Why all the noise about noise?

Old October 5th 09, 05:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

Default Why all the noise about noise?

In article , David J
Taylor
wrote:

Fortunately, photography from the windows is still free! Helps to have a
camera with an infinity preset focus, though. Just sometimes I end up
using Paint Shop Pro to increase the contrast in those distant
landscapes....

i used to take pics out the window and the best shots were from lower
altitudes, not cruise at 35k. unfortunately, the best opportunities are
usually just after takeoff and before landing when electronic devices
are not allowed.

score one for a mechanical film camera, although at this point i doubt
the flight attendant would care that the camera is 100% mechanical.
Old October 6th 09, 06:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Wilba wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:
Chris Malcolm wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:

Putting it mildly, I would be disappointed to find that I had to buy
add-ons to provide functionality missing from a $600 program.

To avoid serious disappointment then I suggest you be very careful not
to look too hard :-)

With all the hype about Photoshop, which I regard as an expensive program,
I expect that it would include at least something as basic as digital
camera noise reduction, considering that the much lower cost, and now
obsolete, Paint Shop Pro 10 does. I'm taking Alan's word that it does
not.

FFS you guys, stop being so gullible. :- ) There are four noise reduction
tools installed with Photoshop CS4 under the Filter | Noise menu, and one
Add Noise tool.

I think the issue is how good they are, not merely whether they
exist. There has been great progress recently in noise reduction
methods. Good noise reduction is streets ahead of poor noise
reduction, and paying a lot of money for an editor is no guarantee
that you get *good* noise reduction included. Same for any other area
in which there's been a lot of recent progress.

--
Chris Malcolm
Old October 7th 09, 11:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Sheehy

"David J Taylor"
wrote in
. com:

What annoys me more are those sealed, clear-plastic packages for
things on sale from customer self selection racks - typically in
airports - and even for SD cards. You know, the ones where you need
scissors or a knife to open the package, but there's no way you are
allowed to bring scissors or knives through security. So you end up
struggling to unseal the package with your teeth or worse!

Sharpen a mailbox key, and make a little cover for it so it doesn't rip
your pocket or hand.
Old October 8th 09, 08:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_11_]

"John Sheehy" wrote in message
"David J Taylor"
wrote in
. com:

What annoys me more are those sealed, clear-plastic packages for
things on sale from customer self selection racks - typically in
airports - and even for SD cards. You know, the ones where you need
scissors or a knife to open the package, but there's no way you are
allowed to bring scissors or knives through security. So you end up
struggling to unseal the package with your teeth or worse!

Sharpen a mailbox key, and make a little cover for it so it doesn't rip
your pocket or hand.

Thanks for the suggestion, John, but in the UK we aren't allowed any
"sharp objects". G

David

Old October 8th 09, 04:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Troll Amplifier wrote:
On 3 Oct 2009 09:42:26 GMT, Chris Malcolm wrote:

David J Taylor wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote in message
[]
Good one. Are you happy? No it doesn't. You have to buy 3rd party
s/w. Maybe Adobe are being bribed to keep it out?

I tried one of the noise reduction programs and found it to make things
too smooth (in plain areas) and wipe out fine detail in other areas.
Gave up on it. (Noise Ninja I believe...).

Yes, I'm happy with Paint Shop Pro 10, and I'm very surprised that the
very expensive Adobe program does not offer such a noise-reduction
facility. PSP's NR seems to work well.

As I said, I find it best to compare with and without NR. Sometimes it's
best to leave the grain for a "newsy" effect, other times the noise,
particularly if it's coloured noise, can be slightly objectionable.

Since the detail is more in the luminance, and chromatic noise is
usually much more objectionable, a good noise reduction tool should
have the option of reducing chromatic noise and luminance noise to
different degrees.

"... should have ..."?!?!?

They all do.

Which just goes to show how few editors you're familiar with. Why
don't you surprise everyone by now and then giving an informed opinion
on something?

--
Chris Malcolm