My First Wedding

Old September 14th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PTravel

Default My First Wedding

"embee" wrote in message
Hello,

I've just posted some pictures I took at a recent wedding and I'd be
very grateful to group members if they'd have a look and tell me what
they think. First, some background:

Two things:

1. Watch your backgrounds. Two many of the shots have heads intersecting
with strong horizontal lines, vertical lines cutting people down the middle,
etc.

2. Don't place the focus of attention dead center in the frame. When
you're shooting people, heads belong in the top third of the picture, not
the smack in the center.

Old September 14th 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

embee wrote:
I'd welcome comments about what I got wrong and what I got right, as
well as any advice on how I can improve. Thanks for looking:
http://www.pbase.com/midie/wedding

I fought a similar battle recently at my niece's wedding.
http://www.pbase.com/bret/christa

I could have gotten a lot more quality shots, but most of them would
have been dupes of what the official photographer shot. So I just
stayed out of his way and tried to fill in where I could with some
candids. Afterwards, you'll always second-guess yourself and think of
shots you should have taken (at least I did), but I guess all that
pre-planning comes from experience.

As you can see from your shots, the outdoor shots ended up looking the
most natural.
The ones inside suffer from the overuse of direct on-camera flash
(bounced is better) and the various skin tones due to white balance
problems. This is normal when you have a combination of light sources
such as room light and window light. One way to handle it is to do a
custom white balance using something like a WhiBal card. This will get
you closer to the "correct" color when shooting indoors. In my wedding
shoot, I was only able to take a few shots outdoors and naturally,
those are the ones that looked the best.

Old September 14th 06, 06:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
embee

"PTravel" wrote in message

"embee" wrote in message
Hello,

I've just posted some pictures I took at a recent wedding and I'd be
very grateful to group members if they'd have a look and tell me what
they think. First, some background:

Two things:

1. Watch your backgrounds. Two many of the shots have heads intersecting
with strong horizontal lines, vertical lines cutting people down the
middle, etc.

As soon as I opened the pictures after the wedding, I realised my framing
was inadequate. I was limited in my choice of shooting positions (because
the pro was working nearby most of the time) but I accept I could have done
better and your point about strong lines intersecting with subjects is one I
will take on board in future.

Thanks for the post.

Old September 14th 06, 06:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
embee

"Annika1980" wrote in message
oups.com...

embee wrote:
I'd welcome comments about what I got wrong and what I got right, as
well as any advice on how I can improve. Thanks for looking:
http://www.pbase.com/midie/wedding

I fought a similar battle recently at my niece's wedding.
http://www.pbase.com/bret/christa

Some nice shots!

I could have gotten a lot more quality shots, but most of them would
have been dupes of what the official photographer shot. So I just
stayed out of his way and tried to fill in where I could with some
candids. Afterwards, you'll always second-guess yourself and think of
shots you should have taken (at least I did), but I guess all that
pre-planning comes from experience.

Next time I plan to capitalise on the fact that the pro is concentrating on
getting the standard shots - I will take a longer lens as well as my 24-105
and exclusively look for the off-guard, unposed moments.

As you can see from your shots, the outdoor shots ended up looking the
most natural.
The ones inside suffer from the overuse of direct on-camera flash
(bounced is better) and the various skin tones due to white balance
problems. This is normal when you have a combination of light sources
such as room light and window light. One way to handle it is to do a
custom white balance using something like a WhiBal card. This will get
you closer to the "correct" color when shooting indoors. In my wedding
shoot, I was only able to take a few shots outdoors and naturally,
those are the ones that looked the best.

I did bounce the flash in some of the indoor shots, but in others the
ceiling was way too high and the ones I bounced off the walls didn't work
out. My big mistake was forgetting my difuser. Doh!!

I've always managed to do without a white balance card in the past, but I
may revise my opinion and get one for the next wedding or indoor event I do.
I can see where one would be useful!.

Thanks for posting.

Old September 14th 06, 11:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joseph Meehan

embee wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Phil wrote:

OP: Frankly I almost totally skipped over your images until I
read the fact that you recognized the difference between your
responsibilities and the professionals and the need for the pro to
have primary access. Those are the photos that everyone expects and
had better be there or someone will be mad, even if it is not the
bride or groom, it may be the mother or aunt or brother.

Thanks Joseph,

I was VERY conscious of this, and went to great lengths not to step
on any toes (figuratively speaking!)

The pro was there to do his job, which pays his bills. I was there as
a guest, hoping to get a couple of nice pictures while also enjoying
a happy day. Two totally different roles.

I didn't have the same access to the posed shots of the bride and
groom, but then again I wasn't earning my living that day.

Next time I find myself in a similar situation, I'll remember to take
along a longer lens - I feel I could have got some nice unguarded
candids working around the fringes of the event, instead of trying
for posed shots. It's an excuse to go shopping for a nice 200mm L
lens anyway......!
Cheers.

You did a good job both photographicly and professionally (being aware
that your job was different than that of the paid professional and allowing
them to do their job)

If you see you are going to do this again, I would only make one
suggestion. Go to the library and try to find a book or two on wedding
photography. Most will have list and examples of standard wedding photos.
They will also have a number of very good non-standard photos. That along
with photos from friends and family will be good sources of ideas. You do
not need to copy or get all the photos on a list, that is a chore for the
professional, but they can give you ideas for what you do best. I also
suggest asking people what pictures they like best.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit