[PICS] Death of a Small Town

Old January 31st 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
The DaveŠ

Default Death of a Small Town

JimKramer wrote:
On Jan 31, 1:47*am, wrote:
On Jan 31, 11:58 am, JimKramer wrote:

These are from this past summer, an entire roll of Delta 3200 in a
small town near dusk.

Death of a Small Town (An Evening With A Roll of Delta
3200)http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/LT/SmallTown1.htm

The good, the bad, the ugly and the absurd...

Some very nice stuff there, Jim, but Dave's right- that background
sucks - what were you thinking? (O:

It also highlights (pun not intended..) the fact that those images
are all a bit short on true blacks - is that an artistic choice? *I
would have thought using the full dynamic range would add to the
feeling, but I may be wrong. *And I guess going to full blacks
might also over- emphasise the noise...

I was thinking that you'd start with the first thumbnail and look at
the frames rather than go back to the thumbnails. :-)

Which is exactly what I did, but my initial reaction when I first
loaded the thumbnail page was "Eww!".
Old January 31st 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
The DaveŠ

JimKramer wrote:

On Jan 31, 6:32 am, Colin_D wrote:
JimKramer wrote:
These are from this past summer, an entire roll of Delta 3200 in a
small town near dusk.

Death of a Small Town (An Evening With A Roll of Delta 3200)
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/LT/SmallTown1.htm

The good, the bad, the ugly and the absurd...

Your pics are interesting from a journalistic perspective (pun
unintentional), but the tonal gradation from that 3200 film is
shockingly bad, as is the grain, clearly visible even on the
smallish images.

If I had done a similar walk around a semi-derelict town and came
back with images like those, I would be deeply disappointed.

What do you think of them yourself? Would you use Delta again?

Colin D.

A few I like very much, most I would throw away, more I would like to
re-shoot with a different format something with tilt/shift would be
nice. Some I wished very much I had a color camera that I was
carrying. There had been a fire and a storm was rolling in, so the
sunset was very colorful, looked more like the sky was on fire.

I have shot Delta 3200 since @ 1600 much cleaner and better tonality,
but still grainy as sand. I achieved the effect that I wanted from
this roll, so I got what I wanted, I just didn't like all of it. :-)

Generally, people will say to show only the best shots, but in this
case I appreciated that you shared the entire roll. There were a few
that I felt could have been straightened or cropped better, but by
seeing them all I felt that I got a good sense of what you were trying
to convey.
Old January 31st 08, 07:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Peter Chant[_2_]

Default [PICS] Death of a Small Town

The DaveŠ wrote:

To me, the grain was the whole point... to create/enhance the feeling
of starkness and bleakness and portray the *feeling* of a dying town.
To bring the viewer in with the sense of what must be a silent
hopelessness for the residents.

In that case tried processing it in rodinal?!

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old January 31st 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Peter Chant[_2_]

The DaveŠ wrote:

Generally, people will say to show only the best shots, but in this
case I appreciated that you shared the entire roll. There were a few
that I felt could have been straightened or cropped better, but by
seeing them all I felt that I got a good sense of what you were trying
to convey.

Interesting view point. I rarely chuck much away and only barely can come
to terms with throwing out blank/blurred slides.

Sometimes the set is more interesting that a couple of the better shots.

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old January 31st 08, 11:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

On Jan 31, 12:45*pm, The DaveŠ wrote:
JimKramer wrote:
On Jan 31, 1:47*am, wrote:
[...]

loaded the thumbnail page was "Eww!".- Hide quoted text -

I added a little grain tell me what you think. :-)
Old January 31st 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

On Jan 31, 5:31*pm, That Rich wrote:
On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 05:06:20 -0800 (PST), JimKramer

wrote:
On Jan 31, 6:32 am, Colin_D wrote:
JimKramer wrote:
[...]

The set has a very documentary look to it. They indeed invoke emotion
while viewing them, tell a sad story. Well done Jim.

Are you familiar with David Plowden. Great stuff. His latest books is
about dying towns, as always, B&W MF stuff.

Cheers,

RPŠ
-
There is a poignant fatality in Plowden but also humor and strength
and story.
* * * * -Stephen Margulies-

Unless you go and photograph your damned engines and get them out of
your system, you will never photograph anything else.
* * * * * -Minor White to David Plowden-- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, I took a look at his site
http://www.davidplowden.com/
Nothing like large format and slower speed films for cleaner
images. ;-)
Old February 1st 08, 12:11 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
The DaveŠ

JimKramer wrote:
Which is exactly what I did, but my initial reaction when I first
loaded the thumbnail page was "Eww!".- Hide quoted text -

I added a little grain tell me what you think. :-)

LOL!!! Ya know, it's actually 'better'. Not good, but better. :-)
Old February 1st 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Jan 30, 8:58*pm, JimKramer wrote:
These are from this past summer, an entire roll of Delta 3200 in a
small town near dusk.

Death of a Small Town (An Evening With A Roll of Delta 3200)http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/LT/SmallTown1.htm

The good, the bad, the ugly and the absurd...

I was really into the grainy film years ago. It gave a dramatic,
bleak, cold effect to the street photography I was doing. It brought
out the emotion and feeling of what the person was enduring.
I agree that a slower film speed gives a cleaner and sharper image,
but in some cases when you need to show the severity of pain a person
is enduring in their life, or in this case the death of a small town,
that grainy look just adds to what you're trying to say.
Some great documentary images there Jim!
Helen
Old February 1st 08, 04:07 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

On Jan 31, 6:51*pm, That Rich wrote:
On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 14:46:53 -0800 (PST), JimKramer

wrote:
Thanks, I took a look at his site
http://www.davidplowden.com/
Nothing like large format and slower speed films for cleaner
images. ;-)

I feel the Delta 3200 worked great for your application.
What ISO setting did you use?
Did you process the negs at home?

RPŠ

This was all shot at 3200, but I whimped out and took it into the
local lab. $3.25 for process only. Given the choice again I would
shoot TMAX 3200, but you never know a film until you try it.

Old February 1st 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

On Jan 31, 9:55*pm, wrote:
On Jan 30, 8:58*pm, JimKramer wrote:

These are from this past summer, an entire roll of Delta 3200 in a
small town near dusk.

Death of a Small Town (An Evening With A Roll of Delta 3200)http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/LT/SmallTown1.htm

The good, the bad, the ugly and the absurd...

I was really into the grainy film years ago. *It gave a dramatic,
bleak, cold effect to the street photography I was doing. *It brought
out the emotion and feeling of what the person was enduring.
I agree that a slower film speed gives a cleaner and sharper image,
but in some cases when you need to show the severity of pain a person
is enduring in their life, or in this case the death of a small town,
that grainy look just adds to what you're trying to say.
Some great documentary images there Jim!
Helen

Thanks Helen,
Jim (Agony) Kramer :-)