Getting Cataract Operation

Old February 22nd 16, 01:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Default Getting Cataract Operation

Hi,

I have an old book from the U.K. written by an eye doctor, showing the
effects of various eye conditions on paintings, including late
impressionist ones by artists with cataracts. After correction, they
painted quite differently. It also showed that El Greco had astigmatism,
and when his paintings are corrected with an appropriate cylinder lens,
they appear to be normal.

Not directly parallel to photography, but an interesting book nevertheless.

Mort Linder

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 08:59:08 -0800, Savageduck

On 2016-02-20 16:17:02 +0000, "Gary Eickmeier" said:

"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message
Hey Savageduck - going to get measured on the 12th and operation on right
eye on 16th, then other eye two weeks later. How'm I doing? Any problems
or regrets?

Got the first eye done. Painless, no problems. Got to be careful about
caring for it after operation, but no biggie. Interesting results: Much
brighter, much sharper, but at first a pink tinge to the color, compared to
the other eye. After a couple of days, I can see the pinkish tinge has gone
away and I see perfect color from that eye. Other eye now I can see the
yellowish, dark, cloudy vision I was used to for so long. Glasses shuffle is
a problem - don't need them for driving, do need something for reading and
computer. Driving at night, getting double vision with only one eye operated
on so far, because the left eye doesn't see to focus as well as the right
eye. Maybe can just pop out the lens of the glasses for teh good eye so that
the left is corrected and can converge with the right again. Don't want to
develop "lazy eye" before I get the other eye done!

Gary Eickmeier

Yup I tried the popping the lens out of the frame trick for driving and
it worked quite well.
At home using the computer, or watching TV it was simpler to put a
patch over the eye waiting surgery. For reading you might have to pick
up a pair of cheap drugstore readers until you have had the post-op eye
exam and any Rx that requires. It is possible that cheap readers are
all you will need.
Once the other eye is done it will reveal the world you have been
missing for a while. I finally got the first non-prescription
sunglasses I have been able to wear in some 40+ years. It makes me feel
like a fresh eyed kid again.

Has the operation had any affect on your opinion of your more recent
(pre-op) photography?