Still using medium format

Old August 9th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Greg \_\

Default Still using medium format

In article ,
no_name wrote:

Greg "_" wrote:

I think the 411 drop is for the upper part of the falls there are two
sections- but I didn't measure or for that matter make the claim

Amicalola is a cascade, meaning it tumbles down over a rock face instead
of having a clear drop. Whitewater doesn't really have a clear drop, but
it's a lot more vertical than Amicalola.

There's a whole lot of waterfalls in the area around Whitewater falls.
Right up NC 281 from Whitewater, is Gorges State Park. The Horsepasture
river is on the southern boundary of the park and there are at least 3
good waterfalls along it between NC 281 and the SC state line.

And if you go into the Duke Power visitors parking just south of
Whitewater falls, you can access lower falls via a dirt road & trail
that leads to another viewing platform, although it's a long walk with
heavy camera loads.

Good to know, there's someone with a semblance of knowledge-
Thanks! I've been to Bridal Veil, Dry Falls, and Linville....and of
course WW.
--
Reality-Is finding that perfect picture
and never looking back.

www.gregblankphoto.com
Old August 9th 06, 05:40 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
nathantw

"sr3" wrote in message [http://qcgalleryworks.com/]
for processing. That's where I learned
that getting this film developed is an a la cart method - one price for
processing, another for proof prints and a third for scan services!

The lowest cost method seemed to be processing ($6/roll) and low res
scanning. ($5/roll). They suggested proof prints and offered 4x6, 4x5
or 5x5 sizes. I had no idea what size I need so we just went for the
scanning for now.

Those prices seemed about right. I normally pay about $18 for 1 roll of
color negative film processed with 5x5 proof prints made. For B/W film I
just do it myself. For slides I get them processed at a local colorlab.
Unfortunately for me I now need to go a little further than I did previously
because my favorite lab went out of business. That old lab used to be open
from 9am - 10pm daily, then they cut the days and hours and finally they
were closed. Sign of the times.

Old August 9th 06, 01:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Lloyd Erlick

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 18:32:12 -0400, "Greg
\"_\"" wrote:

try a swing set sometime feet on the swing
look down...puke city

August 9, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

But I remember as a kid standing on the
swing, holding the chains up high, and
pumping away until I was too scared to
continue. No going over the top for me! But I
never puked on a swing! (After I fell off the
monkey-bars flat onto my back, now that was
pretty memorable ...)

But that was childhood. Recently Natalie's
grand children spun me around for a while on
their truck-tire swing (tire held by three
chains so it's a horizontal seat). The
spinning seems tolerable until one tries to
get up and walk. THEN it's puke city! Also
rubber legs city and time to go take a rest
in the dark.

regards,
--le
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
website: www.heylloyd.com
telephone: 416-686-0326
email:
________________________________

Old August 9th 06, 02:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Rob Novak

On 8 Aug 2006 17:32:26 -0700, "sr3" wrote:

One of my problems at the moment is finding film and a place to process
it. I live in Charlotte and stopped by a local Wolf Camera. I bought
their only two rolls of 120 - both rolls were B&W film, one ISO 100 and
the other 400. It appears they were on the shelf for a year or two.

This is not a flip answer - I suggest you learn to process it
yourself.

B&W is not hard. You just have to be conscientious about your
measurements, times, and temperatures. You can do it in your kitchen
with light-safe tanks and a changing bag.

C-41 color is not hard at all, especially if you use the Tetenal Rapid
system. All you need is a plastic tub you can temper your chemicals
and tanks in (keep them at a constant temp).

E-6 is a little complicated, especially if you're using the full
6-bath process. For E-6, I definitely recommend a small rotary
processor.

My chemical costs are less than 75 cents a roll for B&W using
primarily Ilford chemistry (Ilfotec DD-X mostly, along with Ilfostop,
Rapid Fix, and Kodak Photoflo rinse aid). C-41 and E-6 are less than
$2 per roll. If you can lay your hands on a Jobo processor in good
condition, for a good price on eBay, it'll pay for itself - and
quickly if you shoot a fair amount. B&H is my primary film supplier.
I'm in Baltimore, and within a one-day shipping zone for UPS ground.
--
Rob on the Web - Trouble In Paradise
http://rob.rnovak.net
Old August 9th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
sr3

Rob Novak wrote:
This is not a flip answer - I suggest you learn to process it
yourself.

B&W is not hard. You just have to be conscientious about your
measurements, times, and temperatures. You can do it in your kitchen
with light-safe tanks and a changing bag.

Not a bad idea. I used to process B&W 35mm film about three decades
ago. I bet it's like riding a bike...

Scott

Old August 9th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
no_name

sr3 wrote:

One of my problems at the moment is finding film and a place to process
it. I live in Charlotte and stopped by a local Wolf Camera. I bought
their only two rolls of 120 - both rolls were B&W film, one ISO 100 and
the other 400. It appears they were on the shelf for a year or two.

Charlotte Camera
5341 Ballantyne Commons Pkwy
Suite 300
Charlotte, NC 28277

They stock 120 film for B&W (C41 & traditional), color print & slide

I used the 400 first just to figure out how to load the camera and see
what works and then dropped it off at QC Gallery Works
[http://qcgalleryworks.com/] for processing. That's where I learned
that getting this film developed is an a la cart method - one price for
processing, another for proof prints and a third for scan services!

The lowest cost method seemed to be processing ($6/roll) and low res
scanning. ($5/roll). They suggested proof prints and offered 4x6, 4x5
or 5x5 sizes. I had no idea what size I need so we just went for the
scanning for now.

Charlotte Camera may be able to recommend a lab with better service as
well if you don't want to do your own processing.

As for B&W proofing, ask for a contact sheet.
Old August 9th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
no_name

sr3 wrote:

Scott, you might check out Carolinas Nature Photographers Association.

http://www.cnpa.org/

They have a strong chapter in Asheville NC, and another in Charlotte,
NC. They host frequent fieldtrips into the NC mountains and will share
lots of information about some of the hidden goodies.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/089...lance&n=283155

Kevin Adams is one of our members.

Thanks! I'm all over it!

All this talk reminds me of an article in the Charlotte Observer, May
18 1997, titled Peak Performance. They described the 13 most
interesting mountain peaks around the Charlotte area. The article
covered places in four different states from Black Rock Mtn in GA all
the way up to Stone Mountain near West Jefferson, North Carolina.

The trip was about 1200 miles and we did it in two days. I'd love to do
it again in slow motion, perhaps taking a week and dozens of rolls of
film. The hard part though is we now have three small kids and they (or
is it me) don't have the patience for a road trip of that length.

Stone Mountain was the most surprising peak of the whole trip and still
one of our favorites...

http://ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/stmo/home.html

Scott

From Stone Mountain State Park, take US 21 N to the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Take the Parkway south & at the first overlook looking east, on a clear
day, you'll be able to see both Stone Mountain, AND Pilot Mountain north
of Winston Salem.

http://ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/pimo/home.html
Old August 9th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
nathantw

"Lloyd Erlick" Lloyd at @the-wire. dot com wrote in message grand
children spun me around for a while on
their truck-tire swing (tire held by three
chains so it's a horizontal seat). The
spinning seems tolerable until one tries to
get up and walk. THEN it's puke city! Also
rubber legs city and time to go take a rest
in the dark.

doesn't old age suck?

Old August 9th 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Lloyd Erlick

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 15:58:55 GMT, "nathantw"
wrote:

"Lloyd Erlick" Lloyd at @the-wire. dot com wrote in message grand
children spun me around for a while on
their truck-tire swing (tire held by three
chains so it's a horizontal seat). The
spinning seems tolerable until one tries to
get up and walk. THEN it's puke city! Also
rubber legs city and time to go take a rest
in the dark.

doesn't old age suck?

August 9, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

and they weren't even my grand childen!
--le
Old August 9th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
no_name

nathantw wrote:

"Lloyd Erlick" Lloyd at @the-wire. dot com wrote in message grand
children spun me around for a while on

their truck-tire swing (tire held by three
chains so it's a horizontal seat). The
spinning seems tolerable until one tries to
get up and walk. THEN it's puke city! Also
rubber legs city and time to go take a rest
in the dark.

doesn't old age suck?

Beats the alternative.