[Article] Documenting old buildings

Old April 12th 05, 05:38 PM
Alan Browne

Default [Article] Documenting old buildings

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...l=chi-news-hed

If the link doesn't work, just go to the chicago tribune webpage, the
link is on the 'front' page.

Cheers,
Alan
-- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old April 12th 05, 06:13 PM
David Nebenzahl

On 4/12/2005 9:38 AM Alan Browne spake thus:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...l=chi-news-hed

If the link doesn't work, just go to the chicago tribune webpage, the
link is on the 'front' page.

Can't think of a better thing to do with a camera. Thanks for that.
Too bad there are so many subjects for him to photograph, though.

--
"I know I will go to hell, because I pardoned Richard Nixon."

- Former President Gerald Ford to his golf partners, as related by
the late Hunter S. Thompson

Old April 13th 05, 09:28 AM
Lassi Hippeläinen

David Nebenzahl kirjoitti:
On 4/12/2005 9:38 AM Alan Browne spake thus:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...l=chi-news-hed

If the link doesn't work, just go to the chicago tribune webpage, the
link is on the 'front' page.

Can't think of a better thing to do with a camera. Thanks for that.
Too bad there are so many subjects for him to photograph, though.

Local authorities should be responsible for documenting old buildings
while they stand. That was done in my home town, before the old wooden
houses were torn down to make room for 'modern' concrete blocks - and
that was a century ago. (The later politicians haven't been as wise...)

http://www.helsinginsanomat.fi/engli.../1101978296377
http://www2.helsinginsanomat.fi/extr...sta/kuvat.html
http://www.hel.fi/kaumuseo/kuvark/ebrander.html

-- Lassi

Old April 13th 05, 01:11 PM
J.Scheimpflug

"Lassi Hippeläinen" wrote in message

Local authorities should be responsible for documenting old buildings
while they stand. That was done in my home town, [...]

Thanks for the links. The pictures are particularly interesting in many
ways. Look at this one, for example:
http://www.hel.fi/kaumuseo/kuvark/esbheikin.html

Action is stopped as shown by the woman caught in midstride as she crosses
the street. Pictures I have of our little Mississippi River town taken on at
about the same time all have longer exposures. I thought it might be due to
the very slow emulsions of the time. Clearly that's not the case.

Old April 14th 05, 02:11 PM
Lassi Hippeläinen

J.Scheimpflug wrote:

"Lassi Hippeläinen" wrote in message

Local authorities should be responsible for documenting old buildings
while they stand. That was done in my home town, [...]

Thanks for the links. The pictures are particularly interesting in many
ways. Look at this one, for example:
http://www.hel.fi/kaumuseo/kuvark/esbheikin.html

Action is stopped as shown by the woman caught in midstride as she crosses
the street. Pictures I have of our little Mississippi River town taken on
at about the same time all have longer exposures. I thought it might be
due to the very slow emulsions of the time. Clearly that's not the case.

I don't know what emulsions she used, but clearly they must have been
sensitive for the time. She used 18x24cm glass plates, and to get the depth
of field, aperture was small.
http://www.helsinginsanomat.fi/engli.../1101978296397

-- Lassi