DiXactol Tests

Old February 23rd 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default DiXactol Tests

I dub thee Jactol, Superadditive Staining Developer. Arise!
-Lew

Old February 23rd 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

UC,

I'm glad I inspired you to do some homework, but you still don't get
it, but since you've never had any experience with staining developers,
I can understand how this is all academic to you, and easily confused.
At least you've backpeddled from your original statement:

"stain density will not be seen by VC papers"

which is patently false, and gone back to your books to find Thornton
specifically refers to a spectrum of stain color, most of which is seen
as neutral density by VC papers. You're in way over your head her, UC.
Thornton is not the only person who has formulated a staining
developer, and all your childish insults will not close the gap in our
respective understandings of this issue, regardless of the number of
exclamation points you include. You're really embarrasing yourself
here, but what's new?

Jay

Old February 23rd 06, 06:44 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

UC wrote:
The problem is you don't understand how VC paper works.

Read and LEARN!

UC,

I know exactly how VC papers work, the problem is that between the two
of us, I'm the only one who knows how staining developers work. Keep
reading, and maybe it will start to make sense.

Jay

Old February 23rd 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Taken out of context, Thornton's quote is very misleading. Stain
density most definitely will be "seen" by VC papers, and it can be
proven irrefuteably by the test I suggested in my first post. How
stain is "seen" by VC papers is another question, and one far too
complex for you to consider at this point in your education. Keep
reading.

Jay

Old February 23rd 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

UC,

maybe you don't understand the definition of the term "spectrum". Most
of the stain acts exactly like neutral density with VC papers. Try it,
you'll see. I have read the book, by the way, but better still, I
actually formulate and use staining developers, and print on VC papers,
among others. You're wasting your time trying to convince me of
something I know for a fact, through actual experience, to be false. I
suggest you supplement your reading with some color theory. It's all in
there if you know how to apply it. If you read enough, you might also
begin to understand why tanning/staining developers offer benefits
unobtainable from non-staining developers. Let me know if you have any
questions.

Jay

Old February 23rd 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Homework problems:

1) Expose sheets or frames to zones 0, 2, 5 and 8. Develop, stop and fix in a
staining developer.
Remove the silver image with ferricyanide/hypo bleach, rinse, soak in 1% Kodalk
or carbonate to
restore color, wash and dry. Expose a step wedge to VC paper using the
frames/sheets as VC filters
and compare to an unfiltered print.

What is the effect of different stain levels on the print contrast of the step
tablet?

2) Photograph a transilluminated step tablet, process and bleach as above to
obtain a stain image.
Print the stain image using a.) blue or 5+ VC filtration b.) yellow or -1
filtration c.) no filtration.

What happened and why?