Lighting questions...

Old April 17th 04, 08:23 AM
Dekoda

Default Lighting questions...

Hello all. I just discovered this group and thought maybe
someone in here could help me. I know zilch about photography lights,
and I'm getting ready to do some indoor shots....most likely nude
shots. I want to use a certain type of lamp called a redhead. The
reason for this type of lamp is because an acquaintance of mine uses
them and I really like the effect they give.
Since I don't know anything about lighting, I'm lost as to type,
brand, cost, etc. I'm just getting into nude photography, and I have
a lot to learn, so I thought that maybe someone in here could give me
some tips on these type of lamps. I need to know things like, are
they flash lamps, or are they constantly on. What type of socket do
they screw into, or do all photolamps have the same type of screw in
socket? What type of stand would I need to support these lamps? And
last, where do I purchase them?
Obviously I'd like to keep the cost down, since this is basically
a hobby at this time, but I realize that I will have to spend a chunk
of change to get a decent quality setup, so I'm prepared to do that.
Most likely the camera I'll be using will be a Canon Digital
Rebel, but that will depend on what I have to lay out for the lights.
I've already bought one Canon Digital Rebel for my daughter, who is a
staff photographer, and I really liked it, so most likely, that'll be
my next camera......unless the lights cost more than I expect, in
which case I'll start out using my Olympus C2500 L.
Anyway, any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

--
Dekoda
Old April 17th 04, 03:36 PM
Wilt W

I know zilch about photography lights,
and I'm getting ready to do some indoor shots....most likely nude
shots. I want to use a certain type of lamp called a redhead. The
reason for this type of lamp is because an acquaintance of mine uses
them and I really like the effect they give.

You also know zilch about women, because 'readheads' are women, not lights!

Old April 17th 04, 09:07 PM
Stefan Patric

On Saturday 17 April 2004 12:23 am, Dekoda wrote:

[...]
[snip]

Before you buy lights, any type of light, you need to learn the
techniques of photographic lighting. First, start with learning how to
modify and redirect the sun and daylight to obtain a lighting scheme
suitable to the subject being photographed. Go to the book store or
library and look for books on "Natural Light" photography and lighting
techniques. This is the easiest and least expensive method of learning
lighting. Basically, what you do with artificial lights is mimic the
look obtained with "natural" light.

Once you've gotten comfortable with natural lighting -- should take 6
months to a year, move to artificial lights. Starting with "hot"
lights is easiest, since you can see the lighting effects. With
electronic flash, even those with modeling lights, it is hard for the
beginner to judge the lighting effect. Plus, an good electronic flash
setup will run hundreds more than a "hot" set, but you'll eventually
want to move to electronic flash for the superior light output, color
stability, and lack of heat generated.

Books you should be reading and studying should be on glamour, nude, and
portrait photography -- posing and lighting.

--
Stefan Patric

Old April 18th 04, 04:08 AM
Dekoda

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 13:07:14 -0700, Stefan Patric
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the tips SP! I'll check out some of the books you
mentioned.

--
Dekoda