anyone knows if this is anygood? Nikon fit Sigma 1000mm f13.5 Mirror-telephoto

Old February 25th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
banjo

Default anyone knows if this is anygood? Nikon fit Sigma 1000mm f13.5 Mirror-telephoto

anyone knows if this is anygood?
i have been offered one for £135gbp

Nikon fit Sigma 1000mm f13.5 Mirror-telephoto Multi coated lens in mint
condition. Complete with built in lens hood, both end caps, rear filter
holder with filters in case, tripod collar all in leatherette case.

Old February 25th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rutger

" banjo" schreef in bericht
anyone knows if this is anygood?
i have been offered one for £135gbp

Nikon fit Sigma 1000mm f13.5 Mirror-telephoto Multi coated lens in mint
condition. Complete with built in lens hood, both end caps, rear filter
holder with filters in case, tripod collar all in leatherette case.

Mirrors are never really sharp, never as sharp as a lens.
Furthermore it's a quite slow lens, will only perform under very bright
light.

But why don't ask the seller to try the mirror for a couple of hours?
Then you will know enough, i guess.

For the money it could be a nice gadget.

Rutger

--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zwaarddrager

Old February 25th 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike Russell

" banjo" schreef in bericht
anyone knows if this is anygood?
i have been offered one for £135gbp

Nikon fit Sigma 1000mm f13.5 Mirror-telephoto Multi coated lens in mint
condition. Complete with built in lens hood, both end caps, rear filter
holder with filters in case, tripod collar all in leatherette case.

Could be a fine lens for certain purposes - may get you otherwise impossible
shots of wildlife in daylight for example. Mirrors are lightweight and
compact compared a similar refractor. I'd be concerned whether it could be
focused or not. Try using DOF preview with one of your longer current
lenses, and see if you can focus down to f13.5. That lens will need to be
manually focused even for infinity.
--
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/

Old February 25th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

In article , Mike Russell
-MOVE wrote:

Try using DOF preview with one of your longer current
lenses, and see if you can focus down to f13.5. That lens will need to be
manually focused even for infinity.

Also remember that there's no stopping mirrors down to cover minor
focusing errors.

Years back, I had a Celestron 1000mm. Best results were with a Nikon F3
body with a matte screen, and eyepiece magnifier, and a big Bogen
crutch-leg tripod. The screens in current AF bodies will be brighter
but harder to focus, IMHO.

The number of days where it was both bright enough, and the air clear
enough, for decent pictures were very few. These days I use a Tamron
200-400 with much better results. If I need a closer view I use my
Volkswagen accessory.

In other words, the practical limitations far outweigh any optical
quality issues. If you can afford the money for a toy, it'll keep you
occupied a while; otherwise...nah.
Old February 26th 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Toby

" banjo" wrote in message
anyone knows if this is anygood?
i have been offered one for £135gbp

Nikon fit Sigma 1000mm f13.5 Mirror-telephoto Multi coated lens in mint
condition. Complete with built in lens hood, both end caps, rear filter
holder with filters in case, tripod collar all in leatherette case.

This is awfully slow. Both the Nikon and the MTO Russian 1000 mirrors have a
nominal f-stop of 11, which becomes effectively something around 13-14 when
you factor in transmission losses. Your lens would probably in reality be in
the neighborhood of f16. You'd better think about what you could shoot with
that. I have an 1000/11 MTO that I bought for next to nothing ($200), and
have found that it is not very useful in reality. The lens is big and heavy,
and you need a good tripod (big and heavy) to use it in anything but the
brightest sunlight at a relativley high ISO. It is a pain to lug around, and
I'll bet that you won't unless you have specific shots that require such a
long focal length.

But to answer your question, I don't know this lens specifically. I am
guessing that it is an older lens, and while there are quite a few good
newer Sigmas a lot of the older ones are terrible, if not worse. This lens
date from the 1980s, so caveat emptor...

Toby

Old February 26th 07, 08:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
banjo

"Toby" wrote in message

" banjo" wrote in message
[...]

thank you for that toby.
after reading what others have said, i have decided to give this lens a
miss.

Old February 26th 07, 02:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Ruether

" banjo" wrote in message ...

after reading what others have said, i have decided to give this lens a miss.

A surprisingly good smallish/lightish long lens is the older-version
Nikkor 500mm f8 combined with the TC14 or TC14B (you need
to remove the rear filter on the mirror to mount the converter).
F11 (slower in practice) 700mm (1050mm equivalent on digital),
but good enough for some purposes and easy to carry.
--
David Ruether

www.donferrario.com/ruether/
(note the address change)