Nikon is backwards

Old January 30th 19, 01:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

Default Nikon is backwards

On 2019-01-29 16:15, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 13:19:27 -0000, Alan Browne

On 2019-01-28 18:59, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 23:27:13 -0000, Alan Browne

On 2019-01-28 18:11, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 23:06:55 -0000, Alan Browne

On 2019-01-28 16:49, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 18:01:55 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"

And for some reason motors must spin a certain way?

It's standard. If a motor rotated the other way no doubt you would
complain about it.

US, UK/Italy/Germany/Japan manufactured helicopters generally have
rotors turn CW (viewed from below).

So do French and Russian ... when viewed from above.* ;-)

The French always have to be different.* Take my Renault for
example, it
refuses to give the error codes to any OBD device except a Renault
one.
OBD is supposed to be a standard.* I've had to buy a pirate Renault
Clip
interface (£85 - the real one is £4000, hence most garages don't have
one) to get the data so I can fix it.* I will absolutely not pay a
Renault main dealer just to find a fault.

Renault's sold in North America would be obligated by law to spit out
their OBD's w/o need for a hacked interface.
Legal requirement for cars made and sold 1996+.

Same in Europe.* But OBD doesn't seem to legally require much above
emissions testing.* All the more important stuff like ABS failure,
engine failure, they don't care about.

Here (North America) trouble codes go to all manner of component issues.

Same here, but manufacturers are not using the same codes as each other,
so to get the code, you need an expensive manufacturer specific reader,
it's absurd.* I'm hoping my pirate Renault Clip interface (for £85
instead of£4000) will tell me what's wrong.

I've never heard of anyone not being able to get the codes. OTOH, your
"reader" may not give you specifics, but there are plenty of online
sites that do. In the case of BlueDriver, well decoded and has nothing
to do with Renault.

OTOH, most sane people avoid Renault like the plague.

I avoid them too.* But when I bought it, similarly priced cars were
double the mileage, half the size, and half the power.* I guess that's
indicative of everyone avoiding them.* I'm surprised they're still in
business, they should have gone under like Rover.

They are not qualified for Quebec winters by any measure.

They can't handle the heat either.* My last Renault seized the engine
when it overheated in .... FRANCE!

The linked article suggests that they will take another kick at the can
in promoting their trash in North America:
http://loutardeliberee.com/voitures-...er-de-nouveau/

I thought half of Canada was French folk?

1/5 ish French speaking.

Ship them back over to France where they belong!

Hell no. 1/5 of the people and 4/5 of the best food and best attitudes
in Canada.

Garages here no longer charge to read OBD because there are many
devices
available on the market.

Indeed - but the Brits are gullible and throw money at garages.* I've
reported two of my local garages to Trading Standards for malpractice.
One tried to charge me £165 for a £55 part.

Last time I was at Honda for an airbag recall
(10 years ago),

Pah!* You can ignore recalls you know.

Ignore an airbag safety recall?* That would be absolutely stupid.

Just disconnect it.* A Haynes manual will tell you how.

I'd rather have it. Never know. Didn't cost anything to get fixed.

the "tech" told me there were additional codes but he
wouldn't tell me w/o paying a fee.* And then I found the other codes
printed on my $0 invoice.* I guess someone screwed up.* I don't know
how
they treat customers these days in that respect.

I avoid Honda ever since my ABS failed and the two sensors were £160
each.* There were no 3rd party alternatives.* I managed to get them for
£110 each by getting an American friend to buy them then post them over
to me in the UK!* My next car was a VW.* Same problem, failed ABS
sensor, only £12 for a genuine part, £5 for a fake.* Honda can kiss
my ass.

Honda's are amongst the best value cars there are.* My Honda Accord is
16 years old this year.* Looking to buy a new one this March/April.

But when they break they cost too much for the parts.

Not at all. My power steering actuator failed last year. I assumed it
would cost a fortune. $185. Installed.

Exhaust manifold 2 years ago. $400. Installed.

Front brake calipers, $650. Installed. (at 15 years in...).

Etc. Not expensive to maintain compared to my friends cars (BMW's,
Range Rover, M-Benz, Volvo, etc.).

--
"2/3 of Donald Trump's wives were immigrants. Proof that we
need immigrants to do jobs that most Americans wouldn't do."
Old January 30th 19, 01:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2019-01-29 17:44, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 08:19:27 -0500, Alan Browne
wrote:

Honda's are amongst the best value cars there are. My Honda Accord is
16 years old this year. Looking to buy a new one this March/April.

My Honda Legend (Acura R) is a 2003 model and still runs almost like
new.

Since I've been visiting dealerships shopping for a new Accord, my old
Accord is suddenly running better than ever. Strange.

Old January 30th 19, 01:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

wrote:

Honda's are amongst the best value cars there are.* My Honda Accord is
16 years old this year.* Looking to buy a new one this March/April.

My Honda Legend (Acura R) is a 2003 model and still runs almost like
new.

Since I've been visiting dealerships shopping for a new Accord, my old
Accord is suddenly running better than ever.* Strange.

Much like the TV (of times well past) that always worked perfectly
when the service guy came.

Don't tell me they're just machines ...they know, they know. ;-)
--
==
Later...

Old January 30th 19, 03:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 1/28/2019 12:38 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

snip

The propane connection as safety feature ensuring that only a proper
fitting can be connected to a tank. It stops idiots like you from
blowing themselves up.

A blonde terrorist was sent to blow up a tank. She burned her lips on
the exhaust.

--
PeterN
Old January 30th 19, 09:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 17:51:51 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Or on a drill.

most drills have a reversing switch.

Try to drill in reverse.

a drill does more than just drilling. for example, tightening or
loosening a nut or driving or removing a screw.

it's quite common for a power drill to have a reversing switch.

It didn't use to be. And even when they did they wouldn't run
backwards as well as they ran forwards.

drills didn't use to have a motor.

This started with lawnmowers.

what matters is what's available *now*.

Eric Stevens
Old January 30th 19, 09:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

Honda's are amongst the best value cars there are. My Honda Accord is
16 years old this year. Looking to buy a new one this March/April.

My Honda Legend (Acura R) is a 2003 model and still runs almost like
new.

Since I've been visiting dealerships shopping for a new Accord, my old
Accord is suddenly running better than ever. Strange.

I've done hundreds of thousands of miles in Accords. They are very
good cars. Interestingly, the current Civics are now at a level higher
than were Accords when they first started.

Eric Stevens
Old January 30th 19, 11:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_6_]

On 30/01/2019 11:21, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 29 January 2019 22:31:13 UTC, David B. wrote:

Curiosity is what motivates me to try everything available.

As they say curiosity killed the cat and food brought it back.

Indeed! :-)

--
David B.
Old January 30th 19, 01:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 17:51:51 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Or on a drill.

most drills have a reversing switch.

Try to drill in reverse.

a drill does more than just drilling. for example, tightening or
loosening a nut or driving or removing a screw.

it's quite common for a power drill to have a reversing switch.

It didn't use to be. And even when they did they wouldn't run
backwards as well as they ran forwards.

drills didn't use to have a motor.

This started with lawnmowers.

Actually this all started with Nikon lens mounts.

what matters is what's available *now*.

Savageduck
Old January 30th 19, 01:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 30/01/2019 12.13, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 29 January 2019 18:32:10 UTC, Carlos E.R. wrote:
On 29/01/2019 18.54, nospam wrote:

next time, get a better drill.

ROTFL! Typical nospam useless answer.

nope. you chose a non-reversible drill. next time choose one that can.

Are you sure my father could choose back then?
Did you live here then and you didn't tell?
At the time, reversible drills did not exist.

I think they have always existed, well perhaps they came about a few minuutes afetre the forward drill was invented.

Maybe there, but not here. All we could get around 1970 were single
speed non reversible drills. Unless you were prepared to pay triple.

What I mean, anyway, is that is why most motors *were* made to turn in
the same direction. It is a tradition, so to speak, and it started that way.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old January 30th 19, 01:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 29/01/2019 23.51, nospam wrote:
In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Or on a drill.

most drills have a reversing switch.

Try to drill in reverse.

a drill does more than just drilling. for example, tightening or
loosening a nut or driving or removing a screw.

it's quite common for a power drill to have a reversing switch.

It didn't use to be. And even when they did they wouldn't run
backwards as well as they ran forwards.

drills didn't use to have a motor.

And they could not turn in reverse, because the chuck would unscrew.
Same thing.

what matters is what's available *now*.

We are trying to explain where comes the "tradition" of motors turning
in the "right" direction.

--
Cheers, Carlos.