Nikon is backwards

Old January 31st 19, 01:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

Default Nikon is backwards

On 1/30/2019 7:30 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 07:08:27 -0600, Savageduck
wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 17:51:51 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Or on a drill.

most drills have a reversing switch.

Try to drill in reverse.

a drill does more than just drilling. for example, tightening or
loosening a nut or driving or removing a screw.

it's quite common for a power drill to have a reversing switch.

It didn't use to be. And even when they did they wouldn't run
backwards as well as they ran forwards.

drills didn't use to have a motor.

This started with lawnmowers.

Actually this all started with Nikon lens mounts.

This is a healthy (?) shoot of the original vine.

what matters is what's available *now*.

I'm interpreting the original vine as more of a question of
traditional vs conventional vs standard vs de facto standard vs (...),
mostly avoiding engineering rationale. [YMMV]
~~
[IMHO] a troll rabbit hole.
(again [YMMV] )
--
==
Later...
Old January 31st 19, 01:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 1/30/2019 6:09 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Commander Kinsey
wrote:

Etc. Not expensive to maintain compared to my friends cars (BMW's,
Range Rover, M-Benz, Volvo, etc.).

Yeah I agree on the BMW. Expensive parts, and they haven't invented front
wheel drive yet. Tailhappy useless dangerous cars.

only if you don't know how to drive, which is clearly the case.

performance vehicles are almost always rwd, for very good reasons. fwd
benefits the car maker, not the driver.

I agree. In support of that I'd conjecture if FWD were better
race cars would have transitioned to that configuration long ago.
--
==
Later...

Old January 31st 19, 02:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 31/01/2019 01.49, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 22:39:50 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 22:47:29 -0000, Eric Stevens wrote:

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 21:13:33 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 04:21:01 -0000, Eric Stevens wrote:

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 00:01:59 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"

This thread has drifted quite far afield.

We're still talking about thread directions.

Anyway:

A CGA fitting is the standardized system for the attachment of a
compressed gas
cylinder to the required regulator or transfer line. Examples of CGA
fittings would
be CGA-580 for Non-flamable, Non-oxidizing gasses such as Nitrogen, Argon,
or Helium. CGA-590 is used for compressed air and CGA-326 is used for
Nitrous Oxide. There are approximately a dozen commonly used CGA-fittings,
with others used for special purposes.

For more on this see:
https://www.concoa.com/cgachart.html

Without wanting to digest the whole article, how do reverse threads fit into this?

That's the point. They don't if you try to match them up with an
otherwise similar thread of the opposite rotation.

So they have forward and reverse threads for different gases?

Yes. And different diameters. And different details of fittings. The
idea is to make it impossible to connect gas bottles to the wrong gas
systems.

How stupid do you have to be to feed oxygen into your caravan's cooker inlet?

How about mixing up cylinders in an oxy-acetylene set? Or in a
hospital service bay mixing up cylinders and connecting nitrous oxide
to an oxygen line? How about filling an LPG cylinder with a relief
valve set at 375psi using liquid CO2 which will settle down to 750 psi
on a hot day?

Makes a lot of sense.

Reminds me of a movie the other day (The Transporter: Refueled). At a
discotheque the "bad guys" change a cylinder of something that creates a
fog with another cylinder stolen from a hospital with some anaesthetic
gas. So easy. So from what you say, it should not be possible to do,
they would need some home made adapter.

Good to know! :-)

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old January 31st 19, 02:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 31/01/2019 01.25, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 17:21:24 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Commander Kinsey
wrote:

So have Fuji started making better cameras?

Yes!

Or is it just their compact ones that are rubbish?

I wouldnĀ¹t know one way or another. I have never owned, or used a Fujifilm
compact of past, or current production.

I started my move from a Nikon DSLR system to Fujifilm mirrorless some 3+
years ago, and I am quite happy with the move.

I guess nobody can get away with selling **** DSLRs.

some do. not all slrs are good. some are flat out garbage. like
everything, there's a range of features and quality.

Those users know what
they're talking about.

not all of them. some people buy an slr because they think they'll take
better photos with one.

Most compact cameras are sold to people who don't know
anything about photography. I have a friend who is convinced her iPhone
can take better photos than most cameras.

it can.

When I pointed out that digital zoom
was a lie, she didn't understand.

nor do you. recent iphones have optical zoom and the type of zoom is
unrelated to image quality.

Here is another dodgy statement which only works if your comments are
highly qualified. I was going to ask you if you were trying to set up
another fight but, I decided not to. Of course you are.

LOL! Of course.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old January 31st 19, 03:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 11:01:39 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Or on a drill.

most drills have a reversing switch.

Try to drill in reverse.

a drill does more than just drilling. for example, tightening or
loosening a nut or driving or removing a screw.

it's quite common for a power drill to have a reversing switch.

It didn't use to be. And even when they did they wouldn't run
backwards as well as they ran forwards.

drills didn't use to have a motor.

This started with lawnmowers.

in other words, you admit you're not sticking to the topic

I will if you admit you have stopped beating your wife.

That starts with the assumption that he has a wife.

Savageduck
Old January 31st 19, 03:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 17:51:51 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

Just be thankful this didn't descend into a full blown, Metric vs
"Imperial" vs S.A.E. vs USCS vs Whitworth. Debate, then it wouldn't matter
a damn which way the thread was tapped.

Savageduck
Old January 31st 19, 03:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 21:27:05 -0600, Savageduck
wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 11:01:39 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Or on a drill.

most drills have a reversing switch.

Try to drill in reverse.

a drill does more than just drilling. for example, tightening or
loosening a nut or driving or removing a screw.

it's quite common for a power drill to have a reversing switch.

It didn't use to be. And even when they did they wouldn't run
backwards as well as they ran forwards.

drills didn't use to have a motor.

This started with lawnmowers.

in other words, you admit you're not sticking to the topic

I will if you admit you have stopped beating your wife.

That starts with the assumption that he has a wife.

I am sure any such argument will get to a point where he will claim
that he never said he hadn't.

Eric Stevens
Old January 31st 19, 05:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2019-01-30 04:06, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 20:07:36 -0500, Alan Browne

On 2019-01-29 17:44, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 08:19:27 -0500, Alan Browne
wrote:

Honda's are amongst the best value cars there are. My Honda Accord is
16 years old this year. Looking to buy a new one this March/April.

My Honda Legend (Acura R) is a 2003 model and still runs almost like
new.

Since I've been visiting dealerships shopping for a new Accord, my old
Accord is suddenly running better than ever. Strange.

I've done hundreds of thousands of miles in Accords. They are very
good cars. Interestingly, the current Civics are now at a level higher
than were Accords when they first started.

My first Accord was the '89. Smaller than today's Civic. Nice, tight,
if underpowered, car.

--
"2/3 of Donald Trump's wives were immigrants. Proof that we
need immigrants to do jobs that most Americans wouldn't do."
Old January 31st 19, 05:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2019-01-30 17:55, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 01:05:49 -0000, Alan Browne

On 2019-01-29 16:15, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Just disconnect it.* A Haynes manual will tell you how.

I'd rather have it.* Never know.* Didn't cost anything to get fixed.

Airbags, like seatbelts, cause as much harm as good.* I never wear a
seatbelt unless there's a cop nearby.* My friend's father died because
he was trapped by his seatbelt in an accident.* They're also damn
annoying - whenever you lean forwards at a junction to see if any
traffic is coming, the damn thing locks!* Then you've got to slowly lean
back and forwards again, trying to encourage it to believe you weren't
thrown forwards in an accident.

Complete and utter nonsense.

the "tech" told me there were additional codes but he
wouldn't tell me w/o paying a fee.* And then I found the other codes
printed on my $0 invoice.* I guess someone screwed up.* I don't know
how
they treat customers these days in that respect.

I avoid Honda ever since my ABS failed and the two sensors were £160
each.* There were no 3rd party alternatives.* I managed to get them
for
£110 each by getting an American friend to buy them then post them
over
to me in the UK!* My next car was a VW.* Same problem, failed ABS
sensor, only £12 for a genuine part, £5 for a fake.* Honda can kiss
my ass.

Honda's are amongst the best value cars there are.* My Honda Accord is
16 years old this year.* Looking to buy a new one this March/April.

But when they break they cost too much for the parts.

Not at all.* My power steering actuator failed last year.* I assumed it
would cost a fortune.* $185.* Installed.

Exhaust manifold 2 years ago.* $400.* Installed.

That is VERY expensive.* $400 for an exhaust!??!

No. Exhaust _manifold_. The thing that gathers the exhaust from the
engine before the expansion joint leading to the catalytic converter.

Front brake calipers, $650.* Installed.* (at 15 years in...).

Holy ****, mine (on the Renault) were £300, at a very expensive garage.
If I'd have bought them myself they would have been half that.

$650 CAD = £375. Includes labour, disks, pads.

Get over yourself.

Etc.* Not expensive to maintain compared to my friends cars (BMW's,
Range Rover, M-Benz, Volvo, etc.).

Yeah I agree on the BMW.* Expensive parts, and they haven't invented
front wheel drive yet.* Tailhappy useless dangerous cars.

No. Just expensive and nice to drive.

Old January 31st 19, 05:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

wrote:

Etc. Not expensive to maintain compared to my friends cars (BMW's,
Range Rover, M-Benz, Volvo, etc.).

Yeah I agree on the BMW. Expensive parts, and they haven't invented front
wheel drive yet. Tailhappy useless dangerous cars.

only if you don't know how to drive, which is clearly the case.

performance vehicles are almost always rwd, for very good reasons. fwd
benefits the car maker, not the driver.

Lower manufacturing cost = lower ownership cost.

Less weight = less fuel consumption.

Traction on very wet roads, snow, ice, mud: far better with FWD than
rear. A lot.

Not to say it's not _fun_ driving rear wheel drive cars, hard to beat.
But that's not the purpose of cars for 99% of people.