Still using medium format

Old August 22nd 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
[email protected]

Default Still using medium format

In . com, on 08/21/06
at 11:01 AM, "One4All" said:

[snip...]

A 6x7 projector, even if one exists, would be a rare bird (& very expensive).

For the record, I have one such with a Linhof medallion, made by Leitz.
Even used, it was fairly expensive. But oh -- it's like watching
Cinerama. Strictly manual in operation; no automatic anything.
-
les clark / edgewater, nj / usa

Old August 22nd 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
no_name

sr3 wrote:

I took y'all up on some of the suggestions here...

From Stone Mountain State Park, take US 21 N to the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Take the Parkway south & at the first overlook looking east, on a clear
day, you'll be able to see both Stone Mountain, AND Pilot Mountain north
of Winston Salem.

I stopped at this overlook and the day wasn't anywhere close to clear.
Anything beyond Stone Mountain was covered in haze but, that's typical
weather. Clear weather would have been unusual!
Still loved the views though.

Used to get a lot more clear days up there. Most of that haze is
industrial smog blowing out of the midwest across Kentucky & western
Virginia and into the Blue Ridge.

At that, it had been getting better under the EPA, until the last few years.

This gave me the bright idea of driving down the Blue Ridge Parkway
expecting to find an overlook on the western side of the mountains in
hopes of getting a nice sunset photo. We drove from the Stone Mountain
overlook to the Black Mountains overlook 20 miles north of Asheville (a
five hour drive including a dinner stop on the side of the road) and
learned something interesting - almost every single overlook on that
section of the parkway looks EAST! The sun set before we could find
anything facing west.

Probably the best place in the area for that is right after you cross
over US 421 between Wilksboro and Boone. Somewhere about the second
overlook (which looks east of course - north of mile 280) there's a
trail on the other side of the road that goes up to the top of a nice
high hill with a wide meadow at the top. I've done sunsets from the top
of that hill.

On top of Mt Mitchell is also a good place for photographing sunsets,
although I think they've removed the old tower now. The existing 30'
tower is to be replaced by one that's half as tall, but much wider.

I don't know when the new observation platform is scheduled to open, but
it's supposed to be completely ADA compliant. NC State Parks had this
image accompanying the press release.

http://ils.unc.edu/parkproject//park..._platform2.jpg

Another good one is to jump off the Parkway at Asheville & go west on
I-40; south on US 19-23 (??) to Waynesville. Stay on US 23 and get back
on the Parkway headed west. Waterrock Knob and Soco Gap should both give
good western views for sunset. Waterrock Knob is about 10 miles from US
23. Soco Gap gives about 220 degrees of southerly view from ENE to WNW.

Or if you stay on the Parkway continue south of Asheville to about Mile
425 to Devil's Courthouse. Climb all the way up to the overlook (about
1500' elevation change IIRC) and you'll have nearly a 360 degree panorama.

South of the Parkway once you've passed Asheville is real NC Waterfall
country. Check out Dupont State Park.

--

These are my views. If you've got a problem with it, you can blame it on
me, but this is what I think. I am not the official spokes-person for

John
Old August 23rd 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Bandicoot

"One4All" wrote in message
ups.com...

Andrew Price wrote:
On 20 Aug 2006 15:47:49 -0700, "One4All" wrote:

Until you see a projected 6x6cm image, you ain't seen nothing, provided
all elements of good photography are in the image, especially when
taken with a Zeiss lens in a Rolleiflex or Hasselblad.

Someone else here (regretfully I cannot remember his name) once said
that a projected 35mm slide was, well, just like a slide, whereas a
6x6 was like looking at the scene through a window.

Finding an (affordable) projector was one of the reasons why I finally
didn't buy a Mamiya 6x7 format rangefinder.

A 6x7 projector, even if one exists, would be a rare bird (& very
expensive).

Why are they so expensive? I know they are, I'm just wondering. Years ago,
working in the jungle with someone who had a few slides but no way to show
them, a couple of us knocked up a home-made 35mm slide projector that worked
'adequately' - so I know the technology and the tolerances are not that hard
to deal with.

For MF slides everything needs to be bigger, the light brighter, and the
lens to have the coverage. OK, that pushes the price up, but if I was
making a homemade one I'd look at a studio light (a Redhead would probably
do as a starting point) for the light source, and an enlarger to get a nice
big condensor lens. Then a bit of sheet metal working for the slide gate
and changer. The projector lens would probably be an enlarger lens or
process lens - enlarger lens would be faster, so brighter, and using one
from a larger format than the slide would give a more suitable FL (and the
coverage to do some keystone correction.)

Now, if all that is 'reasonable' - why is it so expensive to do it
commercially? Is it just the limited demand, or have I overlooked something
vital?

Peter

Old August 23rd 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Scott

Thanks for a great post, John. I'm tucking it into my Gazetteer for the
next road trip!

Scott

Old August 23rd 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Michael Weinstein

On 2006-08-21 14:01:10 -0400, "One4All" said:

......A 6x7 projector, even if one exists, would be a rare bird (& very
expensive). .......

et
"Even if one exists??" Of course one exists. The Cabin. But very
expensive. But also available.

Michael | "He's dead, Jim."..

Old August 28th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
One4All

A Cabin projector is now on eBay. Current bid: $0.99.

Old August 29th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Michael Weinstein

On 2006-08-21 14:01:10 -0400, "One4All" said:

......A 6x7 projector, even if one exists, would be a rare bird (& very
expensive). .......

et
"Even if one exists??" Of course one exists. The Cabin. But very
expensive. But also available.

Michael | "He's dead, Jim."..

At B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

It

is about $1300 with the lens. the item on ebay does not look like a 6x7
and might not even be Medium Format.

--
Michael | "He's dead, Jim."

Old August 29th 06, 06:59 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Randy Stewart

Cabin made/makes [?] projecters in all formats. With a 75mm lens, this one
is not medium format. It might even be half-frame 35mm format.

Anyone truly in the market, Pro Photo Supply in Portland, Oregon, last week
had a 6x7 Cabin projector, used but in nice shape, listed for about $1,000.
I expect that the price is flexible. They are on the web.