Who makes Freestyle noew Arista bw film?

Old October 6th 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Lew

Default Who makes Freestyle noew Arista bw film?

Freestyle is now selling a bw film it claims to have been made in the USA
for them. Does anyone know who actually makes it? I don't know to many mfgrs
are making bw in the US today.

Old October 6th 08, 01:31 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John J

Lew wrote:
Freestyle is now selling a bw film it claims to have been made in the
USA for them. Does anyone know who actually makes it? I don't know to
many mfgrs are making bw in the US today.

Too broad a question

A certain film is claimed to be Kodak

As far as the rest of Freestyle's economy films - PASS because they are
rife with defects and inconsistencies

Crap is crap
Old October 6th 08, 02:54 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"Lew" wrote in message
Freestyle is now selling a bw film it claims to have been
made in the USA for them. Does anyone know who actually
makes it? I don't know to many mfgrs are making bw in the
US today.

AFAIK Kodak is the only company making film in the US.
Kodak has a long standing policy of not selling "custom"
film but may have changed that if they thought that the
market was large enough. One way to tell is to compare the
processing instructions with various Kodak films to see if
they are identical to any.
Arista is a house brand used by Freestyle for all sorts
of stuff. In the past most Arista films were made by Ilford
and some may still be Ilford films. Arista EDU films appear
to be mostly Eastern European stuff.
Kodak and Ilford do not sell sub-standard films to
house brand distributors and both have good quality control
but this may not be true of some of the small manufacturers
who's technology may be long obsolete. There is more than
emulsion making involved: coating technology is very
important and one can have useless film with excellent
emulsions but lousy coating.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Old October 6th 08, 07:04 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

John J wrote:
As far as the rest of Freestyle's economy films - PASS because they are
rife with defects and inconsistencies

Before the industry "crashed" (Agfa went out of business, and Ilford
"reorganized"), Freestyle's cheap film was made by Ilford and was
every bit as good as the Ilford branded stuff.

As part of the reoganization, Ilford stopped selling all of their black
and white products except under their brand Ilford/Harmon.

That film was sold off for a cheaply when it first went out of date
and is now long gone.

If I had a Holga, and could buy that film, I probably would as the defects
would add to the "art", but that's a matter of personal choice. :-)

Geoff.

Old October 6th 08, 08:04 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Charles Hohenstein

In article ,
"Lew" wrote:

Freestyle is now selling a bw film it claims to have been made in the USA
for them. Does anyone know who actually makes it? I don't know to many mfgrs
are making bw in the US today.

I believe that it's called Arista Premium.

--
Charles Hohenstein (to reply, remove Gene Robinson)

"The sad huddle of affluent bedwetters, thumbsuckers,
treehuggers, social*climbers, homophiles, quavery ladies,
and chronic petition signers that*makes up the current
Episcopal Church . . ." -‹Thomas Lipscomb
Old October 6th 08, 11:22 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Lew

The specific film(s) I'm referring to are called 'Arista Premium' in their
35mm iso 400 incarnations made in the USA.
Thanks.

Old October 6th 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John J

Lew wrote:
The specific film(s) I'm referring to are called 'Arista Premium' in
their 35mm iso 400 incarnations made in the USA.
Thanks.

That's Kodak film.
Old October 6th 08, 05:56 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Thor Lancelot Simon

In article ,
Lew wrote:

The specific film(s) I'm referring to are called 'Arista Premium' in their
35mm iso 400 incarnations made in the USA.

Does it have square sprocket holes, or slightly unusual looking ones with
rounded corners?

--
Thor Lancelot Simon
"Even experienced UNIX users occasionally enter rm *.* at the UNIX
Old October 6th 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"Thor Lancelot Simon" wrote in message
Lew wrote:

The specific film(s) I'm referring to are called 'Arista
Premium' in their
35mm iso 400 incarnations made in the USA.

Does it have square sprocket holes, or slightly unusual
looking ones with
rounded corners?

--
Thor Lancelot Simon

My bet is that its regular run Tri-X ISO-400. The
sprocket holes with circular sides are used for motion
picture negative film (Bell & Howell perforations) while the
oblong perfs with rounded corners (Kodak perfs) are used for
35mm still film and motion picture positive film. This
inconsistency traces well back in motion picture history. It
turns out that B&H perfs register slightly more precisely
than Kodak perfs but are more subject to tearing at the
corners under stress as in repeated projection. I don't
think Freestyle is selling spooled motion picture stock (but
could be wrong).
BTW, Plus-X motion picture negative stock is good
stuff. The processing instructions are for automatic
machines using a Kodak developer intended for them but it
works fine in D-76 although it takes a little testing to
find the right times for small tanks.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA