I was recently at an all-around outdoors store, and the proprietor told me that some people use spotting scopes...

Old August 3rd 10, 05:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scotius[_3_]

Default I was recently at an all-around outdoors store, and the proprietor told me that some people use spotting scopes...

I had asked if it would be possible to get an adapter that
would allow the attachment of a DSLR to a spotting scope, and he noted
that there are some that allow the lens of the spotting scope to be
removed, and the camera to be mounted directly to it.
Obviously, any shots taken with this set up would be from a
tripod unless an extremely fast shutter speed is used, but wouldn't
the magnification mean the sensor would be getting a limited amount of
light except in extremely bright daylight?
I also saw a nice set of 15x binoculars there for about 119...
but I don't need those...
So anyway, all this got me thinking; would it be possible to
adapt half of a binocular using an adapter ring to an SLR, etc?
Binoculars are rather cheap (and so are spotting scopes) in
comparison to higher end zoom lenses.
Any thoughts on this?
Old August 3rd 10, 05:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Better Info[_6_]

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 00:01:53 -0400, Scotius wrote:

I had asked if it would be possible to get an adapter that
would allow the attachment of a DSLR to a spotting scope, and he noted
that there are some that allow the lens of the spotting scope to be
removed, and the camera to be mounted directly to it.
Obviously, any shots taken with this set up would be from a
tripod unless an extremely fast shutter speed is used, but wouldn't
the magnification mean the sensor would be getting a limited amount of
light except in extremely bright daylight?
I also saw a nice set of 15x binoculars there for about 119...
but I don't need those...
So anyway, all this got me thinking; would it be possible to
adapt half of a binocular using an adapter ring to an SLR, etc?
Binoculars are rather cheap (and so are spotting scopes) in
comparison to higher end zoom lenses.
Any thoughts on this?

Can be done, but you have to still think "aperture". Divide the
focal-length of the main objective lens by its diameter. You'll find you're
using really small apertures.

Research "digi-scoping" or "digiscoping".

I found that any superzoom camera with a high-quality telextender on it, or
even stacked telextenders, to provide 3-5 more stops aperture with much
less effort and hassle (adapters, tripod, cumbersome optics tube, etc.)
while providing just as good if not much better image quality.

Take for example this image someone posted once, using two stacked 1.7x
telextenders on a handheld (no tripod used) older superzoom camera.
Shooting with a 35mm equivalent focal-length (EFL) of 1248mm at f3.5.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3141/3060429818_b01dbdb8ac_o.jpg

The OP explaining another 1.7x digital-zoom was used to take advantage of
the little extra resolution you can get from upsampling direct from the
sensor in-camera. Giving the image, and real world performance, of a
2,122mm EFL lens at f/3.5. You'd be hard pressed to even find any telescope
optics that could accomplish that, let alone a spotting scope or
binoculars.

Many newer superzoom cameras with their even greater focal-lengths, when
used along with high-quality telextenders, could go far beyond that. A
combination that can all fit in one windbreaker pocket.

Old August 3rd 10, 06:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-08-02 21:01:53 -0700, Scotius said:

I had asked if it would be possible to get an adapter that
would allow the attachment of a DSLR to a spotting scope, and he noted
that there are some that allow the lens of the spotting scope to be
removed, and the camera to be mounted directly to it.
Obviously, any shots taken with this set up would be from a
tripod unless an extremely fast shutter speed is used, but wouldn't
the magnification mean the sensor would be getting a limited amount of
light except in extremely bright daylight?
I also saw a nice set of 15x binoculars there for about 119...
but I don't need those...
So anyway, all this got me thinking; would it be possible to
adapt half of a binocular using an adapter ring to an SLR, etc?
Binoculars are rather cheap (and so are spotting scopes) in
comparison to higher end zoom lenses.
Any thoughts on this?

You might get better answers here;
http://digiscopediary.forumotion.com...-equipment-f1/
http://www.digiscoped.com/Index.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/browse...1/N/4294541778

Savageduck

Old August 3rd 10, 06:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
rwalker

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 00:01:53 -0400, Scotius wrote:

So anyway, all this got me thinking; would it be possible to
adapt half of a binocular using an adapter ring to an SLR, etc?
Binoculars are rather cheap (and so are spotting scopes) in
comparison to higher end zoom lenses.
Any thoughts on this?

I don't see why not. I do a lot of photomicrography, and one of my
adapters is simply the appropriate T-ring at one end (Canon EOS in my
case). The rest is a simple aluminum barrel, with two sets of three
nylon screws each, which attach the adapter to the microscope
eyepiece. I attach the adapter instead of a lens and use the
microscope as the lens. This adapter has no glass in it, but simply
uses the microscope's glass. Once attached, I focus through the
camera's viewfinder. I have other more expensive adapters that
include their own lenses, but you get a more restricted field of view
with them. If you had a similar adapter that could fit the ocular
lens of one side of a binocular, I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Old August 3rd 10, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen[_3_]

rwalker wrote:
[...]

As I recall, the lamented Spiratone had lots of adapters for that sort
of thing--but that was then and this is now. I miss some of those old
mail order places like Spiratone and Edmund Scientific.
Allen
Old August 3rd 10, 03:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Richard[_5_]

"Allen" wrote in message
rwalker wrote:
[...]

Maybe you'll find this of interest?
http://www.srb-griturn.com/

Richard

Old August 3rd 10, 04:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-08-03 07:44:28 -0700, Allen said:

rwalker wrote:
[...]

http://www.telescopeadapters.com/

Savageduck

Old August 3rd 10, 08:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen[_3_]

Richard wrote:

Maybe you'll find this of interest?
http://www.srb-griturn.com/

Richard

Thanks!
Allen
Old August 3rd 10, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scotius[_3_]

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 09:44:28 -0500, Allen
wrote:

rwalker wrote:
[...]

Edmund Scientific is still in business, as is Edmund
Industrial Optics.
I remember reading about Edmund's
"Binocular-110-camera-combo". It was cheap too, and it worked.