LTM to M adaptor - focussing?

Old June 2nd 06, 09:20 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default LTM to M adaptor - focussing?

I am interested in finding out how the M rangefinder would handle
focussing if a thread mount lens is used by means of an adaptor?

I received my much anticipated Leica Summaron lens on Wednesday, but
unfortunately it cannot be repaired to 100%. The front element is
splitting on the edges and the fungus has unfortunately etched the
coatings on the rear element and one of the internal elements. Damn. I
just can't win...(and I sold my F100 to get this sucker).

What I am thinking of doing now is looking at the Voigtlander lenses as
an alternative. They seem to be quite well regarded and are a fraction
of the price of the Summicrons. How do they compare optically to Leica?

--
http://www.nikongear.com/
Old June 3rd 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"DD" wrote in message
I am interested in finding out how the M rangefinder would handle
focussing if a thread mount lens is used by means of an adaptor?

I received my much anticipated Leica Summaron lens on Wednesday, but
unfortunately it cannot be repaired to 100%. The front element is
splitting on the edges and the fungus has unfortunately etched the
coatings on the rear element and one of the internal elements. Damn. I
just can't win...(and I sold my F100 to get this sucker).

What I am thinking of doing now is looking at the Voigtlander lenses as
an alternative. They seem to be quite well regarded and are a fraction
of the price of the Summicrons. How do they compare optically to Leica?

That's ok, the F100 is a fine camera, but what you want is an F6!

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old June 6th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

DD wrote:
I am interested in finding out how the M rangefinder would handle
focussing if a thread mount lens is used by means of an adaptor?

I received my much anticipated Leica Summaron lens on Wednesday, but
unfortunately it cannot be repaired to 100%. The front element is
splitting on the edges and the fungus has unfortunately etched the
coatings on the rear element and one of the internal elements. Damn. I
just can't win...(and I sold my F100 to get this sucker).

What I am thinking of doing now is looking at the Voigtlander lenses as
an alternative. They seem to be quite well regarded and are a fraction
of the price of the Summicrons. How do they compare optically to Leica?

LTM lenses + adaptor focus perfectly on my M6.

My personal experience with the Voigtländer lenses is limited to the
21mm & 15mm. I find both very good.
The 21mm is better than any similar focal length I've used on SLRs (I
still haven't made a direct comparison with my Zeiss 18mm).
I just came back from a two-week walk using both extensively (they are
tiny).
The main thing that is missing are the excellent lens shades which
usually accompany Leica lenses.

In general, Leica guru Erwin Puts compares the Voigtländer lenses
favorably with the previous generation Leica ones.
http://www.imx.nl/photosite/japan/voigtl01.html

YMMV...
Old June 7th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

DD wrote:
In article , says...
LTM lenses + adaptor focus perfectly on my M6.

My personal experience with the Voigtländer lenses is limited to the
21mm & 15mm. I find both very good.
The 21mm is better than any similar focal length I've used on SLRs (I
still haven't made a direct comparison with my Zeiss 18mm).
I just came back from a two-week walk using both extensively (they are
tiny).
The main thing that is missing are the excellent lens shades which
usually accompany Leica lenses.

In general, Leica guru Erwin Puts compares the Voigtländer lenses
favorably with the previous generation Leica ones.
http://www.imx.nl/photosite/japan/voigtl01.html

Thanks Chris. I need to sort this out this week. The guy I bought the
35mm Summaron from is offering me the other slower 3.5 Summaron as an
alternative, but I haven't read too much good about that lens.

I think any of the lenses you are considering will give you "good
enough" results.
The question is, what look are you going for?
The Summarons will give you a classic look, with the "Leica glow", lots
of detail in the shadow, lower contrast and a smoother/rounder look.
The Voigtländers will be higher contrast, "harder" and probably sharper;
a definitely more modern look.

A bit like choosing between pastels and acrylic; it's a matter of taste
or preference - you can paint a great picture with either...