KODACHROMES LOVE THE SE 5400!

Old November 3rd 07, 06:28 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
Annika1980

Default KODACHROMES LOVE THE SE 5400!

I was scanning a few old slides for a friend tonight and thought this
one was particularly cool. Mr. C calls it simply, "The Drug Store."

That Kodachrome slide was taken 60 years ago.
Let's hope our digital images hold up as well.
I'll wager not.

Old November 3rd 07, 07:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
[email protected]

On Nov 3, 1:28 am, Annika1980 wrote:
I was scanning a few old slides for a friend tonight and thought this
one was particularly cool. Mr. C calls it simply, "The Drug Store."

That Kodachrome slide was taken 60 years ago.
Let's hope our digital images hold up as well.
I'll wager not.

I love these old pics. They bring you back in time, although this is
WAY before my time! It's amazing how the color and condition of the
slide has held up for so many years. Tell Mr. C. nice pic!
Helen

Old November 3rd 07, 10:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
N[_5_]

wrote in message
ups.com...

I love these old pics. They bring you back in time, although this is
WAY before my time! It's amazing how the color and condition of the
slide has held up for so many years. Tell Mr. C. nice pic!
Helen

Helen, they don't all survive well, but scanning software can do good
things:
This is a slide purchased in about 1970
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1035/...ba0ac97116.jpg
and this is after a bit of tweaking in the scanning software
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1403/...750b433e02.jpg

This slide was one of about a dozen commercial slides in a batch of 200 I
was given to scan. I found the private slides had survived better than the
commercial ones.

Old November 3rd 07, 11:32 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
D.Quatsch

On 2007-11-03 02:30:06 -0700, "N" said:

wrote in message
ups.com...

I love these old pics. They bring you back in time, although this is
WAY before my time! It's amazing how the color and condition of the
slide has held up for so many years. Tell Mr. C. nice pic!
Helen

Helen, they don't all survive well, but scanning software can do good things:
This is a slide purchased in about 1970
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1035/...ba0ac97116.jpg
and this is after a bit of tweaking in the scanning software
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1403/...750b433e02.jpg

This slide was one of about a dozen commercial slides in a batch of 200
I was given to scan. I found the private slides had survived better
than the commercial ones.

were they all Kodachrome? It allegedly has much better archival quality
than other emulsions, especially the old 25 ASA stuff.
--
Vanity is so secure in the heart of man that everyone wants to be
admired: even I who write this, and you who read this.

Old November 3rd 07, 12:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
N[_5_]

On 2007-11-03 02:30:06 -0700, "N" said:

wrote in message
ups.com...

I love these old pics. They bring you back in time, although this is
WAY before my time! It's amazing how the color and condition of the
slide has held up for so many years. Tell Mr. C. nice pic!
Helen

Helen, they don't all survive well, but scanning software can do good
things:
This is a slide purchased in about 1970
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1035/...ba0ac97116.jpg
and this is after a bit of tweaking in the scanning software
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1403/...750b433e02.jpg

This slide was one of about a dozen commercial slides in a batch of 200 I
was given to scan. I found the private slides had survived better than
the commercial ones.

were they all Kodachrome? It allegedly has much better archival quality
than other emulsions, especially the old 25 ASA stuff.

All 200 slides (except for the bought ones) I was given to scan are in
cardboard Kodachrome mounts.

I have a large number of slides of my own, some of which are in Kodachrome
mounts, some in Agfa mounts and some in unbranded mounts.

Old November 3rd 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
[email protected]

On Nov 3, 10:27 am, "Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote:
"N" & "D.Quatsch"

... This is a slide purchased in about 1970
... http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1035/...ba0ac97116.jpg
... and this is after a bit of tweaking in the scanning software
... http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1403/...750b433e02.jpg
.. were they all Kodachrome? It allegedly has much better archival
quality .. than other emulsions, especially the old 25 ASA stuff.
. All 200 slides (except for the bought ones) I was given to scan are in
. cardboard Kodachrome mounts.

Kodachrome fades quickly if projected. Storage conditions
need to be reasonable for Kodachrome to do well. Very
early Kodachromes (30's - 40's) do fade to a brown-magenta.

Kodachrome is a "Schrödinger's cat" of a film: it can
still be good only if nobody looks at it.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Darkroom Automation: F-Stop Timers, Enlarging Metershttp://www.darkroomautomation.com/index.htm

Some great info there Nicholas. I've never researched Kodachrome; I
had no idea it was that old.
Helen

Old November 3rd 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
[email protected]

ups.com...

This is a slide purchased in about 1970http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1035/1390789072_ba0ac97116.jpg
and this is after a bit of tweaking in the scanning softwarehttp://farm2.static.flickr.com/1403/1389366562_750b433e02.jpg

This slide was one of about a dozen commercial slides in a batch of 200 I
was given to scan. I found the private slides had survived better than the
commercial ones.

I'm guessing the private slides survived better because they weren't
viewed on a projector as much as the commercial ones were.
Scanning software is amazing. Thanks for the illustration.
Helen

Old November 3rd 07, 02:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
[email protected]

On Nov 4, 12:27 am, "Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote:
Kodachrome fades quickly if projected. Storage conditions
need to be reasonable for Kodachrome to do well. Very
early Kodachromes (30's - 40's) do fade to a brown-magenta.

Yes, but correct me with references, but you have to do a fair amount
of projecting - either in a single session or in many projections -
before you cause a problem. Most slides were/are projected very
infrequently, and then only for very short periods. So Kodachrome was
not recommended for commercial or educational-type use, where the
images might be projected for lengthy periods, or very frequently.

Kodachrome is a "Schrödinger's cat" of a film: it can
still be good only if nobody looks at it.

I like your analogy, but.. there are other ways to view slides that do
not involve the 'stress' of projection. Most lightboxes/viewers/
scanners have quite gentle light/heat/UV/IR output.

I have multitudes of old K25s (well, 10-30 years) and I don't hesitate
to get them out and look/project. No noticeable fading, although I do
have a few *very* old K25's handed down by my parents and there are a
few faded ones amongst those - but they are more like 40-50 years old
and would have been very rarely projected...

Old November 3rd 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,aus.photo
Michael[_6_]

On 2007-11-03 09:48:31 -0400, said:

[...]

The old 16mm Kodachrome movies handed down to me are still as richly
colorful as they were at the beginning. Of course they are projected
only about once every ten years.

--
Michael