For those Who Care to Play: Acros SOOC + RAF

Old May 12th 17, 06:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default For those Who Care to Play: Acros SOOC + RAF

On 5/12/2017 12:48 PM, Bill W wrote:
On Fri, 12 May 2017 09:50:44 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 5/12/2017 4:08 AM, Bill W wrote:
On Fri, 12 May 2017 03:58:23 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , David B.
wrote:

One of the last things I said to them was, " I guess this is why
people move to Apple". It might be a couple of years, but next time I
think I need something new, I will be looking at them for the first
time.

macs don't care if they're booted from internal or external drive,
whether it's usb, firewire, thunderbolt or sata. as long as the system
on the drive is compatible with the mac, it will boot, without any
changes necessary. they can even boot and install macos over the
internet to a blank hard drive.

there is also a recovery partition, which is automatically installed
(and is used for more than just recovery), so you don't actually need a
separate emergency boot disk.

Same with windows.
[....]

I don't think you are right about that, Peter, but I'm no computer expert.

Perhaps someone else reading here will make further comment.

he isn't.

There is a system partition used for recovery, but I don't know how
it's used. You sure can't boot from it.

This article covers that very subject. Is it easier with a Mac? I don't
know, but I will not participate in a tool war.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32523/how-to-manually-repair-windows-7-boot-loader-problems/

I saw that article, and it was useless. Many steps are missing, at
least for my PC. Bootrec was only one of several commands and other
steps that were needed. If that article works for anyone, they are
very lucky.

The other huge issue that I mentioned in another post is that the
recovery disk you can get from MS gives you a choice between copying
it to a USB drive, or to a DVD. You would think that the two choices
give you the exact same files, but they didn't for me. After wasting
hours using the USB drive, I finally burned it to a DVD, and the
failed commands finally worked. But the method in that article you
cited still was of no help.

If you're curious, this is what was needed:
Use Diskpart for the following:
remove drive letters from system partitions - might
need to make them inactive.
Assign drive letter C to Windows partition.
Make C: active.
Exit Diskpart.

Type these commands:
bcdboot c:\windows
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

It took a very long time to find this fix with Google. And like I
said, the most critical commands above did not work with the USB
drive.

I'm going to guess that this is considerably more work than what Apple
needs.

Sorry to hear that. I had a systems issue, went to the MS kiosk in a
local mall. They fixed it for no charge. That was about a year ago. MS
may have changed its policy.
You may be right. I cannot speak for Apple.
But When I needed support on my iPhone Apple gave me good tech support.
--
PeterN
Old May 12th 17, 06:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/3252...indows-7-boot-

loader-problems/

I saw that article, and it was useless. Many steps are missing, at
least for my PC. Bootrec was only one of several commands and other
steps that were needed. If that article works for anyone, they are
very lucky.

in other words, peter is spreading misinformation.

[...]

*much* more work than on a mac.

on a mac:
- clone one hard drive to another hard drive (various apps can do it)
or do a clean install to another hard drive (which won't affect the
internal).
- reboot mac (or boot an entirely different mac)
- hold down option (alt) key to get the startup boot selector
- choose drive from which to boot.

http://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-co.../OS-X-Startup-
Manager-Mac-screenshot-001.png

https://derflounder.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/photo-1-1.png

note the choose network popup menu. if no bootable drives are found (or
if they are and you don't want to use any of them), the mac can boot
from a network volume, including over the internet, and can even
install macos over the internet if necessary.

the above is a one-time event. the next time the mac boots, it will use
its selected boot volume unless the option key is held down again.

to change the boot volume on a more permanent basis, use the startup
disk system preference panel:
http://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-co...OS-X-Yosemite-
System-Preferences-Startup-Disk-Mac-screenshot-001.png

and then there's target disk mode, which turns the mac into a hard
drive, which then can then be connected to another mac and used as a
hard drive (boot from it, copy files, whatever). this can be *very*
useful for recovery and/or repair of a non-bootable system, without
needing to take the computer apart to get at the hard drive.
Old May 12th 17, 06:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

however, the point was that you can't easily clone a
windows drive and then from that clone or move it from machine to
machine, at least not without a *lot* of mucking around (although less
now than it used to be). windows *really* wants to be c:

I do it all the time. Just make an image of your disk. Its easy if you
know how. Go nospam, keep touting Apple. My stock will only go up.

take that image and boot it on the same computer (where it would be
something other than c

I cannot see why I would want to.

then you live a sheltered life.

booting from a clone is quite common, particularly if the main drive
fails, but also for testing purposes.

or better yet, boot another computer entirely,
where the hardware is completely different.

That would not be legal. Yes I know with Apple it is. If I want to get a
new machine, I buy the O/S. simple as that.

of course it would be legal and you're missing the point in why someone
would do it.

trivial on a mac. not so trivial on windows.

Not trivial if you know how. think Gordian knot.
Think Columbus and eggs.

it's a *lot* more effort on windows.

Shall I tell you how to make a bootable USB thumb drive, in windows. But
then, you would rather start a tool war, than discuss the specifics of
photography, with examples. I, and most of us here are primarily
interested in improving our photography. I said I will not get into a
tool war, but that doesn't mean I will let you get away with spreading
misinformation. We have enough of that coming from the White House.

the only one spreading misinformation is you.

So you say.

i do.
Old May 13th 17, 12:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 12/05/2017 15:50, PAS wrote:
On 5/12/2017 3:12 AM, David B. wrote:
On 2017-05-11 13:19:43 +0000, "David B."

On 2017-05-11 07:31:32 +0000, Bill W said:

He's probably smart...

He is an old P-47 & P-38 fighter pilot who survived two tours in
WWII. So he is pretty smart.

He's certainly is most fortunate to still be here!

Are you aware of THIS place?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambri...y_and_Memorial

I wasn't until now. Thanks for that bit of information.

You are welcome. Following all the trauma of organizing my son's
funeral, we had a 'spare' day. My wife and I went to visit Cambridge
for
the very first time in our lives - and took a ride on an open-top tour
bus. After reviewing the various universities, the bus left the city
and
eventually stopped outside the American Cemetery. We were invited to
leave the bus and go and explore - but we simply could not, knowing so
poignantly how much sadness the parents of those young men must have
felt.

I am really sorry to hear that. You and your wife have gone through
the worst possible experience.

I appreciate your understanding.

Thank you, Peter.

I am sorry also to be hearing about this David. I have no words and I
certainly cannot put myself in your shoes.

Even though Nick died way back in 1999, I still sometimes find it
troubling to talk about it. The biggest problem was/is that there was
absolutely no one to blame.

I appreciate your 'hug', though, PAS. Thanks. :-)

--
David B.
Old May 13th 17, 12:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 12/05/2017 09:48, nospam wrote:
In article , David B.
wrote:

although apple improved fsck a *lot* over what existed before (it had
to, because fsck was mostly crap), fsck is nowhere near as good as
diskwarrior, which is amazing in how well it can fix file system
corruption.

I bought a copy of Diskwarrior from Ebay some years ago. Sadly, it
doesn't work on my iMac/version of OS X.

that must have been a really, really long time ago.

5 years ago max I should think. I'll have a play later and let you know
what the disk tells me when I load it.

if it's 5 years old, it will still work, although it's not ideal.

what version number is it?

The SERIAL number is RD226827
Old May 13th 17, 12:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David B.
wrote:

although apple improved fsck a *lot* over what existed before (it had
to, because fsck was mostly crap), fsck is nowhere near as good as
diskwarrior, which is amazing in how well it can fix file system
corruption.

I bought a copy of Diskwarrior from Ebay some years ago. Sadly, it
doesn't work on my iMac/version of OS X.

that must have been a really, really long time ago.

5 years ago max I should think. I'll have a play later and let you know
what the disk tells me when I load it.

if it's 5 years old, it will still work, although it's not ideal.

what version number is it?

The SERIAL number is

i didn't ask for its serial number, which was very stupid to post.
Old May 13th 17, 01:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2017-05-11 13:19:43 +0000, "David B."

On 2017-05-11 07:31:32 +0000, Bill W said:

He's probably smart...

[...]

Last year our daughter contracted pneumonia, she was in a medically
induced coma for almost three weeks. Originally her doctors were not
optimistic. Fortunately she recovered. The side effects are expected to
be around for about another six months. Her company was self insured and
they couldn't have treated her better. At one point it was thought that
she needed helicopter transport to Yale New Haven, at a cost of about
$50,000, and they would have picked up the tab. Her CEO went to visit
her in the rehab facility. The next day she was doing her rehab at home,
with private therapists. It gets me upset to even think about that.

--
PeterN
Old May 13th 17, 07:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 2017-05-11 13:19:43 +0000, "David B."

On 2017-05-11 07:31:32 +0000, Bill W said:

He's probably smart...

[...]

Only another parent could understand the pain and anguish you have
experienced, Peter. I most sincerely hope that your daughter makes a
full and complete recovery. When next you see her, give her a hug from
David here in Devon! :-)

I don't have any idea about the odds of this happening, but my
sister-in-law, my wife's sister, lost _her_ second son, Jack (17), in a
car crash about three years after we lost Nick. You can no doubt imagine
how we felt when attending the funeral of our nephew.

I often think about the message in this poem:-
http://www.footprints-inthe-sand.com...=Poem/Poem.php

--
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footprints_(poem)
Old May 13th 17, 04:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2017-05-11 13:19:43 +0000, "David B."

On 2017-05-11 07:31:32 +0000, Bill W said:

He's probably smart...

[...]

The death of a young person, for any reason, is tragic.My wife's
cousin's wife, then 26 with a young baby had terminal cancer and wanted
to make her funeral arrangements. The both asked me to go with her, as
her couldn't. That was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. She
made it almost a comedy. The funeral directer asked where the deceased
was, she stated: "I am the deceased."

I often think about the message in this poem:-
http://www.footprints-inthe-sand.com...=Poem/Poem.php

--
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footprints_(poem)

For me photography is a release from harsh realities.

--
PeterN
Old May 13th 17, 10:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 2017-05-11 13:19:43 +0000, "David B."

On 2017-05-11 07:31:32 +0000, Bill W said:

He's probably smart...

[...]

Indeed it is.

My wife's
cousin's wife, then 26 with a young baby had terminal cancer and wanted
to make her funeral arrangements. The both asked me to go with her, as
her couldn't. That was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. She
made it almost a comedy. The funeral directer asked where the deceased
was, she stated: "I am the deceased."

Perhaps she, like me, believed that death is the beginning, not the end.

Sadly, life is a dying business. It's just a matter of when.

I often think about the message in this poem:-
http://www.footprints-inthe-sand.com...=Poem/Poem.php

--
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footprints_(poem)

For me photography is a release from harsh realities.

I'm glad it helps you.

--
The only people who make a difference are the people who believe they can.