Suitable tripod for Pentax 6x7

Old April 23rd 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

Default Suitable tripod for Pentax 6x7

Stefan Patric wrote:
On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 17:24:15 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

Christopher Tidy wrote:

Thanks very much for the thoughts. I did a bit more research and
discovered that the Manfrotto 168 head is the older version of the
488RC0, which has a load capacity of 8 kg, so it should be okay with a
Pentax 6x7. I even found a post at the Photo.net forum by someone
commenting that the 168 head was okay for use with a Mamiya RZ67. Even
if I divide 8 kg by 2, it should comfortably cope with the Pentax.

The 055 is about "right" I would say. The 190 (you mentioned earlier)
is a bit on the light side. I have the 055MF3 (carbon fibre legs) as
well as a 190. I use a geared head, but a medium ball should do as well.

And another recommendation: To reduce camera shake during a tripod
mounted exposure and make for sharper photos, lockup the mirror, if you
can, before tripping the shutter. The torque induced by the mirror
flipping up can really shake a medium format SLR camera a lot. However,
it's only really a problem with slow shutters speeds like less the 1/30 or
so. It also depends on how long a lens you have mounted: longer lenses
amplify the movement.

I would increase the mirror torque/slap range to as fast as 1/125 up to
about 2 seconds. As you imply, different lenses mean different
resonance characteristics due to the slap. Longer lenses would be the
worst for both amplitude and cycle length, I would imagine.

Early edition Pentax 6x7's did not have MLU but it was introduced at one
point and Pentax would even update non MU cameras. (Per Karen
Nakamura's site).

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old December 29th 13, 02:57 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
JCH

On 29/09/13, 5:18, wrote:
On Sunday, April 15, 2007 12:52:53 PM UTC-4, Christopher Tidy wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm thinking of moving into medium format photography when money
allows. Currently I shoot 35 mm with a Nikkormat FT3, which I love,
but there are times when I would like better resolution for my best
pictures.

I use a Manfrotto 190B tripod with the 168 ball head. Do people think
this tripod is sturdy enough to carry a Pentax 6x7? The reason I ask

Yes, it is.

I use the Manfrotto 190XB legs with a Manfrotto gear head (the 410) with a Pentax 6x7 and a Mamiya 645 Pro TL. Works lovely, though the head is quite heavy.

Despite these legs being "borderline" for awkwardly shaped medium format cameras like the 6x7, a very solid (and heavy) head (particularly one as well matched as the 410, or say a RRS 55 if you go for ball heads) will bring the legs up a full class. Noticeably.

The Pentax 6x7 will also work well on the 190 legs with an Arca Swiss P0 ball head (this is a surprisingly lightweight and rigid support system, and superb for carrying in the mountains).

Yes! 6x7 is a 'Go' on these legs, but I would recommend a stronger head and the excellent Kirk L bracket to get the 6x7 on its side for portrait orientations. Weight is always a consideration.

The legs and head work together as a system! Never more true than with these legs. It takes a lot of money to get much better rigidity and a little less weight than the 190. Very simple, effective and smart path.

_____
I concur. I use my Manfrotto tripod #144 with a #056 3D Junior Camera
Head (
http://www.manfrotto.com/3d-junior-camera-head). The #144 tripod
is similar to the 190B version. I am 1.93 m tall, and fortunately the
tripod gives me the height i need.

My Pentax 6x6 and 645 cameras have an anti-twist hole 3cm away from the
1/4" threaded mounting screw hole. The 6x7 is heavy with a long lens
(like a 165f2.8 for portraits). They tend to twist a bit in portrait
orientation, so i have looked at getting a Manfrotto quick release with
a plate that provides the correct pin that engages with the anti-twist
hole in the camera body. A Kirk "L" bracket work work as well.

Regards / John

JCHStudio AT shaw DOT ca