[SI] XXXV (old stuff) Alan's comments

Old August 30th 04, 04:33 AM
Alan Browne

Brian C. Baird wrote:
In article ,
says...

I snipped and ignored most of your message... read the rulz of
the SI, for that matter participate. Part of the rulz say
"extensive photoshop manipulation" ... is not particularly
welcome. This should be interpreted as minimal adjustments.
Desat is not "minimal adjustments".

Yes it is. I've stated over and over that the amount of desaturation I
did was limited to the blues and reds, and some greens. I accomplished
the effect I wanted in about 5 minutes.

Extensive Photoshop work, in my opinion, is complex masks, cloning out
imperfections and/or cloning in things that weren't there. Besides the
color, I changed nothing in the image.

Okay, I promise this is my last post on the subject.

However, let's be rational he

-So you take a pitchur from the comfort of your drivers seat

-You claim that your 5 minutes work in photoshop is somehow
related to a traditional darkroom technqiue "...is complex masks,
cloning out imperfections ..." etc. yada-doo-doo,

We're supposed to believe that in your little photographic
world you would have done all that in a darkroom to quote:
"achieve the effect I wanted" ...

....but you were too lazy to get out of the car and make a proper
photograph in the first place?

BWahhahahahahahahaahahahaha.

Cheers,
Alan

http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
Old August 30th 04, 04:47 AM
Alan Browne

Ken Nadvornick wrote:

"Alan Browne" wrote:

Just shoot me.

No need. You've already accomplished that...

Like hell.

Old August 30th 04, 04:47 AM
Alan Browne

Old August 30th 04, 05:05 AM
Brian C. Baird

says...
Okay, I promise this is my last post on the subject.

Something tells me it won't be.

However, let's be rational he

-So you take a pitchur from the comfort of your drivers seat

I was the passenger at the time, and since when does the Shoot-in
require I not be in a vehicle?

-You claim that your 5 minutes work in photoshop is somehow
related to a traditional darkroom technqiue "...is complex masks,
cloning out imperfections ..." etc. yada-doo-doo,

Time is irrelevant.

We're supposed to believe that in your little photographic
world you would have done all that in a darkroom to quote:
"achieve the effect I wanted" ...

Why the condescending attitude?

...but you were too lazy to get out of the car and make a proper
photograph in the first place?

BWahhahahahahahahaahahahaha.

Cheers,
Alan

So what is it, Alan? First you criticize my use of Photoshop to achieve
something you claim "cannot be done in the darkroom." When others say
that it COULD be done in the darkroom, then it suddenly becomes a matter
of time invested and "taking a proper photograph?"

Alan, you're being a dick. The shoot-in isn't about your little war
with digital manipulation or my skills as a photographer - it's about
shooting images and having fun. I invest the amount of time *I* want to
each week to participate in an activity for *leisure*.

I can accept you don't like the image, but what I will not accept is
your crude attempts to lobby unfair criticism against me for the methods
I chose to employ. To be blunt - it's none of your ****ing business.
If you don't like the image, fine. I don't expect you to. But don't
bitch to me about "violating the rulz" when 1: it isn't your place to
and 2: you're using it as an excuse to impolitely criticize my skills as
a photographer - skills which I do not claim to have.

Please remember the Shoot-in is for fun. It's supposed to invite people
to participate. Right now you're not making it very fun, and I think
you've stepped over the line with your attitude.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

Old August 30th 04, 08:50 AM
Sabineellen

...but you were too lazy to get out of the car and make a proper
photograph in the first place?

haha. I thought the image was fine without the photoshop stuff. In fact, the
photoshop made it just another cliche i dislike - selectively desaturated.

Reminds me of the time in my early childhood my older brother got into
bird-hunting, big edible birds of course; he'd spot a bird half a mile away and
then his driving companion would chase it while my brother fired shots at him
with his rifle. Shooting a flying bird from a speeding car; how he hoped to
catch anything, i have no idea. Suffice to say I don't recall he did it many
times, so he must've given up.

Old August 30th 04, 02:45 PM
Alan Browne

Brian C. Baird wrote:

So what is it, Alan? First you criticize my use of Photoshop to achieve
something you claim "cannot be done in the darkroom." When others say
that it COULD be done in the darkroom,

Not by you. You can't operate a darkroom from your car.

Old August 30th 04, 03:32 PM
Colm

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
.. .
Brian C. Baird wrote:

So what is it, Alan? First you criticize my use of Photoshop to achieve
something you claim "cannot be done in the darkroom." When others say
that it COULD be done in the darkroom,

Not by you. You can't operate a darkroom from your car.

Sure he could. It would be a bitch to navigate with the windows blacked out
though...

--
Colm