70 mm film

Old April 11th 05, 07:43 AM
Charles Hohenstein

Default 70 mm film

Does anyone have a convenient summary (maybe on a web page) of what
films are still available in 70 mm format?

Thanks,

Charles Hohenstein
Old April 11th 05, 12:22 PM
Nick Zentena

Charles Hohenstein wrote:
Does anyone have a convenient summary (maybe on a web page) of what
films are still available in 70 mm format?

You could see what B&H is stocking. Basically I think the choices are
portrait films. Maybe one or two choices from each company. Plus some aerial
films. Kodak makes I think one B&W film. JandC is going to bring in Efke
70mm. It also depends if you need perforated or not.

Nick
Old April 11th 05, 05:27 PM
Charles Hohenstein

Nick Zentena wrote:

Charles Hohenstein wrote:
Does anyone have a convenient summary (maybe on a web page) of what
films are still available in 70 mm format?

You could see what B&H is stocking. Basically I think the choices are
portrait films. Maybe one or two choices from each company. Plus some aerial
films. Kodak makes I think one B&W film. JandC is going to bring in Efke
70mm. It also depends if you need perforated or not.

That's interesting information about the Efke. I wonder which film it
will be. I don't presently have a 70 mm back, but I keep noticing how
inexpensively they are selling on eBay--presumably because not much film
is available any more. I just wondered exactly how bad the situation is.
I did a search at the Adorama web site and I only came up with 2
films--one of the Kodak Portra films, and a Fuji slide duplicating film.
It doesn't sound encouraging.

Charles Hohenstein
Old April 12th 05, 06:41 AM
raoul

In article , Nick Zentena
wrote:

Charles Hohenstein wrote:
Does anyone have a convenient summary (maybe on a web page) of what
films are still available in 70 mm format?

You could see what B&H is stocking. Basically I think the choices are
portrait films. Maybe one or two choices from each company. Plus some aerial
films. Kodak makes I think one B&W film. JandC is going to bring in Efke
70mm. It also depends if you need perforated or not.

Perforated is harder to find than unperforated. Portra 160 is
available in perf and non perf and there are a few aerial films. Tri-X
is available in unperforated but not perforated.

All the Hassy backs need perforated film. At one time, they could be
converted to using non perforated film but I have not been able to find
a repair outlet to make the conversion or been able to find a vendor
for the parts (basically a roller without cogs). I have heard via a
member of the Hassy list that the non-peerf conversion doesn't work
that well either (bad spacing, non-advancement of film, etc.)

Kind of a shame because the ability to have 50 shots loaded up could be
handy. However, the price of 220 backs isn't that high any more and 24
shots are quite a few, too. Even if the 70mm film was avaialbe, there
is/was no financial benefit for bulk loading 70mm as there is with
35mm. I fugred it out once and it actually was a little bit more
expensive than using 120 or 220.

I have a 70mm roller, a Hassy back and a developing reel. If J&C
brings in perforated 70mm, I'll probably get some. I have a bunch of
short dated Kodak ASA 400 'survailence film' which is kinda like Tri-X
but I'll like to get something newer, fresher and better.

Old April 12th 05, 08:55 AM

I have a vaque impression that you can load 2 35mm films to a 70mm
back.

If you load a slide and a negative, or a color and a B&W, that might be
a convenient way for the twin shots. Of course that means you'll have
to shoot both films for each advance.

Down this route, a 90 degree view finder will be neat.

Old April 12th 05, 08:55 AM

I have a vaque impression that you can load 2 35mm films to a 70mm
back.

If you load a slide and a negative, or a color and a B&W, that might be
a convenient way for the twin shots. Of course that means you'll have
to shoot both films for each advance.

Down this route, a 90 degree view finder will be neat.

Old April 12th 05, 08:55 AM

I have a vaque impression that you can load 2 35mm films to a 70mm
back.

If you load a slide and a negative, or a color and a B&W, that might be
a convenient way for the twin shots. Of course that means you'll have
to shoot both films for each advance.

Down this route, a 90 degree view finder will be neat.

Old April 12th 05, 05:32 PM
RSD99

"einst_stein" posted:
"...
I have a vaque impression that you can load 2 35mm films to a 70mm
back.
...."

No.

It doesn't work that way.