TTL EXPOSURE METERING WITH NIKON F10?

Old January 15th 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Default TTL EXPOSURE METERING WITH NIKON F10?

I'm a newbie dummie but I put the right batteries in the NIKON F10 and
when I hit the shutter release no lighted up exposure metering
appeared in the NIKON TTL. Do I need to have film in the camera before
the exposure metering takes effect. They call the FM10 a manual camera
and it mainly is but it has all the unecessary **** on it the Pentax
K-1000 didn't have. You can properly expose manually usuing right film
speed and aperture and shutter speed without exposure metering.

Michael Ragland
Old January 15th 08, 09:32 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Jan 14, 10:24*pm, (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) wrote:
wrote:

I'm a newbie dummie but I put the right batteries in the NIKON F10 and
when I hit the shutter release no lighted up exposure metering
appeared in the NIKON TTL. Do I need to have film in the camera before
the exposure metering takes effect. They call the FM10 a manual camera
and it mainly is but it has all the unecessary **** on it the Pentax
K-1000 didn't have. You can properly expose manually usuing right film
speed and aperture and shutter speed without exposure metering.

I've never seen and FM10, but the standard for Nikon cameras is to
turn on the meter by moving the wind lever out a little bit.

It's called a manual camera because the shutter uses mechanical
timing (hence the "M" in the name), which means except for the
meter it will function without batteries.

A similar camera with an electronicly timed shutter and
"f stop" priority autoexposure was sold as the FE10, and
with other features and an OM lens mount as the OM-30.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel *N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838

It doesn't appear to have exposure metering; I did what I was supposed
to. I took good pictures
with my K-1000 without exposure metering; it was trial and error.
Purchased a Nikon E-series
50mm lense; apparently a litttle shorter in focal length a starter.
Better than the ZOOM I hope.
The NIKON F10 has a self timer 10 seconds which is great if it works
because my shutter
release nozzle won't depress. Also, it has a tiny rewind film button
on the bottom yet a rewind film
crank on the top! I think I will use the latter. Will take me a while
to get the hang of it and
start remembering what I learned in photography class.

Michael Ragland
Old January 15th 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Draco

On Jan 14, 10:09*pm, wrote:
I'm a newbie dummie but I put the right batteries in the NIKON F10 and
when I hit the shutter release no lighted up exposure metering
appeared in the NIKON TTL. Do I need to have film in the camera before
the exposure metering takes effect. They call the FM10 a manual camera
and it mainly is but it has all the unecessary **** on it the Pentax
K-1000 didn't have. You can properly expose manually usuing right film
speed and aperture and shutter speed without exposure metering.

Michael Ragland

Michael,
You might be a newbie, but I wouldn't say you are a dummy. Asking
questions is never dumb.
The FM-10 is a all manual camera. It is a basic SLR system for those
who are learning or who don't want all the bells and whistles on their
camera. It does have TTL metering and it reads in the view finder as -
(under exposure) o(correct exposure) or +(over exposure). The two lr44
or ms-76's or the 1/3n battery is there only to power the meter. When
you have the film wind lever open and away from the body and the
shutter release pushed half way to release the LED's in the viewfinder
should light up. The by changing the shutter speed or the aperture
ring on the lens you should see the LED's change.
Start with your ISO/ASA set at 400 and your shutter set at 200 and
the lens at f/16. Now change one and see what happens.

As for the little button on the bottom of the camera, it is there to
unlock the transport mech that winds the film in one direction. So you
can re-wind the film back into the canister by using the re-iwnd lever
on the knob. As for your shutter release nozzel, I'm not sure as to
what you mean. If I remember correctly there is a lock for the shutter
release button to keep it from engaging.
This camera is the best way of learning photography, when you are
learning in a class.

Hope this has answered some questions for you.

Draco
Old January 16th 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bob Kirkpatrick

I put the right batteries in the NIKON F10 and
when I hit the shutter release no lighted up exposure metering
appeared in the NIKON TTL.

If the FM10 works like most manual Nikons, you have to advance the
film counter to "1" before the meter starts working. You should be
able to do this without film in the camera by alternately using the
film advance and pressing the shutter for 3 or 4 cycles. If you can't
then there is probably something wrong with the camera. Try opening
and closing the back to reset the film counter first.

As pointed out above, you may need to have the film advance lever
pulled away from the body to enable the meter, and the button on the
bottom is a film rewind release than you must press before using the
rewind crank to actually rewind the film.

You can probably find an FM10 user's manual with a Yahoo/Google search.