Get 40 D or 5 D?

Old November 2nd 07, 11:19 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Donald Specker

Default Get 40 D or 5 D?

I made the mistake of waiting for the 5 D successor (due in part to input
from people who clearly didn't really know), which I expected to be out this
calendar year. I'd like to get into digital in 2007 and now it looks like
the 40 D is a viable alternative (albeit not FF). Image quality is
reportedly on par or better than the 5 D, and it has newer features
(anti-dust, etc.). I'm leaning toward grabbing a 40 D at this point, and
wait until the next generation 5 D comes out. The 40 D should be a good
complement and backup anyway.

Thanks.

Old November 2nd 07, 11:35 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Nov 2, 7:19 am, "Donald Specker"
wrote:
I made the mistake of waiting for the 5 D successor (due in part to input
from people who clearly didn't really know), which I expected to be out this
calendar year. I'd like to get into digital in 2007 and now it looks like
the 40 D is a viable alternative (albeit not FF). Image quality is
reportedly on par or better than the 5 D, and it has newer features
(anti-dust, etc.). I'm leaning toward grabbing a 40 D at this point, and
wait until the next generation 5 D comes out. The 40 D should be a good
complement and backup anyway.

Thanks.

I think you will be very happy with the 40D. Check this out:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...-handson.shtml
Helen

Old November 2nd 07, 11:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

wrote:
I made the mistake of waiting for the 5 D successor (due in part to input
from people who clearly didn't really know), which I expected to be out this
calendar year. I'd like to get into digital in 2007 and now it looks like
the 40 D is a viable alternative (albeit not FF). Image quality is
reportedly on par or better than the 5 D, and it has newer features
(anti-dust, etc.). I'm leaning toward grabbing a 40 D at this point, and
wait until the next generation 5 D comes out. The 40 D should be a good
complement and backup anyway.

Thanks.

What are you shooting? Wide angle slow things, the 5D; Telephoto fast
moving things, the 40D or even an old 30D or 20D, You want to start
out "old" school; I'm thinking about getting rid of my 10D.

The good news is if you want to get a 5D the price dropped another
$150 2 weeks after I got mine. :-)

Old November 2nd 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Draco

wrote:
I made the mistake of waiting for the 5 D successor (due in part to input
from people who clearly didn't really know), which I expected to be out this
calendar year. I'd like to get into digital in 2007 and now it looks like
the 40 D is a viable alternative (albeit not FF). Image quality is
reportedly on par or better than the 5 D, and it has newer features
(anti-dust, etc.). I'm leaning toward grabbing a 40 D at this point, and
wait until the next generation 5 D comes out. The 40 D should be a good
complement and backup anyway.

Thanks.

Waiting and waiting for the next new camera to appear on the horizon
is like looking for the perfect virgin in a naval town. No such luck.
Sorry Ms Helen for the comparison.
Buy now and start shooting. By the time you have learned all the
bells and whistles of digital photography, the fourth or fifth
generation camera will have hit the market and you will be ready for
it.

Draco