Air vs Pro vs 16" Pro - life is hard

Old May 20th 20, 01:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default Air vs Pro vs 16" Pro - life is hard

I ruled out the Macbook Air, so I'm down to the new 13 and 16 inch
Pro's. I have done a lot of research and read and watched lots of
reviews, and I do understand the differences, so I'm not really asking
anyone to tell me what to buy. To me, the main difference is the fact
that they Pro has a separate GPU, and that makes it much faster for
rendering video. I don't really do video, but I still would like this
investment to be somewhat future proof. I do understand, too, that I
can always add an eGPU to the 13". Spec'd the way I want them, the 13"
is $1800, and the 16" is often on sale for $2200. Either one would
work for me for photography and music creation and editing.

Any comments on anything I might be overlooking, something I maybe
haven't thought of before i finally order one of these?
Old May 20th 20, 01:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

I ruled out the Macbook Air, so I'm down to the new 13 and 16 inch
Pro's. I have done a lot of research and read and watched lots of
reviews, and I do understand the differences, so I'm not really asking
anyone to tell me what to buy. To me, the main difference is the fact
that they Pro has a separate GPU, and that makes it much faster for
rendering video. I don't really do video, but I still would like this
investment to be somewhat future proof. I do understand, too, that I
can always add an eGPU to the 13". Spec'd the way I want them, the 13"
is $1800, and the 16" is often on sale for $2200. Either one would
work for me for photography and music creation and editing.

Any comments on anything I might be overlooking, something I maybe
haven't thought of before i finally order one of these?

keep in mind that the 13" macbook pro is really two models with the
same name. the 2 port version uses an older processor than the 4 port
version.
Old May 20th 20, 02:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Tue, 19 May 2020 20:52:29 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

[...]

Right - I'm looking only at the $1800 version: 10th gen i5, 16 GB
memory, and 512 SSD. Same specs on the 16", except it's the 8th gen
i7, and slower memory. But overall, it's got more horsepower.
Old May 20th 20, 12:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David_B[_3_]

On 20/05/2020 01:06, Bill W wrote:
I ruled out the Macbook Air, so I'm down to the new 13 and 16 inch
Pro's. I have done a lot of research and read and watched lots of
reviews, and I do understand the differences, so I'm not really asking
anyone to tell me what to buy. To me, the main difference is the fact
that they Pro has a separate GPU, and that makes it much faster for
rendering video. I don't really do video, but I still would like this
investment to be somewhat future proof. I do understand, too, that I
can always add an eGPU to the 13". Spec'd the way I want them, the 13"
is $1800, and the 16" is often on sale for $2200. Either one would
work for me for photography and music creation and editing.

Any comments on anything I might be overlooking, something I maybe
haven't thought of before i finally order one of these?

Have you considered one of these instead?

https://www.apple.com/uk/ipad-pro/

*Be sure to scroll*!

I have the previous one - it's an amazing piece of kit!
(But I still prefer my iMac!)

Old May 20th 20, 12:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Phillip Helbig[_2_]

In article , David_B
writes:

Have you considered one of these instead?

https://www.apple.com/uk/ipad-pro/

*Be sure to scroll*!

I have the previous one - it's an amazing piece of kit!
(But I still prefer my iMac!)

I also have an iPad Pro, bought about 4 years ago. I'm happy with it.
As a tablet, it's about the size and shape of a magazine (but heavier),
so easy to carry around. With the smart-cover-as-foldout-keyboard,
there is not that much difference to a MacBook Air (which my wife has).

Old May 20th 20, 01:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David_B[_3_]

On 20/05/2020 12:52, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
In article , David_B
writes:

Have you considered one of these instead?

https://www.apple.com/uk/ipad-pro/

*Be sure to scroll*!

I have the previous one - it's an amazing piece of kit!
(But I still prefer my iMac!)

I also have an iPad Pro, bought about 4 years ago. I'm happy with it.
As a tablet, it's about the size and shape of a magazine (but heavier),
so easy to carry around. With the smart-cover-as-foldout-keyboard,
there is not that much difference to a MacBook Air (which my wife has).

I struggled with the cost of buying one of these, but am SO glad that I
did!

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/produc...ritish-english

Perhaps Bill will take a look at this too!