hasselblad and Rolleiflex

Old September 6th 04, 03:50 PM
whitewave

Default hasselblad and Rolleiflex

Maybe it's time to take MF photos. I'm taking my time in thinking
about wich system to buy. I'm considering only zeiss (or Schneider on
Rolleiflex), so Hasselblad and Rolleiflex, and since
ebay-digitalera-prices are cheaper and cheaper, it has no sense for me
to look at Bronica, Mamiya ecc.

Hasselblad, one day I will be able to take portrait with a 150 (or
maybe the 120), to have more backs and maybe a digitalback.

Rolleiflex, I can use it without a tripod, I can carry it everytime I
go out.

This is a problem to be solved by me, and my needs.

But I would like to know your comments about the 80s.
Wich is the best planar?
80 CF t* for Hasselblad?
80 2.8 rolleiflex?

My choice for Rolleiflex is a 3,5 F camera. What do you think about
Xenotar vs. Planar?

Thanks.
Marco Baldovin
www.whitewave.it
Old September 6th 04, 07:48 PM
Neil Gould

Hi Marco,

Recently, whitewave posted:

[...]

At first, I thought you were considering SLR systems from both Hasselblad
and Rollei. TLR vs. SLR is a bit of an apples vs. oranges comparison. But,
I'll offer a few quick notions based on my experience with both the Rollei
TLR and SLR cameras.

IMO, there is little to compare with the compact and efficient design of
the TLR, and the Rolleiflex line is about as good as it gets. In use, most
of the differences between camera models become nuances, rather than
show-stoppers. Most models are really more similar than they are
different.

The Rollei 6000 series SLR cameras are very sophisticated units. Some
consider them to be the most advanced MF SLRs available. I've had the
6008i for a couple of years, now, and feel that there is little that can
compare with the features and quality of this camera system. However, I
question the idea that you'd carry one of these every time you go out.
They aren't the biggest beasts on the market, but they aren't what I'd
consider for backpacking, either. Be prepared to pay dearly to
participate, too. Lenses and accessories are rare and pricey, even on
eBay.

There is a lot of hoopla around the Planar vs. Xenotar question. So much
that just asking can mark you as a troll! ;-) Which is better suited to
you depends on many things, your typical subject matter, your particular
tastes, and so on. I don't believe that anyone will be able to give you a
useful answer as to which one will meet your needs better. Unfortunately,
because of the rarity of Rollei SLRs, it may be difficult to rent both
lenses to compare them yourself, but that is about the only way to get a
definitive answer on this question.

Meanwhile, more information and useful links can be found in web sites
dedicated to medium format. A quick Google search will get you started.

Regards,

Neil

Old September 6th 04, 07:48 PM
Neil Gould

Hi Marco,

Recently, whitewave posted:

Old September 6th 04, 08:33 PM
whitewave

At first, I thought you were considering SLR systems from both Hasselblad
and Rollei. TLR vs. SLR is a bit of an apples vs. oranges comparison. But,
I'll offer a few quick notions based on my experience with both the Rollei
TLR and SLR cameras.

Yes, infact I said that's a problem that I must solve on my own.
I'll use the camera, and I have to decide wich one is better for the
photos I want to take.

The Rollei 6000 series SLR cameras are very sophisticated units. Some
consider them to be the most advanced MF SLRs available. CUT
participate, too. Lenses and accessories are rare and pricey, even on
eBay.

Yes, they are too rare and too expensive. Why not buying Hasselblad
system? The sophisticated specs of the Rollei 600x aren't worth the
extra money, IMHO. At least for my idea of MF photography (mostly,
studio portraits)

There is a lot of hoopla around the Planar vs. Xenotar question. So much
that just asking can mark you as a troll! ;-)

NO!!!! I'm not a troll! I'm only a 23 years old student. I don't
know so much Rolleiflex types to have my belief in their ranking.
I would like only to hear to you comments! ;-)

Which is better suited to
you depends on many things, your typical subject matter, your particular
tastes, and so on. I don't believe that anyone will be able to give you a
useful answer as to which one will meet your needs better.

Ok. I'm italian, and in a photo related NG there was a skillfull
Rollei user. He wrote down a very useful review of any lenses.
Finally, he said that his best is probably the Xenotar 2.8, but he
suggests also to start with the Planar 3,5, because it gives a "more
general" result.
To tell the truth his reviews are very well written, and every
thoughts is well explained. I'm sorry, but my english isn't as good
to let you understand all the nuances of his speech.

Unfortunately,
because of the rarity of Rollei SLRs, it may be difficult to rent both
lenses to compare them yourself, but that is about the only way to get a
definitive answer on this question.

In Italy it's VERY difficult to rent photo equipment.

Meanwhile, more information and useful links can be found in web sites
dedicated to medium format. A quick Google search will get you started.

Ok.

Regards,

Neil

Thanks a lot for your answer (and not to considering me a troll ;-)).

Marco Baldovin
www.whitewave.it

Old September 6th 04, 08:53 PM
Martin Francis

http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/test/fourcameras.html

FWIW.

no, and yes...."

Old September 6th 04, 08:53 PM
Martin Francis

Old September 7th 04, 01:08 AM
Stefano Bramato

maybe starting with rolleiflex TLR is cheaper than starting with
Hassie and you can have excellent results: you can have a good
training and some resutls soon.

After few time you can decide to empty your piggybank with buying an
Hasselblad outfit. But if you stay in tune with Rolleiflex (I've two,
a Tesar and a Planar 2,8) is the same quality that hasselblad, and
you can find exciting to shoot with the same focal length everytime:
it's a real challenge.

My choice for Rolleiflex is a 3,5 F camera. What do you think about
Xenotar vs. Planar?

Never tryed Xenotar but Planar works excellent.

ciao

--
Non è bello cio che è bello figuriamoci cio che è brutto!