Getting Cataract Operation

Old February 4th 16, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default Getting Cataract Operation

On 2/4/2016 11:01 AM, philo wrote:
On 02/04/2016 09:55 AM, PeterN wrote:

My wife also had cataract surgery. (If you can call a 15 minute
procedure surgery.)

When the operation is done on someone else, it's a procedure. When it's
done on you, it's surgery. The length of time is irrelevant. ;-)

My gastro guy has a sense of humor. His colonoscopy monitor has a moon
as a background image.

LOL

BTW: Thanks for the reminder, I think I'm due in Nov.

Don't know why so many people are reluctant to get them, there is zero
pain thanks to the sedative and it does not take very long.

Muttering something about prep and PITAs

Her cataracts were fairly minor but she elected to have it done before
it became a real problem. Even though she knew she had astigmatism, she
did not know how bad it was until it was fixed.

Though it cost more to get the aspheric lenses (I think that's what they
were called) after Medicare paid it's part it was perhaps $1200 per eye.

She is an artist and began a series of (oil) portraits and has turned
into a true master. She just cannot believe how well she can see.

The only problem is a slight "haloing" at night caused by the street
lights. She said it eventually diminished (or possibly just got used to
it).

The latter is more probable. When driving, at night in a rain storm, I
have better vision without my glasses, because of the haloing effect.
But then I have always been far sighted. My astigmatism only affects my
near and middle vision.

She usually has me drive at night, but it's not a major problem if she
does have to drive.

--
PeterN
Old February 4th 16, 08:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 02/04/2016 12:30 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 2/4/2016 11:01 AM, philo wrote:
On 02/04/2016 09:55 AM, PeterN wrote:

My wife also had cataract surgery. (If you can call a 15 minute
procedure surgery.)

When the operation is done on someone else, it's a procedure. When it's
done on you, it's surgery. The length of time is irrelevant. ;-)

My gastro guy has a sense of humor. His colonoscopy monitor has a moon
as a background image.

LOL

BTW: Thanks for the reminder, I think I'm due in Nov.

Don't know why so many people are reluctant to get them, there is zero
pain thanks to the sedative and it does not take very long.

Muttering something about prep and PITAs

Drinking that "go juice" is the worst part

but every five years...what the heck

Old February 6th 16, 10:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2/6/2016 4:51 PM, Anonymous wrote:
In article
philo wrote:

On 02/04/2016 09:55 AM, PeterN wrote:

My wife also had cataract surgery. (If you can call a 15 minute
procedure surgery.)

When the operation is done on someone else, it's a procedure. When it's
done on you, it's surgery. The length of time is irrelevant. ;-)

My gastro guy has a sense of humor. His colonoscopy monitor has a moon
as a background image.

LOL

BTW: Thanks for the reminder, I think I'm due in Nov.

Don't know why so many people are reluctant to get them, there is zero
pain thanks to the sedative and it does not take very long. ....

Zero pain? Not always. If they screw up you can find yourself
emerging from the sedative in enormous pain as someone gets the
probe mechanism doubled up inside your colon. You can also get a
perforated colon, with some very serious consequences, from that.

Sadly true. We are assuming a routine procedure, where there is no screw up.
Similarly, driving in a limited access road should not be a problem, but
when you get some idiot speeding and going the wrong way, bad things can
happen.

--
PeterN
Old February 20th 16, 04:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Eickmeier

"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message
Hey Savageduck - going to get measured on the 12th and operation on right
eye on 16th, then other eye two weeks later. How'm I doing? Any problems
or regrets?

Got the first eye done. Painless, no problems. Got to be careful about
caring for it after operation, but no biggie. Interesting results: Much
brighter, much sharper, but at first a pink tinge to the color, compared to
the other eye. After a couple of days, I can see the pinkish tinge has gone
away and I see perfect color from that eye. Other eye now I can see the
yellowish, dark, cloudy vision I was used to for so long. Glasses shuffle is
a problem - don't need them for driving, do need something for reading and
computer. Driving at night, getting double vision with only one eye operated
on so far, because the left eye doesn't see to focus as well as the right
eye. Maybe can just pop out the lens of the glasses for teh good eye so that
the left is corrected and can converge with the right again. Don't want to
develop "lazy eye" before I get the other eye done!

Gary Eickmeier

Old February 20th 16, 04:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-02-20 16:17:02 +0000, "Gary Eickmeier" said:

[...]

Yup I tried the popping the lens out of the frame trick for driving and
it worked quite well.
At home using the computer, or watching TV it was simpler to put a
patch over the eye waiting surgery. For reading you might have to pick
up a pair of cheap drugstore readers until you have had the post-op eye
exam and any Rx that requires. It is possible that cheap readers are
all you will need.
Once the other eye is done it will reveal the world you have been
missing for a while. I finally got the first non-prescription
sunglasses I have been able to wear in some 40+ years. It makes me feel
like a fresh eyed kid again.

Savageduck

Old February 20th 16, 10:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 08:59:08 -0800, Savageduck

On 2016-02-20 16:17:02 +0000, "Gary Eickmeier" said:

[...]

Has the operation had any affect on your opinion of your more recent
(pre-op) photography?

Eric Stevens
Old February 21st 16, 12:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-02-20 16:17:02 +0000, "Gary Eickmeier" said:

[...]

Well I depended on AF quite a bit, as on top of the cataracts giving me
a progressively permanent soft focus view of the world for the last 5+
years, I had pretty severe astigmatism to deal with. Fortunately my
astigmatism was correctable to 20/20 with glasses, but they could do
nothing for the cataracts. Now things are bright, sharp and
undistorted, and I don't have to wear glasses for day-to day
functioning. As far as my more recent pre-op photography goes, my
vision had got so bad I was less than enthusiastic and my shooting
reflects that. In 2013 I shot about 1500 frames, in 2014 I shot less
than 100 frames. The results were OK, but I was just not going out that
much.
Here is one of my 2014 shots when I wasn't seeing things that well.
https://db.tt/qpob1cZY

Then I had the surgery, and got the Fujifilm X-E2 and my whole approach
to photography has been revitalized.

Savageduck

Old February 21st 16, 01:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2016-02-20 16:17:02 +0000, "Gary Eickmeier" said:

[...]

Hmmm. Built for impact. Especially on the tail bone.

I wouldn't like to corner very hard on that rear tire.

But I guess none of these things were reasons why you took this
photograph.

Old February 21st 16, 01:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:
On 2016-02-20 16:17:02 +0000, "Gary Eickmeier" said:
[...]

Yup!

I wouldn't like to corner very hard on that rear tire.

Agreed.

Old February 21st 16, 08:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Eickmeier

On 2016-02-21 01:18:29 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

Hmmm. Built for impact. Especially on the tail bone.

Yup!

I wouldn't like to corner very hard on that rear tire.

Agreed.

But I guess none of these things were reasons why you took this
photograph.

Yup!

Then I had the surgery, and got the Fujifilm X-E2 and my whole approach
to photography has been revitalized.

Savageduck

Nice photo and thanks for all comments about the operation Savageduck. I
think I have to wait until March 29th to get the other on done, and it is
making me crazy.

Gary Eickmeier