Where to sign framed photos

Old August 28th 05, 02:59 AM
Sheldon

Default Where to sign framed photos

Where is the best place to sign framed photos? I would think the place
would be on the matte, but recently I saw a photo that was mounted to a
board, and the matte was made larger than the mounted photo. The photo was
signed inside the matte on the mounting board (between the photo and the
matte).

Also, is it unprofessional to just leave a framed photo unsigned, and should
every framed photo for sale be signed?

Thanks.

Sheldon

Old August 28th 05, 04:14 AM
Toa

Where is the best place to sign framed photos? I would think the place
would be on the matte, but recently I saw a photo that was mounted to a
board, and the matte was made larger than the mounted photo. The photo
was Sheldon

I would suggest if you're going to have a signed photo it should be just
that. Signing the matte just results in a signed matte

Toa

Old August 28th 05, 04:39 PM
David Littlewood

In article , Toa
writes
Where is the best place to sign framed photos? I would think the place
would be on the matte, but recently I saw a photo that was mounted to a
board, and the matte was made larger than the mounted photo. The photo
was Sheldon

I would suggest if you're going to have a signed photo it should be just
that. Signing the matte just results in a signed matte

Toa

My personal view is that signing pictures on the visible area is a gross
affectation*, and one which seriously detracts from its aesthetic
appeal. If you wish to sign a photo, do it on the back, gently, in
pencil.

Anyone who thinks all photos should be signed on the front should try
doing it with an Ilfochrome.

David

*Of course, if you really are famous, you can get away with this. But
then, you probably wouldn't be asking our opinion anyway!
--
David Littlewood
Old August 28th 05, 05:47 PM
Sheldon

"Toa" wrote in message
Where is the best place to sign framed photos? I would think the place
would be on the matte, but recently I saw a photo that was mounted to a
board, and the matte was made larger than the mounted photo. The photo
was Sheldon

I would suggest if you're going to have a signed photo it should be just
that. Signing the matte just results in a signed matte

Toa

I don't think I've ever seen a photo that was signed directly on the photo,
unless it was a huge mural. You are right, however. Anybody could swap the
matte with another photo.

Sheldon

Old August 28th 05, 05:49 PM
Sheldon

"David Littlewood" wrote in message
In article , Toa writes
Where is the best place to sign framed photos? I would think the place
would be on the matte, but recently I saw a photo that was mounted to a
board, and the matte was made larger than the mounted photo. The photo
was Sheldon

I would suggest if you're going to have a signed photo it should be just
that. Signing the matte just results in a signed matte

Toa

My personal view is that signing pictures on the visible area is a gross
affectation*, and one which seriously detracts from its aesthetic appeal.
If you wish to sign a photo, do it on the back, gently, in pencil.

Anyone who thinks all photos should be signed on the front should try
doing it with an Ilfochrome.

David

Good point, but many framers "mount" the photo before framing it.

Sheldon

*Of course, if you really are famous, you can get away with this. But
then, you probably wouldn't be asking our opinion anyway!

Ain't there -- yet!

Speaking of which, where did Ansel Adams sign his work, or did he?

Sheldon

Old August 28th 05, 07:24 PM
Toa

You are right, however. Anybody could swap the matte with another photo.
Sheldon

Yup. Imagine owning a signed, mounted World Series baseball and it being
signed on the mount

toa

Old August 28th 05, 09:24 PM
Jer

Sheldon wrote:
Where is the best place to sign framed photos? I would think the place
would be on the matte, but recently I saw a photo that was mounted to a
board, and the matte was made larger than the mounted photo. The photo was
signed inside the matte on the mounting board (between the photo and the
matte).

Also, is it unprofessional to just leave a framed photo unsigned, and should
every framed photo for sale be signed?

Thanks.

Sheldon

If I was famous enough to have people clamouring for my autograph, I'd
sign the damn picture wherever they wanted me to sign it. Hell, for
enough money I'd sign their pink ass.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Old August 29th 05, 12:46 AM
Bob Hatch

"Sheldon" wrote in message

I don't think I've ever seen a photo that was signed directly on the
photo, unless it was a huge mural. You are right, however. Anybody
could swap the matte with another photo.

Sheldon

Wow, have you ever led a sheltered life. Most pro's I know sign the print on
the lower, right corner. Some use the lower left. Gold or silver ink. When I
had my business, I signed "all" family portrait prints 5x7 or larger. Senior
portraits, all 11x14 or larger. Most of the landscape guys I'm familiar with
sign all prints, on the front.
--
"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I have stayed alive."

Old August 29th 05, 03:09 AM
Stefan Patric

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 10:49:57 -0600, Sheldon wrote:

*Of course, if you really are famous, you can get away with this. But
then, you probably wouldn't be asking our opinion anyway!

Ain't there -- yet!

Speaking of which, where did Ansel Adams sign his work, or did he?

On his matted work, yes, he did sign them. A little "AA" in pencil under
the lower right corner of the mounted photo on the matte board (not on the
over matte). On the back of the matte was usually a label with additional
info on the photograph and any personal comments or messages.

This is the way I've always signed fine art, matted photographs. I never
sign unmounted photos. I ain't no Hollywood star.

Stefan
Old August 29th 05, 01:56 PM
Beach Bum

"Toa" wrote in message
Where is the best place to sign framed photos? I would think the place
would be on the matte, but recently I saw a photo that was mounted to a
board, and the matte was made larger than the mounted photo. The photo
was Sheldon

I would suggest if you're going to have a signed photo it should be just
that. Signing the matte just results in a signed matte

Toa

Ditto - the mat isn't likely to remain with the photo for the duration of
the photo's existence.

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions