Advice sought on scanning b/w negatives

Old March 1st 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Default Advice sought on scanning b/w negatives

On 1 Mar 2006 04:13:37 -0800, wrote:

Are you sure they are "awful" ? That is a Max D 4
machine. Even at double density a good Max D 3 should
do for many negatives. BTW, those white backers I looked
at were every bit as white and bright as any
baryta I've seen. Dan

Dan, there's a place for conjecture and
speculation, and a place for actually
trying stuff out. I do both, of course,
but so far from you all I've seen is the
former.

The Epson 4990 is a flatbed/film scanner,
but only a fool with money to burn would
buy it to scan office documents.

It's not that the 4990 can't do the job
(it most certainly can) but that it would
be overkill. What you pay for in the 4990
is the ability to scan large-format
*transparencies,* up to 8x10". It has a
clever and unique lighting system (a moving
CCFL in the cover) for doing just that.

When scanning reflectives, that "moving
lamp in the cover" is left off, and a
white backing is inserted over the TPA
unit. IOW, it reverts to a completely
standard and typical flatbed scanner
configuration.

If one's goal was to scan reflectives
only, a $45 Canon Lide 24 would do the
job nicely.

I don't even pay that much mind to the
resolution or Dmax specs on the Epson.
They're hugely inflated, but for $400,
there's nothing remotely comparable from
any "serious" scanner manufacturer (say,
Scitex or Imacon or Nikon.)

With regard to "backers" and "baryta," I
haven't a clue as to what you're talking
about.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
Old March 2nd 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.equipment.large-format

David Nebenzahl wrote:

So now we have come full circle, folks, and put the
question to rest: So we can stop, right? and get on
to other questions.

Dick's post this thread 2/27; "...place a sheet of white
paper over..." Read that post. He certainly implies that the
method works and works well. He even mentions the or a
software to use.
My take off on this thread is from that post. I still wonder
at the questionable results had by some. So lingers still in my
mind questions of equipment and Exact technique. Dan

Old March 2nd 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.equipment.large-format

wrote

Dick's post this thread 2/27; "...place a sheet of white
paper over..." Read that post. He certainly implies that the
method works and works well. He even mentions the or a
software to use.
My take off on this thread is from that post. I still wonder
at the questionable results had by some. So lingers still in my
mind questions of equipment and Exact technique. Dan

Try it yourself? Never worked for me. Not one bit.

Old March 2nd 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"Two" wrote in message

Try it yourself?

Nah, that would be too sensible and simple.

Much more fun to speculate and question the
results of those who've actually done so.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

Old March 3rd 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom,rec.photo.equipment.large-format

rafe b spake thus:

"Two" wrote in message

Try it yourself?

Nah, that would be too sensible and simple.

Much more fun to speculate and question the
results of those who've actually done so.

That, and to constantly try to convert the world to the One True
Religion (single-tray processing).

--
To the arrogant putzes at NBC:

Do we call the country Italia? Is its capital Roma?
Were previous Olympics held in Moskva, Muenchen or Athine?
Do we call it the "Shroud of Torino"?

No!

So learn to speak English already and call it Turin.

- from someone's blog