[PICS] Death of a Small Town

Old January 31st 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

Default [PICS] Death of a Small Town

These are from this past summer, an entire roll of Delta 3200 in a
small town near dusk.

Death of a Small Town (An Evening With A Roll of Delta 3200)
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/LT/SmallTown1.htm

The good, the bad, the ugly and the absurd...
Old January 31st 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
The DaveŠ

JimKramer wrote:

These are from this past summer, an entire roll of Delta 3200 in a
small town near dusk.

Death of a Small Town (An Evening With A Roll of Delta 3200)
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/LT/SmallTown1.htm

The good, the bad, the ugly and the absurd...

Interesting. The extra grain of the 3200 enhances the feeling of
bleakness. How 'small' of a town is it?

Gotta lose that background on the thumbnail page, though.
Old January 31st 08, 12:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

Default Death of a Small Town

On Jan 30, 11:35*pm, The DaveŠ wrote:
JimKramer wrote:

These are from this past summer, an entire roll of Delta 3200 in a
small town near dusk.

Death of a Small Town (An Evening With A Roll of Delta 3200)
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/LT/SmallTown1.htm

The good, the bad, the ugly and the absurd...

Interesting. *The extra grain of the 3200 enhances the feeling of
bleakness. *How 'small' of a town is it?

Gotta lose that background on the thumbnail page, though.

Just under 6000 in the 2000 census.

Old February 2nd 08, 03:03 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pat[_6_]

JimKramer wrote:

These are from this past summer, an entire roll of Delta 3200 in a
small town near dusk.

Death of a Small Town (An Evening With A Roll of Delta 3200)
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/LT/SmallTown1.htm

The good, the bad, the ugly and the absurd...

Interesting. *The extra grain of the 3200 enhances the feeling of
bleakness. *How 'small' of a town is it?

Gotta lose that background on the thumbnail page, though.

Just under 6000 in the 2000 census.

Geez, how long has 6000 been considered a small town. I live a city
that's smaller than that.

Old February 2nd 08, 08:22 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Colin_D[_2_]

JimKramer wrote:
These are from this past summer, an entire roll of Delta 3200 in a
small town near dusk.
Death of a Small Town (An Evening With A Roll of Delta 3200)
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/LT/SmallTown1.htm
The good, the bad, the ugly and the absurd...
Interesting. The extra grain of the 3200 enhances the feeling of
bleakness. How 'small' of a town is it?
Gotta lose that background on the thumbnail page, though.

Just under 6000 in the 2000 census.

Geez, how long has 6000 been considered a small town. I live a city
that's smaller than that.

That's a surprise. Even here in little New Zealand, to become a city
requires either a cathedral in town or a population of minimum 20,000.

Where do you live then?

Colin D

Old February 2nd 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

JimKramer wrote:
These are from this past summer, an entire roll of Delta 3200 in a
small town near dusk.
Death of a Small Town (An Evening With A Roll of Delta 3200)
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/LT/SmallTown1.htm
The good, the bad, the ugly and the absurd...
Interesting. The extra grain of the 3200 enhances the feeling of
bleakness. How 'small' of a town is it?
Gotta lose that background on the thumbnail page, though.
Just under 6000 in the 2000 census.

Geez, how long has 6000 been considered a small town. I live a city
that's smaller than that.

That's a surprise. Even here in little New Zealand, to become a city
requires either a cathedral in town or a population of minimum 20,000.

Where do you live then?

I live in a small "city" in N. Ca., ca. 12,000. It's a "city"
officially, but only by designation/charter. It's a town by every other
definition.

I've visited places here in the US with populations well in excess of
20,000, but are towns by most definitions. There has to be some "there"
there. I rather like the NZ concept!

--
John McWilliams

Old February 3rd 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pat[_6_]

JimKramer wrote:
These are from this past summer, an entire roll of Delta 3200 in a
small town near dusk.
Death of a Small Town (An Evening With A Roll of Delta 3200)
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/LT/SmallTown1.htm
The good, the bad, the ugly and the absurd...
Interesting. *The extra grain of the 3200 enhances the feeling of
bleakness. *How 'small' of a town is it?
Gotta lose that background on the thumbnail page, though.
Just under 6000 in the 2000 census.

Geez, how long has 6000 been considered a small town. *I live a city
that's smaller than that.

That's a surprise. *Even here in little New Zealand, to become a city
requires either a cathedral in town or a population of minimum 20,000.

Where do you live then?

Colin D

In New York, you live in either a city or a town. The difference is
just the form of government. The there are also villages, which are
within towns but can also cross town and/or county borders.

I live in the western part of NY -- closer to Cleveland or Toronto
(Canada) than New York City.
Old February 3rd 08, 12:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

On Jan 30, 11:35 pm, The Dave(c) wrote:

JimKramer wrote:

These are from this past summer, an entire roll of Delta 3200 in a
small town near dusk.

Death of a Small Town (An Evening With A Roll of Delta 3200)
http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/LT/SmallTown1.htm

The good, the bad, the ugly and the absurd...

Interesting. The extra grain of the 3200 enhances the feeling of
bleakness. How 'small' of a town is it?

Gotta lose that background on the thumbnail page, though.

Just under 6000 in the 2000 census.

Geez, how long has 6000 been considered a small town. I live a city
that's smaller than that.- Hide quoted text -

The town I grew up in had population of 23,000 when I left. I always
thought of it as a small town.

There seems, after a quick web search, much disagreement on the
meaning of town. Legal definitions vary considerably from place to
place let alone from country to country. The only consistency is that
a town is larger than a village and a city is larger than a town. Not
much real meaning there...

Like everything else in this life; size is subjective.

Old February 4th 08, 12:55 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

JimKramer wrote:

[...]

Yes, and in many places the size of the particular town in which you happen
to live doesn't make much difference. When I lived down the San Francisco
Peninsula, there was continuous city from South San Jose, all the way to the
Golden Gate Bridge.....Over 50 miles of nothing but town, even though there
were many separate townships along the way. The exact size of any one of
them didn't matter......Living anywhere along that route was just like
living in the middle of a huge city.

Old January 31st 08, 06:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Jan 31, 11:58 am, JimKramer wrote:
These are from this past summer, an entire roll of Delta 3200 in a
small town near dusk.

Death of a Small Town (An Evening With A Roll of Delta 3200)http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/LT/SmallTown1.htm

The good, the bad, the ugly and the absurd...

Some very nice stuff there, Jim, but Dave's right- that background
sucks - what were you thinking? (O:

It also highlights (pun not intended..) the fact that those images are
all a bit short on true blacks - is that an artistic choice? I would
have thought using the full dynamic range would add to the feeling,
but I may be wrong. And I guess going to full blacks might also over-
emphasise the noise...