Nikon Telephot for D70?

Old January 12th 05, 04:06 AM
Carlos

Default Nikon Telephot for D70?

I have a friend who may be interested in selling his 70-300 lens. I have
seen photos from it, (not Bad). I think he paid under $150.00 for it.

Carlos
"hotchkisstrio" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm looking for recommendations for an affordable telephoto or telephoto
zoom for Nikon. I would like a good quality lens, but it does not have to
be of the quality of a 80-200 VR f2.8.

Just something I can acquire for $500 or less and will give me good
snapshots of my kid playing pee-wee soccer from the other side of the
field.
And maybe an occasional picture of a bird.

I have a Nikon D70 with the 18-70 AFS-IF kit lens.

suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul H.

Old January 12th 05, 04:04 PM
Larry R Harrison Jr

Personally, I don't see why everyone thinks the ED version is head &
shoulders above the "G" version. They sure look a lot alike to me in
construction etc; the only real difference seems to be that the D is more
retro, able to be used with older bodies. That one single ED element
wouldn't seem to matter so much.

LRH

Old January 12th 05, 04:24 PM
Tom Scales

Read every test.
Shoot them side by side.

You'll see

Old January 13th 05, 09:01 AM
Ken Tough

Tom Scales wrote:

"Larry R Harrison Jr" wrote
Personally, I don't see why everyone thinks the ED version is head &
shoulders above the "G" version. They sure look a lot alike to me in
construction etc; the only real difference seems to be that the D is more
retro, able to be used with older bodies. That one single ED element
wouldn't seem to matter so much.

Read every test.
Shoot them side by side.

The tests I've read say what Larry said, and say optically there
isn't much diffence.

The 'review of reviews' even pegs the G very slightly higher than
the D/ED, but both are 'average' (around 2.5-3 of 5). The MTF rank
for the ED is 2.4, but the G is unrated.

--
Ken Tough
Old January 12th 05, 06:55 PM
Patrick Markovic

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:52:30 -0800, hotchkisstrio wrote:

Hello,

I'm looking for recommendations for an affordable telephoto or telephoto
zoom for Nikon. I would like a good quality lens, but it does not have to
be of the quality of a 80-200 VR f2.8.

Just something I can acquire for $500 or less and will give me good
snapshots of my kid playing pee-wee soccer from the other side of the field.
And maybe an occasional picture of a bird.

I have a Nikon D70 with the 18-70 AFS-IF kit lens.

suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul H.

You might look at the Tamron AF Aspherical XR Di which is a 28-300 zoom.
The list price is $399 and they had a $20 rebate, not sure how long that is
available. I just acquired one and its great.
Old January 12th 05, 10:52 AM
Tom Scales

Then that's probably the G, not D lens. If you're going for a 70-300, spend
the extra money for the D. I love mine.

Tom

Old January 12th 05, 08:32 PM
paul

hotchkisstrio wrote:

Hello,

I'm looking for recommendations for an affordable telephoto or telephoto
zoom for Nikon. I would like a good quality lens, but it does not have to
be of the quality of a 80-200 VR f2.8.

Just something I can acquire for $500 or less and will give me good
snapshots of my kid playing pee-wee soccer from the other side of the field.
And maybe an occasional picture of a bird.

I have a Nikon D70 with the 18-70 AFS-IF kit lens.

I got the 28-200 f/3.5-5.6 & I guess it's not the sharpest but it's
quite small & light & only about $350 new. You can get the non-VR 2.8 in
about 80-200 used for cheap with the same glass as the VR but it's big &
heavy. Here's my notes on this question:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php...sc/photography with links to
reviews that are pretty understandable.