Another one bites the dust

Old January 1st 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
____

Default Another one bites the dust

In article m,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

I was going to say, well, duh! Of course any business requires things
like marketing, sufficient capitalization, etc. More basic than
that--and I'm surprised you didn't mention *that* obvious fact--it needs
a market of some kind.

But assuming one puts in the time, effort and money, there still may be
room for a viable business doing wet color printing, particularly since
it will now be a "boutique" commodity, hard to find, not popular, but
sought-after by a few who are willing to pay good money for good work.

I think it's obvious some people will pay for these services and pay
well. Getting that business, is not so simple as advertising in the
Yellow pages. For twelve years I actually have done that, with a tag
line that I do black and white printing in addition to other
Photographic services. In that time I have had no inquiries regarding
printing. None.

I have done this type of work for a few Photographers, it has not been
enough to support me doing it exclusively. If one was to advertise in
say Shutterbug and other photo magazines you might draw a wider audience
of those more willing to spend the money-with out a reputation it
probably will be a slow start. Of course there are other ways if one
wants to exclusively pursue this type of business.

So I do believe it can be done. Its just trade advertising is like 600
an issue versus say the 1,200 my yellow pages ad runs per year. Without
trade ads you'll get lots of inquiries, so someone has to answer the
phone or you'll need a website or both. You can actually have too many
inquiries to appear professional if you've no way to respond to all or
are working a job as well as this venture, then word gets around your
not serious. The next thing is a certain element of "Us" photographers
are great big "D-heads" the most anal people you will ever meet and the
most critical, there are a lot of photographers that will do everything
possible not to pay you, your "fair" price. Or will pump you for
information as to how you did what what you did.

Advertising "duh" is the single biggest loss you take as a business,
short of a fire or other tragedy "imop".

Since word of mouth, is by many accounts a better course, perhaps
involvement at a local camera club, arts organization etc,..can give the
start one needs,....or maybe just a sign on the back of your SUV

The last thing is time value, if I take a special two hours to make an
8x10 -meaning chemical mixing etc. I have to at least charge what I
could make working for my cheapest paying client, or lets say the
average employer. Say I am willing to work for what my current employer
is willing to pay me for that 2 hours of time. In my case your minimum
cost is going to be 32.00 plus mailing or shipping that 8x10-not
counting a percent for all business related expenses tied to getting
your business-I also have to make enough from my business model to pay
rent, and have a life. Since initially this is using available free time
to do the work, I have to question: am I the type of person that likes
spending my free time in the darkroom to do other peoples darkroom work?
I also have to ask can I be motivated when I can make a lot more
shooting images and actually seeing some daylight.

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old January 2nd 08, 01:40 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 1/1/2008 3:46 PM ____ spake thus:

So I do believe it can be done. Its just trade advertising is like 600
an issue versus say the 1,200 my yellow pages ad runs per year. Without
trade ads you'll get lots of inquiries, so someone has to answer the
phone or you'll need a website or both. You can actually have too many
inquiries to appear professional if you've no way to respond to all or
are working a job as well as this venture, then word gets around your
not serious. The next thing is a certain element of "Us" photographers
are great big "D-heads" the most anal people you will ever meet and the
most critical, there are a lot of photographers that will do everything
possible not to pay you, your "fair" price. Or will pump you for
information as to how you did what what you did.

Well, fortunately for us, none of us here will have to worry our little
heads over whether to take our business to you, as it's plain you're
much too wracked with doubt to ever get such an enterprise off the ground.
Old January 2nd 08, 02:25 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
____

In article m,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Well, fortunately for us, none of us here will have to worry our little
heads over whether to take our business to you, as it's plain you're
much too wracked with doubt to ever get such an enterprise off the ground.

I have better things to do with my time. Included in that is an adios.
As in my last post. Good luck to the nice people here I wish you well
for 2008.

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.

Dust! jmc Digital Photography 12 July 27th 07 11:35 AM
Another one bites the dust. Kinon O'Cann 35mm Photo Equipment 1 August 21st 06 03:19 PM
Another one Bites the Dust G- Blank Large Format Photography Equipment 15 January 22nd 06 12:29 AM
Another one Bites the dust. G- Blank In The Darkroom 5 January 21st 06 06:04 PM
D70 & Dust Little Green Eyed Dragon Digital SLR Cameras 5 August 12th 05 06:47 PM