have?

I haven't explored them much, but basically uploading/downloading raw files,
just like one would do with jpeg files. In browser they show an auto
generated jpeg version of it.

Assuming that the users can view the image online (without downloading
RAW files), and that they can export JPEG to download, I think that
would be pretty powerful. Because the novice users can view the images
and don't care. But then expert users can tweak to their liking.

Many photographers don't have the time to do post-processing, but if
you share RAW files, then if your friend wants to do it themselves for
1 or 2 images, then they have the option. I have a friend who has an
SLR but doesn't really know how to use it. The white balance was way
off. I couldn't correct the JPEG satisfactorily. I wish he had posted
RAW so I could fix it for myself.

Well, this does makes sense, but is it something actually used by people? Do
any of the major sharing sites allow raw uploading, the ones I checked
didn't.

I also noticed a nikon press release from April 2008 where they just added
raw uploading feature to their My Picturetown, so maybe this whole raw
uploading is a new concept altogether, or just that I was sleeping under a
rock :-)

Old June 7th 08, 08:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sachin Garg[_2_]

"bucky3" wrote in message
On Jun 6, 1:45 pm, "Sachin Garg" wrote:
I haven't explored them much, but basically uploading/downloading raw
files,
just like one would do with jpeg files. In browser they show an auto
generated jpeg version of it.

Cool. I would love something like that. View a JPEG online, but be
able to download RAW format if I wanted to tweak something to my
liking. What are some sites that have this?

The first one I noticed was oosah but their faq says that while they allow
uploading raw, they store only the jpeg version after conversion :-(
http://www.oosah.com/oosah_faq.php

Other one is the Nikon's My Picturetown, which ofcourse allows only NEFs.

Old June 7th 08, 01:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
"Sachin Garg" wrote:

Do you ever need to (or want to) share or upload raw shots?

My understanding of how raw is used is that it is best suited for
post-processing to create a jpeg/tiff/png which looks like what the
photographer wants and then that is what we share with friends and upload to
albums. The raw files end up being in the local storage, or in the online
backups.

I was exploring sharing/album websites and noticed a few which allow
uploading of raw shots and it got me wondering why would someone want to do
that.

That's a good question. Perhaps to demonstrate the capabilities of a
specific camera or in situations where different photographers need
access to the raw images for their own post-processing.

For most people, shooting in raw is vast overkill and certainly sharing
raw images on a web site is not something the average amateur
photographer (of which most of us are) would need to do.
Old June 7th 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sachin Garg[_2_]

"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message
"Sachin Garg" wrote:

[...]

Yeah, raw itself is something relatively few people use, and even them not
always. This seems like it would appeal to only a subset of them.