P&S camera with GPS?

Old January 11th 18, 09:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
micky

Default P&S camera with GPS?

I've finally started going through my 100's of pictures from last spring
-- and it's wonderful -- and I'm pleased to say that in context I can
remember where, usually exactly where, each one was taken.

But I'm 71 and I can see the day coming when I won't remember my name,
so maybe I should consider a camera with GPS. Plus even now, once in a
while, I wish I knew where a lone picture was taken.

OTOH, I'm just a tourist, not what any of you folks would call a
photographer and I like that I can put my current camera in my shirt
pocket, that it doesn't swing around and get broken, doesn't attract
muggers, and doesn't weigh much.

So any chance to find a small P&S camera with GPS or geo-tagging?

If not, what would be the smallest cheapest camera with GPS, or -- I
don't need a make and model -- how big would it be and how much would
it cost?

When I googled I got mostly dash cams, drone cams, etc. so I figured I'd
save time and ask you all.
Old January 11th 18, 10:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-01-11 08:55:30 +0000, micky said:

[...]

Here ya go!

https://pricespy.co.uk/category.php?l=s321866360
--
teleportation kills

Old January 11th 18, 11:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
RJH

On 11/01/2018 08:55, micky wrote:
[...]

A decent smartphone probably isn't far off what you're asking for.

I've got a Panasonic TZ10 - used it a lot and like it - just the lack of
EVF a problem for me. On the GPS, it takes while (some minutes) to fix a
location from 'cold', and pre-firmware update drained the battery very
quickly. You might want to look at reviews, and how good a camera's GPS
is in use.

--
Cheers, Rob
Old January 11th 18, 12:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 11, 2018, micky wrote
(in ):

[...]

There are a handful of compact cameras with integrated GPS, and those which
have it are not necessarily “P&S” cheap. Many of them such as some of the
Olympus, and Fujifilm cameras us a WiFi connected Smart phone fro GPS data
logging.

Here are a few links to some compacts which might suit you:
With integrated GPS:
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V
https://www.sony.com/electronics/cyber-shot-compact-cameras/dsc-hx90v
https://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/compacts/sony_dschx90v

Nikon CoolPix W300
https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-pr...mpact-digital-
cameras/coolpix-w300.html
https://www.dpreview.com/products/nikon/compacts/nikon_cpw300

GPS via Smartphone:
Olympus TG5
https://www.dpreview.com/products/olympus/compacts/olympus_tg5
https://www.olympus.com.au/Products/...s/T-Series/TG-
5/Overview

Savageduck

Old January 11th 18, 01:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , micky
wrote:

So any chance to find a small P&S camera with GPS or geo-tagging?

not many, because the p&s market has been eaten alive by phones.

If not, what would be the smallest cheapest camera with GPS, or -- I
don't need a make and model -- how big would it be and how much would
it cost?

a smartphone, which you already have.
Old January 11th 18, 06:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article .com,
Savageduck says...
GPS via Smartphone:
Olympus TG5
https://www.dpreview.com/products/olympus/compacts/olympus_tg5
https://www.olympus.com.au/Products/...s/T-Series/TG-
5/Overview

Actually this has built-in GPS (no need for a smartphone).
--
Alfred Molon

Old January 11th 18, 07:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2018-01-11 03:55, micky wrote:
[...]

As others point out, your smartphone may be enough as is?

If not ...

Since "cheapest" is a criteria, not buying a camera at all is another
option: use the P&S you already have.

You would use your smartphone to record your location at all times while
doing photography. This does require you synchronize the date and time
of the camera as accurately as possible to a reference time source (such
as NIST in the US). Within 10 seconds will fit most needs and within 1
s. if possible.

Then use a program on your PC to tag the photo's position. (Upload the
phots and the GPS track to the PC and run a tagging program. It will
"batch" the entire set faster than you can spit).

This not a "convenience" solution - but it would allow you to geo tag
with an existing P&S and a little post processing. (I use EXIFTOOL but
there are other GUI based solutions). The better "recording" apps cost
a few $. "Trails" is free as long as you keep deleting the files (up to
5 (IIRC) it is free).

--
“When it is all said and done, there are approximately 94 million
full-time workers in private industry paying taxes to support 102
Old January 11th 18, 10:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 11, 2018, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In iganews.com,
Savageduck says...
GPS via Smartphone:
Olympus TG5
https://www.dpreview.com/products/olympus/compacts/olympus_tg5
https://www.olympus.com.au/Products/...s/T-Series/TG-
5/Overview

Actually this has built-in GPS (no need for a smartphone).

Well, OK then.

Savageduck

Old January 11th 18, 11:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 11, 2018, Alan Browne wrote
(in ):

On 2018-01-11 03:55, micky wrote:
[...]

That is always an option for any shooter in the market for a P&S.

You would use your smartphone to record your location at all times while
doing photography. This does require you synchronize the date and time
of the camera as accurately as possible to a reference time source (such
as NIST in the US). Within 10 seconds will fit most needs and within 1
s. if possible.

With my Fujifilm X-E2, X-T2, and X-E3, the camera is time synced to the
mobile device via WiFi, and/or BT, and if GPS is active the GPS tags are
written to the files in realtime. This works quite well, however, it is not
as seemless as my Nikon GP1 on my D300s which is a dedicated GPS unit, and
also writes in realtime.

Then use a program on your PC to tag the photo's position. (Upload the
phots and the GPS track to the PC and run a tagging program. It will
"batch" the entire set faster than you can spit).

This not a "convenience" solution - but it would allow you to geo tag
with an existing P&S and a little post processing. (I use EXIFTOOL but
there are other GUI based solutions). The better "recording" apps cost
a few $. "Trails" is free as long as you keep deleting the files (up to
5 (IIRC) it is free).

That is a working kludge which requires additional steps in your workflow. It
is still better to have a two piece system, in-camera, or auxillary real GPS
set up which can write to the files in realtime.

Savageduck

Old January 12th 18, 01:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

[...]

Mobile phone good enough? Cameras with GPS tend to eat batteries.

--
Cheers,
David