weather seals

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 20th 06, 05:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
RobJ

Default weather seals

I'm getting more and more into photography, especially nature and macro
stuff, and would like to start planning some camping/hiking trips where I
can take my gear (currently a 10D and a mixture of Canon and Tamron lenses).
I'm happy with the 10D, but have never tried to use it in bad weather. I
just avoid it.

How do other people with non-sealed DSLRs (and lenses) deal with bad weather
conditions, particularly rain and dust? Do you avoid it completely, or are
there ways to make it work without damaging anything? I can afford a 1D
series camera and L lenses if I have to, but I don't want to heft around
that extra weight and spend the extra cash unless it's going to make my life
a lot easier on the trail. Is the pro gear completely bullet-proof, or is
there really only a marginal difference between what the pro stuff can
handle vs. the 10D/20D/30D kind of gear under harsh conditions?

Thanks,
Rob