Jim Marshall: Not Fade Away

Old November 8th 05, 05:43 AM

Default Jim Marshall: Not Fade Away

In article ,
says...
I received this book from
www.jimmarshallvault.com a couple of days ago
and looking through the pictures this self-proclaimed "****ing outlaw"
took during the 60's and early 70's re-affirms my conviction that there
is just nothing to beat a good roll of black and white film and a Leica
M for this type of photography.

The photographs are of musicians (mostly dead now) from that particular
era. Some truly haunting shots, like the one of Janis Joplin reclining
on a sofa with a bottle of Southern Comfort in her hand, Duanne Allman
practising guitar in a hotel bathroom, and one that stands out for me as
being truly awesome is that of Jimi Hendrix during a soundcheck - not
the one used on the cover of the book, but another shot of him smiling
during the same soundcheck. His smile was warmth embodied.

Marshall had the inside track on most of his subjects at the time which
explains why he was able to capture these artists as well as he did.
Today's photographers just don't get allowed close enough, which is a
shame and is, I suppose, indicative of just how sterile modern music has
become to us, given that it is mostly "manufactured" by producers and
record label execs trying to promote their artists "image".

Apparently Marshall has an archive of some 20,000 rolls of film from the
period and unlike most other photographers of the day he insisted on
retaining the rights to his work. In some cases he even went as far as
physical violence against editors who he felt had used his photos to
illustrate poor editorial of the artist in question.

Anyway, if you haven't already seen it, take a look at Jim Marshall's
work by visiting the site or ordering the book (signed by him) for $50.
A must-have for anyone who digs the music of the 60's and 70's, Leicas,
or good old fashioned Tri-X photos.

I had the pleasure of meeting him in Palo Alto many years ago and he had
a Nikon F around his neck. I have also seen shots of him with an F. I
never really knew he used Leica, stupid me but I was just keen on his
pics not really caring about what gear he used. At any rate he really did
some great work. I myself have been having a ball lately with an old
Spotmatic and 99 cent store Konica Film. I can hear some of you moaning
now but the shots don't look half bad and one record label may be using
one for a CD cover. Go figure.
Old November 8th 05, 06:12 PM

In article ,
says...
In article t,
says...

I had the pleasure of meeting him in Palo Alto many years ago and he had
a Nikon F around his neck. I have also seen shots of him with an F. I
never really knew he used Leica, stupid me but I was just keen on his
pics not really caring about what gear he used. At any rate he really did
some great work. I myself have been having a ball lately with an old
Spotmatic and 99 cent store Konica Film. I can hear some of you moaning
now but the shots don't look half bad and one record label may be using
one for a CD cover. Go figure.

You met Jim Marshall? How cool is that! He's my favourite photographer.

According to a recent article I read about him in Digital Photographer
(yes, they featured a film shooter), he still has a Nikon or two, but he
says he seldom uses them. His usual approach is to go into a shoot
carrying four Leica M's, each with their own lens. Apparently he doesn't
ever change lenses, he changes bodies.

I am currently wrestling with a big issue of whether to purchase a Leica
M6 or the new whizz-bang Nikon D200. This is keeping me up at night!

I think I would probably get more satisfaction from the M6, but I would
use the D200 more often.

I think you said it all in this last line.

Meeting Mr. Marshall was very cool. He was very humble and just standing
in line at a camera shop waiting his turn to purchase some used lenses.
He asked if I had a real F with me, sort of a joke. We chatted briefly
about Nikons and that was it.
Old November 9th 05, 07:08 AM

In article ,
says...
In article t,
says...

Meeting Mr. Marshall was very cool. He was very humble and just standing
in line at a camera shop waiting his turn to purchase some used lenses.
He asked if I had a real F with me, sort of a joke. We chatted briefly
about Nikons and that was it.

That would have been a surreal moment for me.

He has a new book out called "Proof", which looks quite interesting. It
is pretty much the same collection of pictures form the 60's and 70's as
Not Fade Away, but in addition to the main pictures they have published
his proof sheets from the same roll, along with the reasons why he chose
a particular shot.

I was just reading his intro to NFA again last night and in many ways
his approach to photography is exactly the same as mine. Trust,
simplicity and above all, let the photo stand not as a reflection of
your style, but that of your subject.

Yep, I am having more fun in the last few months with an old Pentax
Spotty and 99 cent store film. I am getting some damn good pics too and
even scanning the drugstore prints on a cheap flatbed is producing some
interesting images. For me it is more art than tech which is why I like
Jim Marshall's stuff too. Some of the best work I have seen in years is
from an Italian named Michele Lazzarotto from Padua. He shoots slides and
then projects them onto scuptures and statues and then re-shoots them
with print film. Great stuff. He also does very good B&W portraits that
remind me a lot of Jim Marshall.