Where to discuss film cameras?

Old October 13th 10, 02:07 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
[email protected]

Default Where to discuss film cameras?

Well I can't believe no one is talking about medium format film camera
use and clearly this newsgroup is all but dead. Any suggestions of web
sites etc that are active? I'm a collector of older models and user. TIA
for any suggestions.

Stephaney
Old October 13th 10, 04:29 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
[email protected]

On 10/12/2010 10:52 PM, shiva das wrote:
In ,
wrote:

Well I can't believe no one is talking about medium format film camera
use and clearly this newsgroup is all but dead. Any suggestions of web
sites etc that are active? I'm a collector of older models and user. TIA
for any suggestions.

Stephaney

I primarily use these, although the tone at photo.net has gotten
somewhat caustic in recent years.

http://www.photo.net
http://www.apug.org
http://www.luminous-landscape.com
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/medium-format-large-format/

Good luck!

--Shiv

Thanks for the heads up on the caustic site. Not much time to deal with
drama related to photography :-)

Stephaney
Old October 13th 10, 09:23 AM
Keith Tapscott. Keith Tapscott. is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Well I can't believe no one is talking about medium format film camera
use and clearly this newsgroup is all but dead. Any suggestions of web
sites etc that are active? I'm a collector of older models and user. TIA
for any suggestions.

Stephaney
Stephaney, Shiva has given some good suggestions, but I will add the Film & Darkroom Users site to the list where you can discuss any film format, along with traditional analogue photography and darkroom topics.

There is no annual subscription fee either for uploading scans of your photographs to the gallery. There collectors of vintage Cameras there as well.

www.fadu.org.uk
Old October 14th 10, 12:13 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
K W Hart

"Andreas Gugau" wrote in message
Am 13.10.2010 22:31, schrieb Alan Browne:
On 10-10-12 21:07 , wrote:
Well I can't believe no one is talking about medium format film camera
use and clearly this newsgroup is all but dead. Any suggestions of web
sites etc that are active? I'm a collector of older models and user. TIA
for any suggestions.

I sometimes look for answers at photo.net and apug (better, maybe).

This NG is all but dead.

I've shot less than 10 rolls of 120 this year (mostly studio).
And no 35mm at all.

Though the colours are out, and maybe this weekend I'll get the chrome
out. My biggest issue is developing film. It's now a trek into the
city, about an hour round trip.

Just do it yourself. It's easy and not expencive.

Andreas

I concur. C41 processing is easy if you can deal with consistency in time
and temp. The big problem is shelf life of the chems. To 'solve' this, check
out Trebla chems from CPAC. The chems are packaged for mixing large
quantities (10-25Liters), but the packaging gives instructions for mixing
one liter at a time. Get a couple of syringes to measure out quantities of a
couple mL, and you can mix a tankful. Their RA4 chems are similiarly
packaged, and many of their chems are not HazMat, so shipping is less of an
issue.
As to cost, it's about the same as the local one-hour, except the only
fingerprints on the negs will be your own!

Old October 15th 10, 12:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
rwalker

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 15:28:23 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

Not worth the bother for so little film. 8 rolls, 5 are C-41, 3 are
E-6. Shelf life of some of the chemicals is a PITA as well (I still
have some B&W chemicals that are far beyond date...).

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.

I've thought of learning to develop film myself, but the little film
that I shoot makes it not worth it.
Old October 15th 10, 03:11 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

wrote:

Not worth the bother for so little film. 8 rolls, 5 are C-41, 3 are
E-6. Shelf life of some of the chemicals is a PITA as well (I still
have some B&W chemicals that are far beyond date...).

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.

I've thought of learning to develop film myself, but the little film
that I shoot makes it not worth it.

B&W is a trifle. C-41 is a PITA (esp. prints).

E-6 is like B&W but 3X more effort and warmer.

So, much easier to head to the store that still develops.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.