What white balance method do you use?

Old January 18th 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ray Paseur[_3_]

Default Shooting Tethered, was: What white balance method do you use?

snip
I don't trust a light meter. I check my picks and check my exposures so I
know what I'm getting.
/snip

Pat: Maybe the group can suggest some solutions that would improve my
workflow in this area; I've never found quite the magic.

I would like to connect my Canon 5D to my Macbook so I can see the image on
the Macbook right after I fire the shutter release. If I could also see
the histograms, that would be great. And even better if I could select
part of the image and see the histograms for the selection.

Does anybody have a successful experience doing this?

Thanks, ~Ray
Old January 18th 08, 03:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Ray Paseur wrote:
Pat wrote:
I don't trust a light meter. I check my picks and check my exposures so I
know what I'm getting.

Pat: Maybe the group can suggest some solutions that would improve my
workflow in this area; I've never found quite the magic.

I would like to connect my Canon 5D to my Macbook so I can see the image on
the Macbook right after I fire the shutter release. If I could also see
the histograms, that would be great. And even better if I could select
part of the image and see the histograms for the selection.

Does anybody have a successful experience doing this?

Yes, that's called tethered shooting and does provide the benefits you
mention. Just open photoshop (bridge I guess now) in the landing folder
and it should update as new shots come in so you can make selections &
get local histograms. I'm not sure which software for Canon but I've
used this on a Nikon and it opened in the remote control program for
basic review although I preferred to use irfanview or PS for better
control. There are 3rd party solutions too but the camera manufacturer's
software should let you control all functions & settings of the camera
from the laptop which is more convenient: testing DOF with the aperture,
white balance, etc.
Old January 18th 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mr. Strat

Default What white balance method do you use?

In article , podger
wrote:

Really? I have 4-5 contacts/friends, ranging from Copenhagan to Barcelona
and Thesaloniki. They have all had photo sudios for the best part of 20
years, they shoot wedding shots, shots for tourist offices, newspapres and
occasional exhibitions. They make 100% of their living out of their
photography. None of them have the TIME to fart around with raw.

Then they're not delivering the best quality images to their clients.
Old January 18th 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_4_]

Mr. Strat wrote:
In article , podger
wrote:

Really? I have 4-5 contacts/friends, ranging from Copenhagan to
Barcelona and Thesaloniki. They have all had photo sudios for the
best part of 20 years, they shoot wedding shots, shots for tourist
offices, newspapres and occasional exhibitions. They make 100% of
their living out of their photography. None of them have the TIME
to fart around with raw.

Then they're not delivering the best quality images to their clients.

Maybe the clients didn't /pay/ for the best quality images, just an
acceptable image at an acceptable price?

David

Old January 18th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
podger

"Mr. Strat" wrote

Really? I have 4-5 contacts/friends, ranging from Copenhagan to
Barcelona
and Thesaloniki. They have all had photo sudios for the best part of 20
years, they shoot wedding shots, shots for tourist offices, newspapres
and
occasional exhibitions. They make 100% of their living out of their
photography. None of them have the TIME to fart around with raw.

Then they're not delivering the best quality images to their clients.

So you say, however, varous quality magazines and a few serious Sunday
papers use their photos, this after having had a choice of agencies from
which to acquire images from. Just where are these raw derived images which
are supposed to be consistently better than jpeg, to be found? The
photographers I know will shoot a number of photos at a number of settings,
in these circumstances there will always be an image that will be
acceptable, and if there is not then a few moments spent with a photo
editor will get the best result. After 20 years of practise these people
know how to get the besty out of their camera and they also are very good at
efficient use of their time.

Old January 18th 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mr. Strat

In article , David J
Taylor wrote:

Maybe the clients didn't /pay/ for the best quality images, just an
acceptable image at an acceptable price?

That's a pretty crappy way to do business.
Old January 18th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_4_]

Mr. Strat wrote:
In article , David J
Taylor
wrote:

Maybe the clients didn't /pay/ for the best quality images, just an
acceptable image at an acceptable price?

That's a pretty crappy way to do business.

With respect, I would have thought that it was the /only/ sensible way to
do business! Otherwise wouldn't we all get our portraits painted by
someone famous?

David

Old January 18th 08, 07:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mr. Strat

In article , David J
Taylor wrote:

Maybe the clients didn't /pay/ for the best quality images, just an
acceptable image at an acceptable price?

That's a pretty crappy way to do business.

With respect, I would have thought that it was the /only/ sensible way to
do business! Otherwise wouldn't we all get our portraits painted by
someone famous?

When I was in business, "good enough" was not in my lexicon.
Old January 18th 08, 08:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
podger

"David J Taylor"
wrote

Then they're not delivering the best quality images to their clients.

Maybe the clients didn't /pay/ for the best quality images, just an
acceptable image at an acceptable price?

Well yes, they make their living out of photography. What else are they
supposed to do? They are'nt 20 year all old skint students or college
drop outs trying to create art.

Old January 19th 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Paul Furman wrote:
Ray Paseur wrote:
Pat wrote:
[...]

DPP, Digital Photo Pro, which came with your 5D is what you'd want to
try first.

At MacWorld yesterday I saw and used a 2 Gig card that's a tad unusual
in that it will, over Wi-Fi, send your images to your 'puter.

--
john mcwilliams