Camera Security

Old July 3rd 13, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Camera Security

On 2013.07.03 09:32 , Dave S wrote:
Reading the thread "Looking for DSLR selection recommendation" shows
back-to-back reports of cameras being stolen.

I just returned from a trip to southern Europe. In Rome's central train
station we had an uncomfortable experience. We arrived at our platform
with our luggage about 9:30 AM for an 11:30 departure, and were the only
people on our platform. Two young men ran across tracks to our platform,
gesturing for me to accompany them into the tunnel to see the train
schedule. I, of course, did not follow, but my wife was concerned that
it was my DSLR camera which attracted the attention. During this 3-week
trip, my camera was constantly ready on a Blackrapid Sport harness.

My question is, do you hide your camera in "risky" situations?
If so, how do you do that? I don't bring my camera bag on air trips,
where I only carry my camera + walking-around lens because it's meant to
hold camera + three lenses, and would still advertise the presence of an
expensive camera.

There are steel mesh bags that go outside your camera bag. In turn, the
strap has a steel cable. Neither can be cut easily.

If you're doing any sort of photography it's hard to hide the equipment.
Best defense is really in numbers.

There used to be the odd sods who would say to mask the name of the
equipment or to even false-flag it. (Your Nikon becomes a Yashica) to
reduce theft to demand.

Asia is famous for scooter grabs: two on a motorbike drive by, slow
down, slash the strap and grab the bag. Any bag.

Rome is nuts. I saw a girl/guy team lift a wallet out of a ladies purse
(turning a corner, light bump, girl gets the attention "I'm so
sorry....", guy lifts the wallet, they walk into the alley and then into
the next street. I gestured to the lady and she checked. I bolted
after the two of them and forced (without touching) them to give the
wallet back. The whole time the guy is flinging insults at me. Worse
part is the lady believes an American helped her.).

--
"A Canadian is someone who knows how to have sex in a canoe."
-Pierre Berton
Old July 4th 13, 01:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
J. Clarke[_2_]

In article ,
says...

[...]

The trouble with the metal straps is that things like scooter grabs can
be turned from loss of property into serious injury. With luck it will
be injury of the grabber who gets pulled off the scooter and into the
path of an oncoming lorry. Personally my luck runs more in the
direction of me being pulled into the path of the lorry.

Old July 4th 13, 02:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2013.07.03 20:38 , J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

The person on the scooter is in a much more unstable position than a
person walking or standing. OTOH the crafty buggers probably feel the
resistance and abandon within a shake of a lamb's tail.

Old July 4th 13, 03:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
J. Clarke[_2_]

In article ,
says...

[...]

The scooter's 2 up and gyrostabilized--you've got anywhere from 400-1000
pounds of mass going for you depending on the value of "scooter".

Old July 4th 13, 07:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
.. .
The person on the scooter is in a much more unstable position than a
person walking or standing. OTOH the crafty buggers probably feel the
resistance and abandon within a shake of a lamb's tail.

The scooter's 2 up and gyrostabilized--you've got anywhere from 400-1000
pounds of mass going for you depending on the value of "scooter".

Sure it is, but the passenger grabbing the bag is not attached to the
scooter except by a small amount of friction of his bum on vinyl seat and
feet on small rubber pegs. If his hands are firmly attached to the grab
rail, he cannot steal your bag/camera.

Trevor.

Old July 5th 13, 05:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-07-05 06:54:02 -0700, "J. Clarke" said:

In article , says...

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
says...
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
.. .
The person on the scooter is in a much more unstable position than a
person walking or standing. OTOH the crafty buggers probably feel the
resistance and abandon within a shake of a lamb's tail.

The scooter's 2 up and gyrostabilized--you've got anywhere from
400-1000
pounds of mass going for you depending on the value of "scooter".

Sure it is, but the passenger grabbing the bag is not attached to the
scooter except by a small amount of friction of his bum on vinyl seat and
feet on small rubber pegs.

Do go down to your neighborhood Suzuki dealer and examine a Burgman.
The grabber is attached to the scooter by feet on floorboards, not pegs,
a backrest, and an arm around the driver, who is similarly attached and
also has both hands on the bars.

Sorry, I didn't realise they all rode Burgmans.

They don't, but many other scooters have similar features.

Don't assume that "scooter" means "50 year old Vespa".

Don't assume that Vespas are all 50 years old. Since Italy was given as
the likely location of the ride-by snatch'n'grab the vehicles are more
than likely considerably more recent Vespa & Lambretta models. The only
difference to day is, Lambretta is owned by an Indian consortium, but
still manufactured in Italy.
http://www.vespausa.com/
http://www.lambrettausa.com/default.aspx

In any case you're clearly arguing for the sake of argument.

Savageduck

Old July 6th 13, 04:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
J. Clarke[_2_]

says...

On 2013-07-05 06:54:02 -0700, "J. Clarke" said:

In article ,
says...

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
says...
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I don't. But the 50 year old ones that whatsisface seem to be equating
with "scooter" are.