Just a question

Old September 11th 18, 05:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

Default Just a question

This is intended as just a question, and not a position taken on
either side.

Adobe has provided a short video on the later-to-be released
improvements on Content Aware Fill in Photoshop.

It's available to watch at:
https://petapixel.com/2018/09/10/pho...eid=b307a66a15

or http://tinyurl.com/ybv32cks

The question is "Do improvements like this take away the skill aspect
and enjoyment of Photoshop for you?"

In other words, is it going to less rewarding to you to improve your
skills in using Photoshop if the improvements mean no skill, or
considerably less skill, is required to do what now takes skill?

Oh, the final product will be done faster and better with the
improvements, but the challenge of learning how to use the present
available tools is lessened.

What's more important to you? The final result, or the accomplishment
of having to hone your skills to get to that final result?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 11th 18, 05:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 9/11/2018 12:18 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
[...]

In my opinion tools are most useful when you understand them.
Can one use any tool it's full potential if they don't fully understand
what it does? I don't tend to like the "black box w/magic inside"
way of doing things. If the tool is well documented, great!
If it's not well documented, then it's just magic we're told to trust.
[YMMV]
--
==
Later...

Old September 11th 18, 06:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Tony Cooper wrote:
[...]

Having been a PS user from long before the days of CS, or CC, I have always
enjoyed learning as the software developed into what it is today. I get a
great sense of satisfaction by achieving a fix, or solution which hours
before seemed too tough for me.

I have always been enthralled by each incremental improvement in PS, and
LR, and I have always been keen to experiment with new tools, and features
to find ways to incorporate them into my workflow to make things faster,
simpler, and ultimately reach better results.

So to answer your question, for me it would be a bit of both.

Savageduck
Old September 11th 18, 03:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

[...]

I suspect that depends on the one using the product. Those whose main
requirement is productivity will appreciate the automation. Those who
are primarily artists may find the automation to be an obstruction
because it may take longer to execute their work as they intend.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old September 11th 18, 03:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Neil
wrote:

What's more important to you? The final result, or the accomplishment
of having to hone your skills to get to that final result?

I suspect that depends on the one using the product. Those whose main
requirement is productivity will appreciate the automation. Those who
are primarily artists may find the automation to be an obstruction
because it may take longer to execute their work as they intend.

there is no obstruction. those who want to use the new features can do
so and those who prefer to use older methods can continue doing what
they've been doing. the choice is theirs. some might use a mix of both.
Old September 11th 18, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 11/09/2018 05:18, Tony Cooper wrote:
[...]

I've rarely seen post-processing (beyond a straighten, crop and perhaps
curves tweak) improve an image. Duck's moon image was an interesting
exception. Having said that, I can image that there could be situations
where content-aware-fill could be useful.

I'm not one filling Adobe's overflowing coffers, though.

--
Cheers,
David
Old September 11th 18, 04:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 10:48:07 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Neil
wrote:

What's more important to you? The final result, or the accomplishment
of having to hone your skills to get to that final result?

I suspect that depends on the one using the product. Those whose main
requirement is productivity will appreciate the automation. Those who
are primarily artists may find the automation to be an obstruction
because it may take longer to execute their work as they intend.

there is no obstruction. those who want to use the new features can do
so and those who prefer to use older methods can continue doing what
they've been doing. the choice is theirs. some might use a mix of both.

Well, it didn't take long for nospam to find something to argue about
and to take the opportunity to state the bloody obvious.

It seems that it is impossible in this group to find something to
discuss that nospam can't find a reason to join in contentiously
without making any contribution of interest.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 11th 18, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

What's more important to you? The final result, or the accomplishment
of having to hone your skills to get to that final result?

I suspect that depends on the one using the product. Those whose main
requirement is productivity will appreciate the automation. Those who
are primarily artists may find the automation to be an obstruction
because it may take longer to execute their work as they intend.

there is no obstruction. those who want to use the new features can do
so and those who prefer to use older methods can continue doing what
they've been doing. the choice is theirs. some might use a mix of both.

Well, it didn't take long for nospam to find something to argue about
and to take the opportunity to state the bloody obvious.

i'm not arguing. neil claimed the new features cause an obstruction.

that is incorrect. they do not. quite the opposite. new features
*remove* obstructions that previously existed.

It seems that it is impossible in this group to find something to
discuss that nospam can't find a reason to join in contentiously
without making any contribution of interest.

more accurately, it's impossible for you to not be an asshole.
Old September 11th 18, 07:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 9/11/2018 11:52 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 10:48:07 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Neil
wrote:

[...]

It appeared to me that your question was based on using the new tools,
not avoiding their use and working as though one didn't "upgrade" to a
newer version of the app.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old September 11th 18, 07:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 14:06:38 -0400, Neil
wrote:

On 9/11/2018 11:52 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 10:48:07 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Neil
wrote:

[...]

No, not really. It was just a question about if people feel the
"quick and easy" use of the Photoshop tools takes away the
satisfaction of putting in the time and practice to become proficient
with the tools. Does it remove the challenge of acquiring a skill
set?

Of course I know that the user can choose whether or not to go the
"quick and easy" route. That needn't be stated. But, some may feel
it detracts from the pride one feels in mastering tools in order to
get the desired result.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida